Merry Gentlemen - to complete

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

Merry Gentlemen - to complete

Postby Mave » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:34 am

Hi all, thanks to an old friend's kind suggestion, I'd like to share my efforts (not to start a project) but to complete one. I started it in 2009 and had hiccups along the way (e.g. new job, relocation, spiritual crisis etc etc).

What this means is the artwork will be inconsistent, the story flow will be jerky and some details will be off (yes yes I know, it's Uncle Chris, not Uncle Clive). However, my goal is to bring it to completion by hook or by crook!

This was originally a sidestory to KingdomCome. focusing on a character's childhood life story. It's about how one boy's life crosses path with three young working adults (my version of 3 & a Half Men, maybe). Btw, I always write slice-of-life and shoujo stuff so shonen fans, you've been warned. I'm not a professional artist; just doing this for fun. =D Hope some of you find this worth your reading time!

I'm currently closing Chapter 4 and hope to bring this to completion (Chapter 6) sometime this year.

http://theproject.us/merrygentlemen/index.html
Mave

Re: Merry Gentlemen - to complete

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Wow, I genuinely like this comic so far. I'm not very good at offering useful criticism, but some of the moments and gags feel a bit on the cheesy side. That being said, if anything, that cheesiness is kind of an endearing trait. The premise is interesting and the character interactions have a good dynamic. I read all four chapters in one go. Keep it up.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby shooraijin » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:30 pm

Yay, Mave! :D
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 am

I like this. I read all four chapters right away, and I couldn't stop.
Also, Gil....... :lol:
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby Mave » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:55 am

Yay, I've completed Chapter 4! Thanks for your comments - this series is intended to be on the more light-hearted side so I will definitely silly on the characters. =D

Onto Chapter 5 ....(f *_*)f
Mave

Postby Mave » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:26 am

Chapter 5 completed - moving on the final chapter! Last round ~~
Mave

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:19 am

Baaah, I can't believe I never read this before! This is great! My only criticism(?) is that on occasion it gets a bit hard to follow what's going on. Like perhaps there aren't quite enough panels per event, or something. But I love it! I only wish it was longer.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Mave » Mon May 04, 2015 7:38 am

>Baaah, I can't believe I never read this before! This is great! My only criticism(?) is that on occasion it gets a bit hard to follow what's going on. Like perhaps there aren't >quite enough panels per event, or something. But I love it! I only wish it was longer.

I wouldn't be surprised if you perceived random storytelling hiccups. I did blank out badly during the hiatus season and I have a lot of room to improve in storytelling techniques, never mind the artwork! (T_T) Nevertheless, thank you for your kind feedback! I'll keep plugging the updates and cross my fingers that the ending will be considered decent.
Mave

Postby Mave » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:59 am

I just wanna to add an update that this series is almost done. I'm plugging through the final pages of Chapter 6 so please feel welcomed to check it out. ^^
Mave

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Oooh, yaaaaaaay! Thanks Mave you're wonderful!
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Postby Mave » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:52 am

Hi all, this series is complete. That's all I have to say! Thanks and yay =)
Mave

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:11 pm

Started from chapter one (I had no idea about any of this >_<) and couldn't stop. If I hadn't just busted a mug and flooded my kitchen with milk, I'd check out the rest of the Project. (Took a break from cleaning to finish chapter 6 n_n)

I thoroughly enjoyed this. The story flowed well, and I didn't feel like there was unnecessary details or plot derailments (you know, those, "Wait, what about the story!" moments). If anything, I now want to know more about the other characters introduced, and am going to seek them out in the other works. The art was more consistent than I could ever dream of being in my drawing.

Job well done! n_n
Rusty Claymore

Postby alma » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:22 am

wow! I am so happy reading this post, Mave. It is great news.
I actually found about CAA when in 2011 I stumbled upon The Project site, http://theproject.us/ . I will be reading again your work. It is wonderful. I really really enjoy it a lot But I do have a question, is KingdomCome finished?
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."John 17:3 (NASB)
"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”John 13:35
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/alma01
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
alma

Postby Mave » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:24 am

Hihi i was offline for a while due to relocation - it's such a pain moving from one country to another. Blergh.

Rusty, thanks! It can be a super challenge not to i) derail a story and ii) lose the artwork consistency when one stretches the production over more than 3 years. I can't believe I took 5-6 years to complete this. (0.o);;;; Next time I write stories like this, I'm gonna get the storyboarding done quickly from the beginning to the end.

Alma, you bring me to my next unfinished business. KingdomCome is not completed and got stuck in some type of hiatus. My plans are to rewrite certain sections (backing up from Chapter 10) and to bring this to the end as well. Since this story still has a long way to go as per my original intention, I'd say I have at least 10+ more chapters to cover before even considering some type of closure.

The problem is my thoughts & ideas have changed over the years (thanks to a natural human process called aging) and my only concern is making sure the teenage characters don't act a little too old/matured with the exception of characters such as McCoy, Doug and Rebecca when she's not acting flippant. I don't know about you all but when I was a teenager, I was having a long rollercoaster ride which goes up-down-left-right-180 degree turn-repeat cycle, which I wanted to emulate within the younger circle including Kim, Gil, Paul, Abel, Linda......ok I have a lot of thinking & rewriting to do. Aihh..
Mave

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:37 am

Oooh, I didn't see this before! I'm so glad to hear this is finished! I will read it, now!

ClaecElric4God

Return to Webmanga/comics