Saturday morning cartoons are dead effective September 27, 2014

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Saturday morning cartoons are dead effective September 27, 2014

Postby randomuser2349 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:44 pm

On September 27, 2014, Vortexx, the Saturday morning cartoon block of CW, will end. It will be replaced with a live-action E/I block from Litton Entertainment called One Magnificent Morning. Being the final dedicated block for cartoons on Saturdays, the closure of Vortexx marks the end of traditional Saturday morning cartoons on broadcast television, which had previously been a staple of American TV for decades.

Personally, I find this news depressing. Here in Toronto, I can not find proper animated programming on free TV for kids 8-13 (I know in the USA there's some stuff on broadcast TV, but where I live all the ones we have on free TV is CBC and TVO - which only show educational stuff for little toddlers - and the CW signals we get from Buffalo, NY). And considering I am quite the anime fan (like practically everyone here), I'm a little sad as this block is the only one as far as I know that carries anime on broadcast television.

Yes, I posted this in the Anime section since most of Vortexx shows are anime.
randomuser2349

Re: Saturday morning cartoons are dead effective September 27, 2014

Postby Nate » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:17 pm

I always slept in on Saturdays and most kids these days are going to watch stuff on Netflix or Hulu or something so yeah I don't really care and probably 90% of kids don't care either. But it sucks for the people who do care I guess...still you should get Netflix or Hulu.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mullet Death » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:48 am

That is rather sad in a way... However, for better or worse, I think streaming is the way of the future. Even though my family offers the possibility of satellite TV in my room, I have not used it in years- I have largely either bought the BD/DVD or lived without. I have no desire to go back to the days of "surfing" rather than actually having something you genuinely want to watch with no or limited commercials.

Of course, the idea of streaming everything places heavy loads on the pipes; Internet capacity needs to increase by a lot. Companies everywhere pretty much assuming everyone has unlimited, unrestricted Internet access can also be bad for people living in rural areas with limited Internet options, but those people don't really matter, right?

Either way, let us weep for the Saturday morning cartoon... and then, if we have the option, go buy the DVD and watch it instead, because now we're adults with money and a little less sense. :sweat:

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Xeno » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:41 am

This is the dismantling of traditional america that people have been talking about for years. We can't let this stand!
Xeno

Postby DaughterOfZion » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:51 am

randomuser2349 wrote: And considering I am quite the anime fan (like practically everyone here), I'm a little sad as this block is the only one as far as I know that carries anime on broadcast television.

Unless you like vintage 4Kids or DBZ Kai, this isn't any kind of a loss really.
DaughterOfZion

Postby randomuser2349 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:14 am

Nate wrote:I always slept in on Saturdays and most kids these days are going to watch stuff on Netflix or Hulu or something so yeah I don't really care and probably 90% of kids don't care either. But it sucks for the people who do care I guess...still you should get Netflix or Hulu.

I'm Canadian. Netflix is somewhat limited and Hulu isn't available in my country. I can get Funimation and Crunchyroll, but the former runs very slow on my computer.
randomuser2349

Postby ashfire » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:45 am

I can remember when every network had cartoons and you had to decide what to watch. There was even the local channels that had morning cartoons even afternoon cartoons but they now have news or live shows for adults. The Spanish Channels have theirs, but I don't know Spanish. Even the old TV channels carry some of the old cartoons that were on network channels years ago. FOX, Family, CBS, ABC cut out their cartoons programing in the mornings. Fox has their Sunday evening cartoon series but some of that is changing when they add a show from their week night programs. Well Cartoon Network, Disney and Nick cable channels are still there.
ashfire

Postby shooraijin » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:09 am

Just part of the change in television habits. I barely watch TV of any kind anymore.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Thanks, Obama.

Just kidding. Still, this makes me feel bad, because I have such fond memories of Saturday morning cartoons. Especially Reboot and Bugs Bunny. They were the highlight of my week when I was a kid.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Return to General Entertainment