CAA Triple Triad Game

Projects or project ideas in the works

CAA Triple Triad Game

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:28 am

OK. Lots of people (OK 2) PM'd me and asked if I was serious about this. I made a mention in passing of setting up a Triple Triad game (the card game from FF8) that used cards made out of user accounts from CAA and a random number generator. It sorta snowballed. At the moment, I have the DB of all the users (as of 1:30 PM yesterday) that was pulled from the "the list" link a the top of the page. It also has the random values. You can see this list at http://www.flactem.com/cgi-bin/tt/db_manager.cgi?action=search&table_name=tt_cards if you want.

Now comes the fun part. I'm actually considering building a fully functional javascript program that lets you play TT if anyone would want to beta/really play. Since I'll be putting the whole system togther from scratch, I'll also build a set of cards that are truely from TT and set up AIs to play. So in effect, there would be two systems - possible allowing us to merge the two. That way you could play (for example) and Ashley card against a Squall card. :)

When I took a JS class a while back, I built a Javascript program that lets you play pyramid ( http://www.flactem.com/ocelot/pyramid/ ) and I'm thinking it wouldn't be too tough to do this. The pyramid game was about a one to two week project, but required no DB interaction. I'm guessing the TT would be about a 1 month project.

So, any one interested, or should I just forget this?

*edit: Moved pyramid game to my server, changed URL of table. (See below)*
Mithrandir

Postby inkhana » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:35 am

He he, I think that's kinda neat! Question: will it be relatively easy to incorporate new members/take out old ones? Will you use their avatars for the pics on the cards or something? I never played Triple Triad; so I hope someone writes a good FAQ! :lol:

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:39 am

I have written a DB engine that lets one add/delete stuff from the web, so anyone that I give access to will be able to edit/delete stuff. If this get's popular enough, I'll have the program just login to CAA and get the list of users that are added/deleted each night (or on demand). That way we'll be able to ensure no one is mucking with the card vals. Also, I have to add the moderators/admin/webmasters to the system, but I can't figure out who get's the higher value cards. ;) Obviously Ash get's the Squall (highest val) card, but where do the rest of you guys fall... I wonder... Acutally, I think I'll just run EVERYONE through the same engine, and whoever has the best random card is left up to chance. That's probably the best way to avoid tension.

*edit: As for avitars or whatever on the card pics, I'm open to suggestions.*
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:57 am

OK. I have just made everyone random. Even mods/wms/adms/owners. :) That's much more fair.
Mithrandir

Postby Master Kenzo » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:19 am

This sounds pretty cool...and it would probably be best to use avatars, IMHO.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:32 am

OK. I have updated the page so that it no longer:
1. Is just an HTML page.
2. Uses the old format.
3. Allows a 'zero' value.

New Page: http://www.flactem.com/cgi-bin/tt/db_manager.cgi?action=search&table_name=tt_cards
Mithrandir

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:21 pm

That is so great! Hey, if you'd like, I can go through and actually make graphics of them so that they'll look like TT cards, using the radomly generated values. Or maybe you're already doing that. That is so fun!
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:38 pm

I just finished setting default graphics to each of them so that they match the avitars. I think it would be way cooler to have different (read 'consistant') graphics. Then we also need the back of the cards and a default graphic (for users with no avitar).
Most importantly, I think, is deciding on a consistant size for the cards. My thinking is that the board should semi-accuratly reflect the game in general. that means space for a 3x3 grid, plus two sets of cards (one on either side.) That means space for 5 cards across and 5 cards down, plus the spaces in between. Assuming the default screen size is 800x600 (and the user has maximized their window) we can have cards up to approx 100 pixles tall. The standard ration of width to height is .71428 (2.5" by 3.5" for bicycle poker 808s). That means that the width should be approx 71 or 72 pixles.

So, any takers?
Mithrandir

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:41 pm

I'd like to, but if someone else really wanted to do it, just say the word. If no, then I'd be glad to.
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:31 pm

I'd say wait about 24 hours. If no one claims it, jump first!

:)
Mithrandir

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:40 pm

oldphilosopher wrote:I'd say wait about 24 hours. If no one claims it, jump first!

(laughs) It's what Gypsy's do best!
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:19 pm

> > ... jump first!

> It's what Gypsy's do best!

Hence the sig? ;)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby MillyFan » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:05 am

I'd like to join in the game-I love that game, though I usually always lose.

Hey, is there a way we could make custom cards/decks? Like not only user cards and original TT cards, but like various anime characters and whatnot? I think it would be kind of cool because that way you could have the opportunity to have a lineup of character cards from an anime or game if you won against all the people that have them originally (i.e. you could have a all summon monsters deck or an all mecha deck or. . .)

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:28 am

Alright, guess I'm doing the graphics!
Gypsy

Postby Straylight » Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:50 pm

I'd love to know how you created those cards. You certainly didn't add them all manually (judging by the time of creation for each one). Did you crawl the user index with a bot or something? Or has Ashley given you a copy of the CAA's database? ;)
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:59 am

I'd love to know how you created those cards.

LWP baby. Robots are my LIFE! LONG LIVE PERL!

Oh yeah. I'm back, so I guess I can start some work on this. It's gonna be a 5 phase project:
1. Database & Backend design
2. Javascript front end POC test interface and AI system.
3. Java interface to allow user-user game play.
4. Beta test and Feature Creep.
5. Release 1.0

The DBA in me decided to break this system up into a few categories. First off, I'm setting up the MySQL DB such that it has three tables: Cards, Decks and Users. The Cards DB will have a single record for each card in the game. It will contain card values and pic stats, etc. The Users DB will have a single record for each registered user, and will contain the users stats, picture (just in case...) and possibly an AI class. I added the last field on inspiration so that we can have someone to play against - since user-user interaction will have to wait until the JAVA (not javascript) version of the game comes out. A list of what cards are owned by each user will exist in the deck DB. It has a single record for each card type owned by a user. That record countains stats on that card as pertains to the user (# times played, # cards owned etc).
I'm torn between setting up individule systems for each card universe or putting it all in one big pot. Any thoughts? How big a user requirement is it to be able to integrate multiple systems (i.e. true TT with CAA TT with nnn TT)?

That kinda wraps up what I'm planning on for the first phase.
Mithrandir

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:57 am

Just to let you know, I have not forgotten about this! I've been pretty busy, but I've got half the photoshop project open, and I'm working out the kinks with the action scripting so I can do the whole batch thing in one long swipe, then add the individual numbers to each card.
Gypsy

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:01 am

Yeah. I just got another massive project dropped on me at work, so I know what you mean. I'll spare you the details. I'm still toying with the idea of simply ditching the whole JavaScript step and doing the whole thing in Java. Any java programmers out there who can help?
Mithrandir

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:22 pm

Yuck. Why would you want to do that (seriously)?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:13 am

I was figuring that it would be easier to allow people to play against each other. (The DB interface would still be perl, but the user interface would be a java applet).
Mithrandir

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:28 pm

hmmm... I can see this to be fun, but I can also see hurt feelings ("Why does my card not have any directions above 4") Also completely randomizing it may not balance it... I mean, what if they are all like 9 or something, that card could beat all the cards... But if you had a "maximum value" to keep it in check I suppose that would be good. Also, in the TT game in FF8, you get to keep cards you win. Are you going to set up cookies or maybe a database on the site to say what cards you have/don't have? I would love to see multiplayer stuff too, like I could play against you or something... that might be asking too much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:01 pm

The play against each other and keep cards is sorta what I had in mind.
Mithrandir

Postby MillyFan » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:41 am

Good going :thumb: This sounds like a really good idea! -^.^-

MillyFan

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:36 pm

OK. Hang on. Must get final aproval for the CAA revies DB 'B4 I work on a different project...

Come ON~!?!

:sweat:
Mithrandir

Postby Mr. Rogers » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:43 pm

that sounds like a really cool idea...i'd love that
Mr. Rogers

Postby MillyFan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:37 am

You need to find a way to store the card collections so if one of us accidentally deletes our cookies or something, we don't lose everything.

I say this because I've accidentally deleted all my cookies a few times (not a fun experience, having to remember each and every password you've ever used LOL)

So far though, this sounds like a great idea :thumb: and I can't wait to play. :)

MillyFan

Postby MasterDias » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:41 pm

It sounds neat. Been awhile since I played FF VIII.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Return to New Projects and Ideas