Where Is Everyone?

Talk about anything in here.

Re: Where Is Everyone?

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:44 am

Mave wrote:I agree with the shifting social media trends and how it is impacting discussion boards like CAA. Say whatever you have to say but I've made more long-lasting friendships via CAA than anywhere else online. I've remained in contact with some of you for almost 10 years now!

I've long entered the 30s range but looking back, I realize that some super awesome bits of my 20s was due to CAA (e.g. online comic drawing, theological debates, anime & manga reviews). There were times I took matters a little too seriously but it was also a great safe place to destress, debate and create.

So yea, I'm not back at CAA for the popularity or activity level but rather, dabble around some nostalgia. See ya around, ciao ciao!

Mave is always right. :thumb:
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Banana Lobster » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:10 pm

Hello lurkers! ^^/

1. Midori and Mouse2010, I heartily agree with your posts, not that I have anywhere near as much experience as you do, but kudos for for your excellently thought-provoking and concise posts! (I'm making fun of myself a bit here, I have trouble with essays/book reports/etc :lol:)

2. I've gotten so used to seeing the Christmas skin, I didn't even realize that it's been 6-7 months since it went up!

3. I noticed a while ago that the chat was really quiet, and a friend said it was probably because everyone was on Skype, but I don't have a Skype account, so...ah well!

4. My best wishes to Mith; if his job does not get any easier, than may he have the best of luck in finding a new job.

5. This post looks so much longer than it really is because I didn't know how to put all my thoughts into words without them seeming very random and jumping from topic to topic. Actually, why do I care if they are? Random is my friend! TACKLE GLOMPS FOR EVERYBODY!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Banana Lobster

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:59 am

Random is amazing BL. Always. :D

And yeah, I'm so used to the Christmas theme I don't see it anymore. Still, maybe that means we'll escape the pumpkins this year, and what comes with them... O.o
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby Hitomi » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:16 pm

Well, I'm here I guess Lol. I used to be pretty active here. I lurked a lot so Ya. Guess I'm back.
Hitomi

Postby DecooPunk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:25 pm

I lurk, that's pretty much all I do now, since I am not in any RPs and I am never on when people are in chat. It seems like more people actually use this site more in the fall, so I am usually more active then because there are threads and stuff about things I am interested in. I am going to try to be more active though.
DecooPunk

Postby Furen » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:40 am

Banana Lobster wrote:3. I noticed a while ago that the chat was really quiet, and a friend said it was probably because everyone was on Skype, but I don't have a Skype account, so...ah well!

Ya know... we could just change this by having people go into the chat...
(/me is just trying to justify myself, because I do skype with other CAAers)
But a few of them seem to lurk the forums, so they'd notice if someone's in the chat, and that would prompt people to jump in, so I blame you O.O

Just kidding Banana, though, every time I've made an attempt to come on, and not even at poor hours (5-8 PM EST - Even considering I'm a night shift worker) I still don't run into anyone in chat, so I don't jump in too quickly for that reason.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Sheenar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:38 pm

Every time I come on CAA, I check to see if someone's in chat and nobody is most times. :(
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Kkun » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:00 pm

Every now and again, I poke my head in without logging in.
Kkun

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Furen wrote:Ya know... we could just change this by having people go into the chat...

Gee I'd love to but I kinda can't go in the chat. :V

I still talk to some people from CAA on Skype though, Skype is pretty awesome. Though most of the people I talk to don't (or rarely) post on here.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Skype is honestly terrible, though. I've tried convincing people we should use something better, open source and not tied to Microsoft but nobody listens to me and my crazy talk.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby MomentOfInertia » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:02 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Skype is honestly terrible, though. I've tried convincing people we should use something better, open source and not tied to Microsoft but nobody listens to me and my crazy talk.

What? I missed this. What alternatives were you looking at?
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Sheenar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:30 pm

Mullet, I did bring up Oovoo when we were discussing that. That's the only other similar program I have personal experience with. Not sure if it's Linux-compatible, though. It's an okay program, but I feel pretty "meh" about it.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Anirac » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:10 am

It almost seems to be a trend for Christian things to slow down. My WoW guild was struggling to keep alive and as soon as the weather got warmer it died. I joined a Christian community on Crunchyroll which is kept alive by the admin posting something to discuss about every other day. But still, I just posted the first reply on a topic that had 41 views and had been open for a month. I guess Christians are just quiet online? Or they have busy lives?
Anirac

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:23 am

I'm not sure it's a "Christian" thing as it is just a trend towards other ways to socialize. I used to post heavily to Usenet and mailing lists (showing my age here), then it was web forums, and now it's probably Faceblech groups and other things. I used to play a lot of MUDs, and now people have moved onto MMO-type games, and soon it'll be something else.

But it's nice to see a core group here and regular activity, even if it's less than it used to be.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Cianter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:48 am

So much of this is so depressing >. <
Cianter

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:23 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Skype is honestly terrible, though. I've tried convincing people we should use something better, open source and not tied to Microsoft but nobody listens to me and my crazy talk.

Nah I'm with you man Skype is awful and it's such a memory hog it's ridiculous. Still it seems to be one of the standards of IM, I mean the only other reasonably popular thing I've seen is kik and I don't know anything about that.

Nate

Postby FourFourSeven » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:45 pm

Still here and kicking. Like many others, life simply gets in the way and causes us to spend less time here. For me, I'm studying (insanely) hard, getting ready for Fall classes and looking for a low-level I.T. job of some sort; there aren't a lot of people who feel comfortable with the idea of doing factory work forever.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Postby Mullet Death » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:39 pm

MomentOfInertia wrote:

Well, I don't know exactly to tell you the truth, because everyone just uses Skype, so I haven't bothered switching yet (It was just like back when I still had a Facebook account, but I kept using it because friends were). But even some clients I've used which were nothing more than irc clients (and so would not be quite sufficient for our needs) seemed to be more responsive than Skype is sometimes. All that that said, a quick search reveals a whole list of possible alternatives, including Ekiga, which I've heard of many times. Skype's not unique after all-- it's just a SIP client. I'll be looking into these other things soon. If I can tear myself away from games.

Mullet Death

Postby Mullet Death » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Nate wrote:

Nah I'm with you man Skype is awful and it's such a memory hog it's ridiculous. Still it seems to be one of the standards of IM, I mean the only other reasonably popular thing I've seen is kik and I don't know anything about that.

Come on man, you gotta be more of a maverick! Who needs to stay on Skype to chat with your friends when you can chat with strangers on a different client instead?

Mullet Death

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:59 pm

Mullet Death wrote:
MomentOfInertia wrote:

Well, I don't know exactly to tell you the truth, because everyone just uses Skype, so I haven't bothered switching yet (It was just like back when I still had a Facebook account, but I kept using it because friends were). But even some clients I've used which were nothing more than irc clients (and so would not be quite sufficient for our needs) seemed to be more responsive than Skype is sometimes. All that that said, a quick search reveals a whole list of possible alternatives, including Ekiga, which I've heard of many times. Skype's not unique after all-- it's just a SIP client. I'll be looking into these other things soon. If I can tear myself away from games.

I'd poked around some and was thinking of finding a nice jabber server we could hang around on. Though I don't see way IRC wouldn't work. The only thing we do beyond IMing is the occasional file transfer, and you could just upload to dropbox and post a link for that. ... unless you guys are doing a bunch of voice chatting when I'm not around.
MomentOfInertia

Postby IPv4 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:41 am

if _anyone_ wants my Skype name you may PM me.
IPv4

Postby Mave » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:06 pm

I'd say another reason for less of my online participation is due to my limited dataplan quota and connectivity. Many don't believe that I don't have wifi at home but life's still pretty swell without so much internet! XD

Oh my...Shooby and Nate! How nice to see you around =D I now have an legitimate excuse to do the banana dance.
Mave

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:10 pm

I use an IRC client for chatting with another group of people --I like it. And I can customize it so it's not as hard on my eyes/brain as Skype can be at times.

I do enjoy our occasional voice chats, though (Though I need my headphones to be able to hear anything --so just doing IRC wouldn't be a huge loss as I struggle to hear anyway).

Sheenar

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:26 pm

Which IRC client do you use?
MomentOfInertia

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:27 pm

I use X-Chat to access another forum's chat group (entered the channel info).

Sheenar

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:15 pm

Mave wrote:Oh my...Shooby and Nate! How nice to see you around =D I now have an legitimate excuse to do the banana dance.

Why not do the pineapple dance? They're way better than bananas.

Nate

Postby Mave » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:44 am

Nate wrote:
Mave wrote:Oh my...Shooby and Nate! How nice to see you around =D I now have a legitimate excuse to do the banana dance.

Why not do the pineapple dance? They're way better than bananas.

I can't judge the dancing prowess of one fruit over another but I'm open to different styles.

Considering how relatively inactive some threads have become, I am a little hesitant to pick up on them 'lest it be considered a grave-dig. Are there any thoughts on this? How old does the last post in a particular thread have to be in order to decide to jump in?
Mave

Postby Mullet Death » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:48 am

When everything is a gravedig, nothing is! Revive them all! Usher in a new age of zombie threads!

Mullet Death

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:29 pm

Last I asked the cut off was six months. ...assuming the post will be more than just "This."
MomentOfInertia

Postby Banana Lobster » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Nate wrote:Why not do the pineapple dance? They're way better than bananas.

Naaaaate, don't be mean... :(

I'm kidding. And am I the only one who is amused that the "Where Is Everyone" thread is the most active?
Banana Lobster

Previous Next

Return to General