The CAA AMV Challenge

Projects or project ideas in the works

The CAA AMV Challenge

Postby Straylight » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:04 pm

I remember that when the CAA first moved domains, there was a fair bit of talk about creating an AMV video. This is my challenge:

To create a completely original AMV.

Criteria:

+ The soundtrack must be original and Christian -- cocolove came to our boards a while back with the track "Cosmic Butterfly". A good possible candidate.
+ Animation must be original (do we have any animators on the boards? what about software? any 3d skills around?)
+ Aim for a secular audience and create something that subtly conveys a Christian message
+ Fairly short (around 2 minutes long)

Here is something to ponder over:

http://www.pleix.net/movies/futureshock.mov
http://www.pleix.net/movies/e-baby.mov - less relevant but still pretty clever

(beware, some of the other movies on that site and extremely dodgy so do not bother browsing around, just watch the movies given here)

I think it'd be amazing if we successfully put something together. It'd be a great witness.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Ashley » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:53 pm

Hey, great idea! And as of tomorrow, we might have a real prize to give away!
Ashley

Postby glitch1501 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:47 pm

that sounds like a awesome idea, ill talk to my brother and see if he wants to do it

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Rashiir » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:58 pm

Awesome. I'm taking Computer Animation, so I've got a bunch of apps and plenty of time...
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby Straylight » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:43 pm

BTW, I was thinking that this could be something that we all work towards, more like a challenge for the CAA as a whole :)
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby shamanking343 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:16 am

this might sound silly but what is a AMV video?? and is it like a opening move when you first open the site?
I AM THE WAY INTO THE DOLEFUL CITY
I AM THE WAY INTO ETERNAL GRIEF,
I AM THE WAY TO A FORSAKEN RACE.
JUSTICE IT WAS THAT MOVED MY GREAT CREATOR;
DIVINE OMNIPOTENCE CREATED ME,
AND HIGHEST WISDOM JOINED WITH PRIMAL LOVE.
BEFORE ME NOTHING BUT ETERNAL THINGS
WERE MADE, AND I SHALL LAST ETERNALLY
ABANDON ALL HOPE, ALL YOU WHO ENTER

my website ^(^ :rock:
shamanking343

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:13 am

Ah! Good question, actually. AMV = Anime (or animated) Music Video. It's usually a bunch of clips out of various anime that is put to a song. It's usually highly appropriate to the anime, such as a bunch of Ryoga clips to the Proclaimers "500 Miles," or a bunch of Lum clips to "Linger."

Check out the links above for more ideas.
Mithrandir

Postby Kisa » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:33 pm

Sounds cool! What about making AMVs to present on this site from animes as well? Like AMV sites do?
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby JediSonic » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:15 pm

Are those quicktime movies supposed to go with music or any kind of sound? I've been messing with my sound card lately and I get the strong impression that "futureshock" was supposed to go with a song.
JediSonic

Postby Straylight » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:07 pm

It might be a good idea to test the water with some anime series/film AMV's, but I think it'd be cool if we worked towards something completely original.
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Danyasaur » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:09 am

that's so cool! so like whoever wants to make the animation does it, then we pick the best one? *cuz' I was think of maybey doing one*
[color="DimGray"]I don't believe that I would die if I saw you face to face;
but that my spirit would become so alive it took my body's place.

- Danya[/color]
Danyasaur

Postby JediSonic » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:20 pm

That would be really awesome... although, it would be hard to match the ones that dj posted -- like that "ebaby" thing... look at all the polygons 0_0
JediSonic

Postby Straylight » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:02 pm

arch_angel wrote:that's so cool! so like whoever wants to make the animation does it, then we pick the best one? *cuz' I was think of maybey doing one*

No.

" wrote:BTW, I was thinking that this could be something that we all work towards, more like a challenge for the CAA as a whole

I seriously doubt we'll come up with something decent if we work seperately. The idea of this challenge is for CAA members to work together and create something completely original. :)
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:18 pm

Interesting... That "superhero complex" thing was the most creative use of what appeared to be 2d vector animation (like flash) I've ever seen... Now if something like that could be used to tell a more straightforward story...

Anyhow, I've wanted to make music videos for my favorite band, Waterdeep, for a long time... I'd probably want too much creative control... Anyhow..

Both the soundtrack and the animation have to be completely original? So, you're saying we gotta write a song? Well, I tend to think I'm good with lyrics, even though they'd have to be refined a bit depending on how we'd fit them into a song... Of course, I could THINK I'm good all I wanted, and still not have anyone who agrees with me... ^_^;

Anyhow, I could write up some lyrics to throw at you all if you gave me a theme... I mean, Emotions, circumstances, purpose, etc... I could write lyrics for someone to write music to. Or, I suppose I could write lyrics to an allready written (but un, er, "lyriced") melody.

For anyone like me who has to explore the site Straylight posted, I must say that there's nudity in the "beeps/clicks" video... Also, for those offended by the nudity, I'd say you'd be put off by the "beauty kit" video... It's purpose is pretty clear after the first segment... It's a satire piece and a little gross...

Oh... And the Plaid Itsu one is pretty nasty too... Once again, a forcefully disturbing satire piece (I'm guessing it's protesting the meat market)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Straylight » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:29 pm

If you feel like examining the rest of that place, do so at your own risk.. I directly linked to the videos for a reason, and clearly warned about the rest of that place.

Regarding songs and such, I have a music studio setup of sorts over here, so I can produce. I'm no good at writing lyrics or singing though, nor am I good at any type of animation or film sequencing. Regarding songs, if someone got access to a decent mic and sang over a metronome I could arrange it to some beats. I'm actually having a go at arranging something that OldPhil wrote at the moment.
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:49 pm

I do Photoshop Layered Cell a
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:49 pm

Straylight wrote:If you feel like examining the rest of that place, do so at your own risk.. I directly linked to the videos for a reason, and clearly warned about the rest of that place.

Regarding songs and such, I have a music studio setup of sorts over here, so I can produce. I'm no good at writing lyrics or singing though, nor am I good at any type of animation or film sequencing. Regarding songs, if someone got access to a decent mic and sang over a metronome I could arrange it to some beats. I'm actually having a go at arranging something that OldPhil wrote at the moment.

Oops, sorry bout that. I must have missed that. Anyhow, here's a song I allready posted in "writing" a while back. I'd really like someone to make music for it, preferably nothing chirpy or too happy (it's supposed to be a meloncholic psalm) I had something like Linkin Park in mind (no joke) but since I'm not writing it, I'm definatly open to suggestions from anyone who can make music.

I'll link to the thread in a bit (TO EDIT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:56 pm

correction... I never posted it in "writing" i posted it in goof off... Fire your random thoughts. Also, I didn't post it in "song form"

Anyhow, here it is.

Verse 1
watch the flow
through the logs on the side
this dam ain't holdin,
So hold on for a ride
The ride's quite stale
but the pull won't let go
Black hole calling
Through my mind's grey snow

Chorus
want a peek into my mind now
I think it may scare you
Look through my window to my soul
There's the smoke to move through
You can take a stroll through my thoughts
I think they may scare you
Find the end of the road
But the trees will hold you

Verse 2
Progress made
When you look to your left
You'll see the past there
It captures your breath
The road ahead
Is under construction
That empty void-
can't escape the suction

Verse 3
Is it done?
Am I free in a moment?
I found my light
But from whom was it sent?
I try to look
To the real lightgiver
I need some help
Now before forever

Chorus 2
Take a look into my soul now
It can't scare you
You see past flesh into my heart
Only you can move through
You can find the light that was lit
And give to it flame anew
You can see to my heart.
And do in me what you meant to

That's about it... That's prolly why no one commented on my song... Its' because it was in a very hidden position. So, yeah.

This may not be appropriate for this purpose because it's so personal, but it meets the requirements of original and Christian, albeit with metaphorical language.
Bobtheduck

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:31 pm

Me like. Very spiritual and touchin
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Saint Kevin » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:49 pm

I have a song I've been working on with the keyboard for a while. It's maybe a little melancholy (done in C minor), but probably too upbeat right now for this. Maybe if I slow the tempo it'd be better. The biggest problem with it though is that I have way too simple a chord progression, and its gonna need some serious work if it's gonna go on for like 2 or 3 minutes like that. Maybe I could post a little of the stuff I've been screwing around with, and some other musicians could collaborate with me, and perhaps write other layers of music on top of my stuff, or just take my theme and make it their own...I don't know.
I've got Acid Pro so I could in theory do a mix of some sort, but I really don't know how to use it yet because I just got it. If you're interested, maybe I could find a midi keyboard here at school and post a file somewhere once I record it.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:41 pm

Hmm... if you wanna tackle it, maybe you can post a link to a rough draft as it were.
Bobtheduck

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:45 pm

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but how much does it cost to copyright lyrics? Maybe in Poem form? I'll let you guy's use it, but I do want the ability to use it for my own purposes, including something commercial (since it is, afterall, my own thoughts) so I don't want some guest popping in here and snatching this up as lyrics for their own song and copyrighting it, putting their name on it and preventing me from using MY OWN SONG... It's happened to my brother more than once.
Bobtheduck

Postby Straylight » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:48 am

I really like the song you have written, Bobtheduck. I think we could definately use that, thanks for posting it here. As far as copyrights are concerned, any material you submit is very much your own. Considering this is a group project, the copyright for it will emphasize that the ownership of material belongs individually to those who contributed. Regarding copyright law, any original material created by an artist is automatically copyrighted to them. Costs will probably have something to do with registering with an organisation who's purpose it is to enforce copyrights.
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Saint Kevin » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:25 pm

On second thought, I'm gonna put my song on the back burner for a while. My piano skills are improving, but they're nothing to be impressed with yet. Also, I really, really need to tweak the chord progressions a lot. Maybe down the road at some point...
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby JediSonic » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:17 am

Bobtheduck, cool song :thumb:

I'm not sure if I'd have much chance at making a good beat for it though, since I rarely listen to lincoln park.
JediSonic

Postby brantelg » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:05 am

This idea is really awesome! We should all get to work on it! That'd Be Sweet!
brantelg

Postby Kenchii » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:43 pm

Currently I am working on FlashMX in my computer graphic art design class, and my teacher is instructing me to learn how to make animations and games using FMX. Once I get the hang of it, (I am already on that ^.^) I will start making some clips to add on the AMV. Because at the moment what really inspired me to use Flash was that I can draw really good on it. Unlike my counterparts, Okaki fourms and such I am not good at drawing. But I will definally look into drawing some anime-inspirted chracters for that song you made Bobtheduck. I'll probally makes them too individual images and add the digital effects too them to spark the AMV up a-bit. Otherwise, i'll be back posting updates on how I am coming along later.
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:13 pm

Sorry for grave digging, but this project was so exciting when it started! What happened?! I may get some friends to put music to my lyrics, so you can use that if you want, but... Is any work or planning still being done on this project?
Bobtheduck

Return to New Projects and Ideas