Ask Someone Who Has Never Seen An Anime Before In Their Life Anything!!

Talk about anything in here.

Ask Someone Who Has Never Seen An Anime Before In Their Life Anything!!

Postby KNightNinja87 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Yep, what you heard is true, your ears were not playing tricks with you! I'm one of the very few beings on this earth who has never seen an Anime or read a Manga Comic in his life. Ask me anything your soul desires, no restrictions, no limits. And be brutal. :cool: So who's curious enough to take the first swing? Any takers?
~KN~
KNightNinja87

Re: Ask Someone Who Has Never Seen An Anime Before In Their Life Anything!!

Postby Crossfire » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:09 pm

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Crossfire

Postby KNightNinja87 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Actually, I was planning to let people know as soon as i joined but I got distracted by other things and soon forgot. I joined this forum because I wanted to connect with other christian artists and hopefully learn a little about the Anime/Manga community along the way. :D
~KN~
KNightNinja87

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Are you one of those people who has one of those "lives" I've heard so much about?

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Lynna » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm guessing your opinion on anime/manga is pretty neutral? What do you know about it?
Lynna

Postby Xeno » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:18 pm

If you aren't watching anime now, why would you want to start? You're already ahead.
Xeno

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:16 pm

I hecked up, disregard.
Last edited by Ante Bellum on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ante Bellum

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:45 pm

What is too long an episode/season count for a tv show? (Presume 30 minute episodes)

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby KNightNinja87 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:38 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Are you one of those people who has one of those "lives" I've heard so much about?

Hmmm...When you say "One of those Lives" what do you mean? I'll try to answer what I can the best I can. I'm sorry if I don't understand the meaning of your question. :cool:
~KN~
KNightNinja87

Postby KNightNinja87 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:44 pm

Lynna wrote:I'm guessing your opinion on anime/manga is pretty neutral? What do you know about it?

Yea, its pretty much neutral. To be honest, I know very little about it. If the life of civilization depended solely on my knowledge of Anime/Manga we'd all basically be dead by now.

Xeno wrote:If you aren't watching anime now, why would you want to start? You're already ahead.

I just want to learn a little about the community and their values are. Think of me as a little cat thats curious. Excuse my dumb question, but what do you mean by "I'm already ahead"?

mechana2015 wrote: What is too long an episode/season count for a tv show? (Presume 30 minute episodes)

Um.......25??

Ante Bellum wrote:I hecked up, disregard.

Um...Alright, No worries.
~KN~
KNightNinja87

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:49 am

KnightNinja, just so you know you can respond to all the quotes in a single post and we prefer you do so to keep the forum clean.

KNightNinja87 wrote:
mechana2015 wrote: What is too long an episode/season count for a tv show? (Presume 30 minute episodes)

Um.......25??

Interesting. What about overall episode count for a series?
(All seasons combined episode count. Ex: 1 season of 12 is 12, 2 seasons of 12 is 24.)

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby KNightNinja87 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:26 am

mechana2015 wrote:KnightNinja, just so you know you can respond to all the quotes in a single post and we prefer you do so to keep the forum clean.

KNightNinja87 wrote:

Um.......25??

(All seasons combined episode count. Ex: 1 season of 12 is 12, 2 seasons of 12 is 24.)

Maybe like...200 episodes or something? And thanks for the tip. kinda new at this. How do you reply to all quotes within a single post?
~KN~
KNightNinja87

Postby Xeno » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:25 am

KNightNinja87 wrote:
Xeno wrote:If you aren't watching anime now, why would you want to start? You're already ahead.

I just want to learn a little about the community and their values are. Think of me as a little cat thats curious. Excuse my dumb question, but what do you mean by "I'm already ahead"?

It was a joke about anime being horrible and people being better off not watching it.
A little sarcasm is all. =)
Xeno

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:20 am

KNightNinja87 wrote:
Ante Bellum wrote:I hecked up, disregard.

Um...Alright, No worries.

Was making jokes alongside Xeno.
Though really, he's got a point. Anime falls heavily, HEAVILY into Sturgeon's Law.
Ante Bellum

Postby Thunderscream872 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:45 am

So, have you chosen not to watch any anime up to this point? Or did you grow up with really strict parents? What's the reason behind your situation?

Also, do you plan to start watching anime/reading manga any time soon?
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:38 pm

KNightNinja87 wrote:
mechana2015 wrote:KnightNinja, just so you know you can respond to all the quotes in a single post and we prefer you do so to keep the forum clean.

Maybe like...200 episodes or something? And thanks for the tip. kinda new at this. How do you reply to all quotes within a single post?

Reply to one post using the quote button, then scroll to the bottom of the page once you're in the 'post a reply' screen. You'll see a scrollable section with the rest of the thread in it, and each post in that will have a quote button attached. Use those quote buttons to add to the post you're writing and respond from there.

Alright so about 8 24/25 episode seasons is where a show would get too long.
What genre of show would you least expect to see in anime form? (Please keep responses site appropriate)

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Tigerchu » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:14 pm

KNightNinja87 wrote:Actually, I was planning to let people know as soon as i joined but I got distracted by other things and soon forgot. I joined this forum because I wanted to connect with other christian artists and hopefully learn a little about the Anime/Manga community along the way. :D

Hi,
Catholic Artist here.
Tigerchu

Postby KNightNinja87 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:01 pm

Xeno wrote: It was a joke about anime being horrible and people being better off not watching it.
A little sarcasm is all. =)

Oh okay, I get it now. :D Wow, people really say that?
Ante Bellum wrote: Was making jokes alongside Xeno.
Though really, he's got a point. Anime falls heavily, HEAVILY into Sturgeon's Law.

Really? It doesn't seem that horrible to me, but then again what do I know about it? I guess it depends on the vision the artist has for the Anime or Manga I guess...It could be a bad or sensational one.
Thunderscream872 wrote:So, have you chosen not to watch any anime up to this point? Or did you grow up with really strict parents? What's the reason behind your situation?

Also, do you plan to start watching anime/reading manga any time soon?

Well, To answer your first question I think it was a combination of both. My mother was somewhat strict when I was a kid but In my opinion I think that she just was being cautious and wasn't sure what was safe for me to watch or get into. as I went through my teenage years she gave me more and more freedom until now, as an adult, she trusts me and supports me in making my own choices. I can basically watch whatever I want in the same room with her. By that time, Anime and Manga as well as other things were in the back of my mind. I didn't have a hatred for it, but I didn't consider it my bag of chips. As for you're second question, If I see something thats interesting or something with Spider-man in it, who knows? I might give it a shot. :D
mechana2015 wrote: Reply to one post using the quote button, then scroll to the bottom of the page once you're in the 'post a reply' screen. You'll see a scrollable section with the rest of the thread in it, and each post in that will have a quote button attached. Use those quote buttons to add to the post you're writing and respond from there.

What genre of show would you least expect to see in anime form? (Please keep responses site appropriate)

Thanks a bunch for teaching me, Hows the post looking? :D I would least expect maybe the Superhero or Crime Fiction genres to make an appearance in anime form.
Tigerchu wrote:Hi,
Catholic Artist here.

Hey Whats up? If you have any questions, feel free to ask them and I'll do my best to answer them.
~KN~
KNightNinja87

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:12 pm

KNightNinja87 wrote:Really? It doesn't seem that horrible to me, but then again what do I know about it? I guess it depends on the vision the artist has for the Anime or Manga I guess...It could be a bad or sensational one.

Not even that. It's just that you have to wade through a cesspool of awful before you find something good. It's not that you can't enjoy something that's bad, but most anime is nowhere near as good as the hype says (or as the creator intended).
Ante Bellum

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:58 pm

KNightNinja87 wrote: As for you're second question, If I see something thats interesting or something with Spider-man in it, who knows? I might give it a shot. :D

There are anime series based on the X-Men, Wolverine, Ironman, and Blade. Perhaps one of these would be a good starter for you :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Anime

Not exactly Spider-man, but close enough. I haven't seen any of these yet, but I plan to watch the X-Men and Wolverine ones soon.

Oh, and I think you said something about not being able to picture a Crime fiction anime? Right now I'm watching one called Psycho-Pass which is really good, and feels allot like a futuristic Criminal Minds and maybe a little like NCIS (except much darker than NCIS).

If you mean Crime fiction more like Breaking Bad or Dexter, then I'd recommend Death Note. Monster is also an option, but I wouldn't recommend watching it.

Now, if you're thinking more along the lines of 24, then I got nothing. I'd really like to see an anime like 24 though.

Concerning superheroes--there are TONS of anime focused on characters with supernatural/superhuman abilities. Most of them aren't handled the same way Superheroes are though. I can't explain it, but it just feels different.

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

Thunderscream872

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:44 am

Helloooo KNnightninja! Welcome. As for my question, is there anything about anime you'd like to know specifically (like genres, terms, what's considered classic, etc)? :)
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:00 pm

KNightNinja87 wrote:
mechana2015 wrote: Reply to one post using the quote button, then scroll to the bottom of the page once you're in the 'post a reply' screen. You'll see a scrollable section with the rest of the thread in it, and each post in that will have a quote button attached. Use those quote buttons to add to the post you're writing and respond from there.

Thanks a bunch for teaching me, Hows the post looking? :D I would least expect maybe the Superhero or Crime Fiction genres to make an appearance in anime form.

Post looks good. :thumbsup:

Sulerhero and crime fiction... Interesting choices.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby KNightNinja87 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Ante Bellum wrote: Not even that. It's just that you have to wade through a cesspool of awful before you find something good. It's not that you can't enjoy something that's bad, but most anime is nowhere near as good as the hype says (or as the creator intended).

Interesting point you have there. Which Anime would you recommend some of your friends to see?
Thunderscream872 wrote: There are anime series based on the X-Men, Wolverine, Ironman, and Blade. Perhaps one of these would be a good starter for you :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Anime

Not exactly Spider-man, but close enough. I haven't seen any of these yet, but I plan to watch the X-Men and Wolverine ones soon.

Oh, and I think you said something about not being able to picture a Crime fiction anime? Right now I'm watching one called Psycho-Pass which is really good, and feels allot like a futuristic Criminal Minds and maybe a little like NCIS (except much darker than NCIS).

If you mean Crime fiction more like Breaking Bad or Dexter, then I'd recommend Death Note. Monster is also an option, but I wouldn't recommend watching it.

Now, if you're thinking more along the lines of 24, then I got nothing. I'd really like to see an anime like 24 though.

Concerning superheroes--there are TONS of anime focused on characters with supernatural/superhuman abilities. Most of them aren't handled the same way Superheroes are though. I can't explain it, but it just feels different.

Whoooooo! Man, you gave me a ton of useful info. Thanks a bunch. Have you watched the Marvel Anime? Is it any good?

PLCDreamcatcher14 wrote:Helloooo KNnightninja! Welcome. As for my question, is there anything about anime you'd like to know specifically (like genres, terms, what's considered classic, etc)? :)

Whats the difference between classic Anime/Manga and modern Anime/Manga? I'd also like to know what type of genres there are.Also, How did you get involved with Anime and Manga and what Anime do you like?

mechana2015 wrote: Post looks good. :thumbsup:
Sulerhero and crime fiction... Interesting choices.

Superhero and crime fiction are genres of interest for me. If theres an Anime or Manga out there with one or both of those genres, that would be cool.
~KN~
KNightNinja87

Postby Xeno » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:28 am

My animu short list: G Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Akira (for the art more than it's story), Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Big O, Neon Genesis Evangelion or the Rebuild of Evangelion movies, Redline (entirely for the art and not the story), Cowboy Bebop [obligatory mention], Rurouni Kenshin, and Yakitate!! Japan (it's an anime that has actually made me laugh).

There are more that I'd recommend, but this is just a short list.
Xeno

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:30 am

KNightNinja87 wrote:Superhero and crime fiction are genres of interest for me. If theres an Anime or Manga out there with one or both of those genres, that would be cool.

Superhero- Tiger and Bunny
Crime Fiction- depends on what you mean, but if you mean mystery solving like a Sherlock or csi, there's loads of that, With nearly any setting you like. One of the longest anime in existence, Case Closed, is an anime/manga about solving episodic murder (usually) mysteries in a Sherlock Holmes sort of fashion. (The show has currently aired 743 episodes and has 17 theatrical films and one team up theatrical film!)

Other than that if you like more serious, psychological crime fare in the vein of The Fugative, Monster is a good piece though I highly suggest the manga... The anime drags something dreadful.

Are there any settings you prefer?
What is your take on supernatural contents?
SciFi?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:45 am

KNightNinja87 wrote:
PLCDreamcatcher14 wrote:Helloooo KNnightninja! Welcome. As for my question, is there anything about anime you'd like to know specifically #like genres, terms, what's considered classic, etc#? :)

Whats the difference between classic Anime/Manga and modern Anime/Manga? I'd also like to know what type of genres there are.Also, How did you get involved with Anime and Manga and what Anime do you like?

Ok. Well for one thing, the art style/animation is different between classic and modern anime.
Example:
Classic
Modern
Really Classic

Also there are some slight differences in plot structure and pacing just like in live action American movies/shows. I can't really pinpoint what those differences are but there's definitely a difference in feel. When I watch an older anime it makes me feel nostalgic and gives a little bit more of a relaxed feeling yet still containing complexity. If that makes sense. Hehe :sweat:

As far as genres there's a certain set of anime specific catagories like...

Shounen- Stories aimed primarily at teenage boys. Are generally action. Can be pretty long. Usually has a male protagonist though sometimes female. Nearly everyone has some sort of super power and they fight each other in epic duels or in some war.

Shoujo- Stories aimed primarily at teenage girls. Are generally romance but some contain supernatural, fantasy, or sci-fi elements. Can vary in length. Pretty much always has a female protagonist. Most of the characters are drawn to be pretty or real cute and the stories generally focus on strong emotional relationships (romantic, friendship, etc.#

Seinen- Stories aimed primarily at adult males. Can be action, romance, comedy, sci-fi, etc. Can vary in length. There's usually special emphasis on the female characters. These stories typically have more mature themes and sometimes content and generally focus on emotional relationships more than Shounen.

Josei- Stories aimed primarily at adults females. Can be action, romance, comedy, sci-fi, etc. Can vary in length. There's usually special emphasis on the male characters. These stories typically have more mature themes and sometimes content.

Hentai- Anime porn.

Ecchi- Highly fanservice-y though have a little more plot and are less explicit than Hentai.

Shounen-ai- Stories about the strong bond between two guys. Can be interpreted as friendship or homosexuality depending on the viewer/reader.

Shoujo-ai- Same as Shounen-ai only with two girls.

Yaoi- Gay romance aimed towards women.

Yuri- Lesbian romance aimed towards men.

Mecha- Stories with giant fighting robot suits operated from the inside. Usually involve some sort of war and lots of epic battles.

Kodomo- Highly moralistic anime/manga for children.

Well basically, anything you can find in live-action you can find in anime/manga (including Superheroes and Crime Dramas). That includes content too.

As far as how I got involved with it, I used to watch Pokémon as a kid and loved it but I don't think I ever really viewed it as anime though. It wasn't until about 2011 when the Last Airbender movie came out that I got really into Avatar: The Last Airbender (which is technically an anime inspired American cartoon). Afterwards, I was desperate to find something else to obsess over and I stumbled across Vampire Knight, started watching it, and now, three years later, I'm still watching anime. :n_n:

I'll watch just about anything but I really like anime that's either really sweet and nostalgic or really exciting and unique Wow that narrows in down.... My favorite genre of anything including anime is probably Fantasy.

I think I covered everything. I think. That was waaaaaaaaay longer than I had planned. Sorry. :brow: And I hope I didn't scare you away and hopefully I helped. :pikka:
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby randomuser2349 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:48 pm

Somehow I doubt that you have never seen an anime in your life before, unless you are from the 60's and before. So many animated cartoons that were broadcast are actually anime.

Did you ever watch any of the following cartoons:

Moomin
Adventures of the Little Koala
Saber Rider & The Star Sherrifs
Robotech
Fables of the Green Forest
Maya The Bee
Pokemon
Digimon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Dragon Ball Z
Ronin Warriors
Maple Town
randomuser2349

Postby Thunderscream872 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:27 pm

KNightNinja87 wrote:Whoooooo! Man, you gave me a ton of useful info. Thanks a bunch. Have you watched the Marvel Anime? Is it any good?

I seen episodes 2-4 of the Wolverine one back when it was on YouTube. It seemed pretty good, though Wolverine's voice was a little weird on him. I plan to watch all 12 episodes eventually.

Another question: What are some non-anime shows you enjoy?
Last edited by Thunderscream872 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunderscream872

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Just a heads up, CAA doesn't allow linking to illegal streaming sites.
Ante Bellum

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:34 pm

randomuser2349 wrote:Somehow I doubt that you have never seen an anime in your life before, unless you are from the 60's and before. So many animated cartoons that were broadcast are actually anime.

Did you ever watch any of the following cartoons:

Moomin
Robotech
Maya The Bee
Pokemon
Digimon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Dragon Ball Z
Ronin Warriors
Maple Town

For these, when did they air, because as of until this day I have heard of none of these.
Moomin
Maya The Bee
Maple Town

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Next

Return to General