Damage Done At Cons

Talk about anything in here.

Damage Done At Cons

Postby ashfire » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:43 pm

I leaned after attending Katsucon at the Gaylord Hotel that some attendees had done some damage to the hotel. There were pictures posted of a hole punched in a wall with tape placed over it saying ONE PUNCH MAN WAS HERE. Light fixtures torn down. Public restroom stalls covered with graffiti about the con. A hotel room flooded and someone urinating in a hallway. The hotel is a five star hotel and rooms are not cheap.
I have been to different cons and seen or heard of damage or pranks are done which will cause some con groups to charge more attendance fees to pay for the damage. I don't know if a lot of it is due to drinking or just being unruly while away from home. It doesn't make anime cons look good even most conventions, not just anime, have their problem people.
ashfire

Re: Damage Done At Cons

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:33 pm

People are people. That damage sounds about right for a large amount of them. The best part of it all is that those people feel good/superior for doing those things, or at least that it really isn't a big deal. Long run though, like you said about higher con attendance fees, is that no petty crime goes unpunished: the law abiding citizen pays for each one in one way or another. I'm still waiting for a "civilized" answer to solve these sort of crimes.
Rusty Claymore

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:29 pm

You seem to talk and post about conventions a lot. You must go to them all the time. As for the person urinating in the hallway, I am curious how many and what substances he (or she?) was under the influence of at the time. As for the One Punch Man bit of vandalism, the rational side of me wants to see that person severely punished. A smaller, repressed side of me wants to think of that man as some kind of hero.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:05 pm

People can do pretty crazy things. Con or no con.
K. Ayato

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:29 pm

I wonder if the One Punch bit was deliberate; or if some other shenanigans left a hole in the wall and somebody came up with a use for it.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:12 am

MomentOfInertia wrote:I wonder if the One Punch bit was deliberate; or if some other shenanigans left a hole in the wall and somebody came up with a use for it.

Saitama's been framed. There is no way he'd do such a thing!

Cause if he had the building would've been destroyed.
Rusty Claymore

Postby ashfire » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:38 pm

One thing I heard about another con that had me wondering. Someone stole the toilet from a hotel room. One con I have worked for years on staff have had there pranks and damage. One show someone spread fake blood around the hotel and all over a public restroom. First time we start using a new convention center someone pulled the fire alarm because they were mad about waiting for a event to start and at the same time a group in a video room rushed the exit door pulling the door frame and door from the wall. I seen the looks on the con chairman and his people when they come to look at the mess caused by the attendees. Never Happy.
ashfire

Return to General