Skipping Tomorrows webmanga

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

Skipping Tomorrows webmanga

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:57 am

I've been working on this for a while, and it's finally started off. The update schedule is on the site. You can either go to hoodiegypsy.com and then click on Skipping Tomorrows, or you can go straight to Skipping Tomorrows. ^^

I'll apologize here for the art quality - I drew these over a year ago and my art style has changed a lot (as you can see from the recently drawn cover art vs. the 1st page). It's total shoujo ... sorry shonen fans, no fights or explosions/ :sweat:.

All the extra links aren't working yet - I hope to get that fixed later today, but I've been coding all morning, and I need to kill something in Guilty Gear X for a bit before going back to HTMLing.

Skipping Tomorrows: PG

Violence: 2 Towards the very end, there's a teeny bit of a violent/dark scene.

Language: 1 No swearing, no taking God's name in vain. I think I used the word "crap" in the script at one point, but who knows if I'll keep it in there.

Sexual Content: 2 There are some very, very mild innuendos and some ... misunderstandings. Nothing is crass or of bad taste.

Nudity: 1 Um, Shawn won't have a shirt on for a few frames if that counts. ^^;

Bad Religion: 2 There is actually nothing religious about Skipping Tomorrows. However, there is a theme of time travel meshing with destiny, and that might count as bad religion.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:04 pm

Waaaaaahooooooooooooooooooooo!

I've been waiting to see this for sooooooooooo long! Awesome job, already! And pffh, what's there to mind about the HTML? I've seen loads worse *cough LT cough*. Awesome, awesome job! Keep it up the good work, AND YOU BETTER NOT DROP THIS ONE!
Ashley

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:26 pm

Awesooooome. Keep it up! Don't leave us hangin'! XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:08 pm

Don't worry, the next update will be tomorrow. If I get lots more pages done ahead of time, I might do double updates or something, but I don't feel like I'm far enough ahead do start doing that yet. ^^;
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:22 am

I got the page index and character profiles up late last night, so those links work. If anyone has any constructive feedback, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know. Again, I'm sorry that the layout is so ugly, but at least I hope it's functional.
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:27 pm

I like Jennifer's birthday! XD
Ashley

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:39 pm

*starts laughing* Would you believe that was just a random date in my head? I thought it was random, but it must have been stuck in my brain's cache. ;)
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:27 pm

My first thought at the thread title was "Who is Tomorrow and what is wrong with their manga?" I'm posting here in the hope of reading your manga in the future, as I don't have time now.
uc pseudonym

Postby inkhana » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:43 pm

Yay! I finally got to read it~! Great job, looking forward to more.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Mave » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:42 pm

*gasp* You color the pages, you crazy gal! XDDD

I like the way you draw your characters; I'm definitely looking forward to updates! *nods nods*
Mave

Postby faithfighter » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:09 pm

its really great!!!!!!! can't wait to read more!
[color="Green"][font="Verdana"]There is no one you can't love once you know their story-Mary Lou Lawnacki[/font][/color]
faithfighter

Postby Ashley » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:48 pm

*gasp* You color the pages, you crazy gal!

I dunno, I'm almost convinced coloring is easier than managing screentones. O_o Besides, Gyp has a really unique way of coloring which is to be applauded XD
Ashley

Postby Stephen » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:15 am

I somehow missed this thread...yet still saw your new work. I was thumbing through some links in a folder of mine...and loaded up your site. The stuff looks good, I look forward to seeing the whole thing. *laughs* And as I said about that Pagoda so long ago, your good at what you do Gypsy. (Don't let this go the same way that poor building did though. ;)) Cool beans.
Stephen

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:04 am

Ah. For a moment I thought you had three chapters up and I was overwhelmed by the amount of content. Having now read the beginning I can say that despite the fact that I know nothing about this project, I'm at least interested from what I've seen so far. The coloring looks nice.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:03 am

Thank you. I actually find coloring a lot easier than screentoning. :sweat:
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:15 pm

Yay, another page! Everyone go read RIGHT NOW.

And for the record, I've been to that bridge! *O*
Ashley

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:51 pm

Ashley wrote:Yay, another page! Everyone go read RIGHT NOW.

O__O You can be rather scary at times Ashy XD

Btw, I never said how much I'm liking this Gypsy :thumb: Great work!
Hephzibah

Postby CreatureArt » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:26 am

I haven't really read any webmanga before... I can see that this is going to change.

A very cool story. The introduction is very engaging, and really draws the reader in. I'm liking the main character Shawn, too.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Sakura15 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:01 am

Wow, this is great! *can't wait for more* hehe.
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby soul alive » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:22 am

very cool. i likes it, especially that it's colored. looking forward to seeing more.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:13 pm

Talame wrote:O__O You can be rather scary at times Ashy XD

You have no idea ... *shudders*

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. It means a lot. ^^ Actually, I'm going to put up another page for a weekend bonus just cause everyone is being so nice (that, and Ashley is being psycho). I won't alway be able to do this because of my schedule, but I might as well do bonus updates while I can.
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:43 pm

Hey, it got out an extra page, didn't it? So who's complaining? :evil:
Ashley

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:10 pm

For some reason, my site likes to cache. If a link doesn't take you were it should, try refreshing the page and then clicking the link again. I'm sorry about that. -_-
Gypsy

Postby Hephzibah » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:16 pm

Yay! Another great job Gypsy! :grin: Emma is so purty O, btw, I have a question... how long does it take you, on average, to make a complete page?
Hephzibah

Postby CreatureArt » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:58 am

An update!

Thanks, Gypsy! I agree with Talame; Emma is pretty. I really like the vacant expression, too. It gives a very mysterious air.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Mave » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:32 am

Excellent job, Gypsy! This is getting interesting. X33

As for the coloring comment, if it works for you, go for it! *nods nods*
Mave

Postby Gypsy » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:47 am

Talame wrote:O, btw, I have a question... how long does it take you, on average, to make a complete page?

Oh goodness, I don't know. At the beginning I tried to keep track of how much time I was putting in. The sketching and inking is what takes me the longest - I'd say on average about 30 minutes per inked frame (I know, I'm slow :sweat: ) and then 7-15 minutes per frame in photoshop depending on the background. Then there's page layout and adding text and that usually takes me 20 minutes per page. So most pages have an average of 6 frames so ... *thinks* I put roughly 5 hours in for an average page.

CreatureArt wrote:Emma is pretty. I really like the vacant expression, too. It gives a very mysterious air.

When I first scripted and sketched the layout for the page, I had her reading, so Emma's intro scene was with a book. But as I moved along in the script I had a very hard time establishing Emma's character and I had to go back. Showing her reading didn't really give any indirect clue as to what kind of person she was, while showing her spacing out gives you more of a clue to Emma's personality. So I'm glad you liked it. ^^

And I'm happy that people think Emma is pretty now ... you'll have to put up with some iffy art in the upcoming pages. They're all such old sketches. -_-
Gypsy

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:59 am

I'm not into these sort of mangas at all but your art style is very interesting, I love it! 5 hours a page? That actually seems pretty quick to my understanding. But maybe its just that I was really slow when I did my comic (not manga). I guess mine was more along the lines of a Tintin album in number of frames per page compared to manga's usual number, so that could have something to do with it.
I really love your unique colouring!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Syreth » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:17 pm

Yay! Great job so far. I really enjoy your style and your colors too! It would take me forever to color it like that. Do you use a tablet or a good ol' mouse?
Syreth

Postby Gypsy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:36 am

Thanks! ^^ I am a chronic tablet user, I'm afraid (Graphire 2). I actually don't have a mouse hooked up to my computer - I use my tablet all the time. This was because when I was a video editor, I found the tablet to be more precise when moving clips around on a timeline. However, I do keep the mouse tool handy for when other people need to use my comp. ^^

I'm sorry today's updates were a little late ... I overslept quite badly this morning. :sweat:

Warrior 4 Jesus, thanks for the encouragement! I was a little worried about the genre I chose to start off with, since it sits right between mellow and boring. But thank you for reading it!
Gypsy

Next

Return to Webmanga/comics