two new ideas that have nothing to do with anime or gaming but ideas that could save someone's life

Projects or project ideas in the works

two new ideas that have nothing to do with anime or gaming but ideas that could save someone's life

Postby Never thirsty! » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:24 pm

idea #1 : an app that uses the vibrate feature to make your phone act as a joy buzzer when you are driving and try to pick it up after getting a text. My theory: the intense vibration simulates a joybuzzer which will make the user drop the phone and focus on the road I'm still trying to work out how it would know you're driving and not a passenger or just sitting down somewhere and hopefully I will eventually get it to be able to work if you are walking or biking or are in any way mobile.

idea # 2 ok first before I even tell you this idea don't say i'm being hypocritical by wanting to help someone with a problem I could(but won't.)get back into i just don't want to see some end up like i did and have no usage of a limb because they couldn't break this bad habit so if you haven't guessed yet what is does is it's an attachment that can be put on the hilt of a blade or attached to any possible artificial instrument of self-harm basically the attachment has a fingerprint scanner it is easily concealed on the hilt of a blade or lighter or whatever and the fingerprint scanner copies the second fingerprint to touch it because the second fingerprint is most likely going to be the person who needs it as the first could be someone attempting to help the person who is self-harming and if it is the person who is self-harming will probably have hidden it away after the first use with the device and possibly have come back for it later. so what it does is it will send an electrical current light enough to not cause any concerning damage to them them but heavy enough to make them drop the blade and the electrical current will only be like a jolt of static electricity it will just feel more amplified any fingerprint other than the second overrides the shock function for 2 seconds after the physical finger leaves and will override the function while that fingerprint is still making physical contact. I plan to either double major because I have the funds and time or get one degree then go back and get the other degree one in electronic engineering other in software development.
Never thirsty!

Re: two new ideas that have nothing to do with anime or gaming but ideas that could save someone's life

Postby goldenspines » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:57 pm

I get what you're saying, but idea #1 can be solved very simply. Just don't use your phone while driving. Self control, people; it's not that hard. In fact, it's illegal to text and sometimes even use the phone while driving in some places in the US!
There is even already a "mode" on some phones and tablets called "driving mode" where everything is hands free and voice activated as well.

I'm sure you mean well with your second idea, but the solution to self harm is not...er, more self harm (via an electric shock). I'm not an expert on such things (though we do have a few people on CAA who are much more knowledgeable about self harm and the help you can get for it), but I've heard the best way to prevent self harm is to seek help from a professional. So I think you're on the right track that someone who is self harming should not be alone in their fight, but finding professional help (aka: someone who is formally trained in helping people recover or prevent self harm) is by far one of the best solutions.
The hardest hurdle to overcome is actually going out there and getting that help, though, and that's the main issue, I think. If you can find a way to encourage others to go and find help instead of trying to recover alone, I think that would be a more worthy use of your time.
goldenspines

Re: two new ideas that have nothing to do with anime or gaming but ideas that could save someone's life

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Never thirsty! wrote:the fingerprint scanner copies the second fingerprint to touch it because the second fingerprint is most likely going to be the person who needs it as the first could be someone attempting to help the person who is self-harming and if it is the person who is self-harming will probably have hidden it away after the first use with the device and possibly have come back for it later.

What. That's a little precise...don't you think? Also, I feel like there are better ways to help people who self-harm than uber-cool fingerprint censors.

As for the other device, why would someone who texts while driving download an app on their phone that would stop them from texting while driving? Did someone steal their phone and place it on there? Did it just appear suddenly?
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:15 pm

So you want to outfit a knife or lighter with a fingerprint scanner and a discharger, plus special housing, batteries, and a control board? You do realize this would run pretty expensive, right? Fingerprint scanner parts, from what I found, run $12+ for used parts. In the end, even with mass production, it'll likely end up a good $20-30, if not more. Do you really think someone's going to buy something so expensive, not to mention too bulky to use comfortably? How is it even supposed to work? It sounds like more often than not the shock will be in error. And really, the scope of self harm reaches much farther than this device could ever go. Like Goldy said, the best thing to do for one who self harms is to get them help.

Idea one just sounds dangerous. Hey, let's jolt someone while they're controlling a two ton machine, that sounds like a great idea!
Ante Bellum

Postby Xeno » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:32 am

Idea one is stupid. I don't need someone else policing what I do inside my car while I'm driving. I especially don't need my phone constantly buzzing against my leg, or in my cup holder, or the storage bin on my dash the entire time I'm driving. Not to mention that will burn out the battery rather quickly.

Idea two is even more stupid. You're wanting to harm people who are trying to self harm? And I really don't get the fingerprint thing? Like they need another person to let them even use whatever it is? No one is going to buy this thing.
Xeno

Postby Never thirsty! » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Xeno wrote:Idea one is stupid. I don't need someone else policing what I do inside my car while I'm driving. I especially don't need my phone constantly buzzing against my leg, or in my cup holder, or the storage bin on my dash the entire time I'm driving. Not to mention that will burn out the battery rather quickly.

Idea two is even more stupid. You're wanting to harm people who are trying to self harm? And I really don't get the fingerprint thing? Like they need another person to let them even use whatever it is? No one is going to buy this thing.

the phone will only vibrate when fingerprints touch it and if you don't text and drive to you it would be pretty stupid wouldn't it?
and idea number 2 doesn't cause real damage i said it would be equivalent to that of a static electric shock as in what happens when you are in socks dragging your feet on carpet then touch a doorknob that will instinctively make you retract your hand. BTW you're right nobody would buy it due to the fact that it would be free because if people really want to stop self-harming I'm not going to try and make a few bucks from them because they're that willing to try and quit the thought of that absolutely disgusts me
Never thirsty!

Return to New Projects and Ideas