Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Re: recommend me a new manga?

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Azumanga Daioh, Yotsuba, and anything by Naoki Urasawa. Particularly 20th Century Boys, Monster, and Pluto. HIs works are for a more mature audience though, so bear that in mind.
Mr. SmartyPants

Re: recommend me a new manga?

Postby Meira » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:03 am

FllMtl Novelist wrote:For future reference, here's the thread for manga recommendations. A mod will probably be along soon to merge this thread with that one.

I'm only reading one manga that's just a couple volumes in: A Bride's Story, which is kind of a historical romance with just three volumes out so far.

I read more that are incomplete, though. If action is most important to you, there's Shingeki no Kyojin (translated as "Attack on Titan") and Tegami Bachi, both of which are licensed. There isn't really romance in either. Yotsuba&! is a slice-of-life and licensed.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun and Kuragehime ("Princess Jellyfish") are both romantic comedies, without action or fantasy elements. Chihayafuru is a sports/friendship/drama thing with a little bit of romance in it. It's lovely and you might like it if you enjoy stuff that balances characters' relationships with pursuing their objectives ("I wanna be the very best at [skill]!"). All three of these have unlicensed manga, but licensed anime.

One title I haven't read but heard good things about is Akagami no Shirayuki-Hime, which is a fantasy romance. It's unlicensed.

oh sorry about that, i see my post has already been put in the manga recommendation thread. thanks for the recommendations i looked them up, they do look pretty interesting, i think I'll like Akagami no Shirayuki-Hime especially since it is a fantasy romance so I'll start with that one. thanks for the recommendations.
"There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world, there is only the inevitable."
- Yuko Ichihara

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Meira

Re: Manga Recommendations Thread

Postby Vii » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Orange by Takano Ichigo is a shoujo manga that started fairly recently (There's only nine chapters out so far) that I really like. It's mostly drama, romance, and a little comedy, There's no action or fantasy to speak of, and the complexity of the plot really depends on what you want to compare it to. It's a bit more complex than your average shoujo, but it's not a mind-bending thriller either. It's currently unlicensed.

Pandora Hearts seems right up your alley, but I have yet to read it myself. It's currently publishing, but it has nineteen volumes out in Japan already (and around fifteen or sixteen in America), so that busts the five or six volumes released that you preferred.
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Definitely seconding Akagami no Shirayuki Hime, Pandora Hearts, and orange (all three of them are excellent! :jump: ); and just for good measure I'll throw in Amatsuki by Shinobu Takayama, as well. :) As was joked about in one of its volumes, Amatsuki is a 'Science Fiction Historical Supernatural Fantasy Romance Mystery,' which is funny not only because it's true, but because it *works*-- all of those elements are blended perfectly. Plus the plot is really intriguing, the characters are well-developed and endearing, and the art style is interestingly unique. This is ongoing and currently unlicensed.

Hope you enjoy all four! :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Meira » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:06 pm

MangaRocks! wrote:Definitely seconding Akagami no Shirayuki Hime, Pandora Hearts, and orange (all three of them are excellent! :jump: ); and just for good measure I'll throw in Amatsuki by Shinobu Takayama, as well. :) As was joked about in one of its volumes, Amatsuki is a 'Science Fiction Historical Supernatural Fantasy Romance Mystery,' which is funny not only because it's true, but because it *works*-- all of those elements are blended perfectly. Plus the plot is really intriguing, the characters are well-developed and endearing, and the art style is interestingly unique. This is ongoing and currently unlicensed.

Hope you enjoy all four! :)

wow great suggestions, also thanks Vii for your sugestions as well. although Pandora Hearts is further along it looks interesting i may start it sometime. also Amatsuki looks great and fits my preference of being new and ongoing, not only that but it looks very interesting i gotta check that out too. thanks guys these are some great suggestions!

oh yeah although i posted here looking for suggestions I'd like to share something i found recently. i kept seeing these ads for Dawn of Arcana and finally decided to check it out. its actually pretty good so far, and its ongoing too, its got the fantasy elements i love along with romance, not much action but thats ok, the intriguing story makes up for it definitely. so if anyone else is looking for recommendations for new manga like i am and if Fantasy Historical romance is your thing then Dawn of Arcana is worth checking out.
"There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world, there is only the inevitable."
- Yuko Ichihara

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Meira

Postby syphon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Hey I got into anime about two years ago. And I have yet to buy and read my first manga, it caught my interest recently. So any recommendations for a first timer? It doesn't matter what genre, although I've been thinking comedy. I heard good things about fruits basket might get that or ng life it sounded interesting. And I know I'm an adult but also I'd prefer no nudity also or atleast pretty mild.

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.-1 john 4:7
syphon

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Jeremyk90 wrote:Hey I got into anime about two years ago. And I have yet to buy and read my first manga, it caught my interest recently. So any recommendations for a first timer? It doesn't matter what genre, although I've been thinking comedy. I heard good things about fruits basket might get that or ng life it sounded interesting. And I know I'm an adult but also I'd prefer no nudity also or atleast pretty mild.

Yotsuba rules over ALL for funny manga. It's perfect. Very, very, incredibly clean and awesomely hilarious.

Fruits Basket starts as a romantic comedy, but after the first 7 volumes it's drama, drama, DRAMA. It's fabulous, a wonderful series, but if you're only in it for the romantic comedy thing then go for the anime (beware, anime is horrifically incomplete and ends on a total and utter cliffhanger). Some partial nudity in on one page, but it's one page out of 23 volumes.
NG Life is a solid mix of comedy and drama, mostly comedy. Very good series. No nudity. HOWEVER it was published by Tokyopop and they went out of business. So buying any of it will probably be super-expensive.
Atria35

Postby syphon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Alright Ill check out yotsuba if I decide I want just comedy. may get fruits basket over ng life though, sounds like it may be difficult to find anyway. ok thanks for the warning one page of partial shouldn't bother me. Thanks for the info and recommendation. If anyone else has a recommendation i would be happy to hear it.

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.-1 john 4:7
syphon

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 am

Jeremyk90 wrote:Alright Ill check out yotsuba if I decide I want just comedy. may get fruits basket over ng life though, sounds like it may be difficult to find anyway. ok thanks for the warning one page of partial shouldn't bother me. Thanks for the info and recommendation. If anyone else has a recommendation i would be happy to hear it.

Yes and no about Fruits Basket - it was ALSO published by Tokyopop, so you'll be paying a fortune for it as well - more than NG Life, probably, because NG only has 9 volumes vs FBs 23.

Other good comedy series: One Piece (well, also action/adventure, but it's a great series that I'm shocked I like as much as I do)
Bakuman - not totally a comedy, but a great manga about two friends who decide (and actually manage) to become famous mangaka
Skip Beat! - While it's a shoujo, it's hilarious. A girl is dumped by her fiancee (who was a jerkface), and she decides to get revenge by beating him and becoming a superstar, more famous than he is. Very incredibly involved and detailed about the relationships and the showbiz business. Definitely worth a shot. AND they started releasing it in omnibus so it's cheaper than some other series.
Atria35

Postby syphon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Ok I see well I'll just see what happens then whenever I can go buy one. I'm glad you said something about skip beat I forgot about it. I watched the anime some time ago so idk the rest of the story. I guess the manga is still ongoing though. At first I didn't think I would but I liked it and thought it Was reall funny even though it's a shoujo. Thanks for the other recommendations I'll keep them in mind.

syphon

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:55 pm

I've never been a big manga reader (because I never have the time) but I read my old Yotsuba book last night and it reminded me how much fun manga can be :) anyway I was wondering what mangas you guys think I should read, I like Scifi, drama slice of life, and psychological thrillers.
Makachop^^128

Postby Atria35 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:03 am

Makachop^^128 wrote:I've never been a big manga reader (because I never have the time) but I read my old Yotsuba book last night and it reminded me how much fun manga can be :) anyway I was wondering what mangas you guys think I should read, I like Scifi, drama slice of life, and psychological thrillers.

Twin Spica, for sure! A great series.
Ashita no Ousama is also fantastic.
Saturn Apartments
Annarasumanara is one of my newest favorites (recommending this above the others, actually, because it really is that fantastic)
Atria35

Postby Makachop^^128 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:35 pm

Twin Spica, for sure! A great series.
Ashita no Ousama is also fantastic.
Saturn Apartments
Annarasumanara is one of my newest favorites (recommending this above the others, actually, because it really is that fantastic)

Thanks for the recommendations :) I'll look them up!
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Uhm...I've been wondering about if the series Blue Exorcist is any good or not, and what the content is >.<
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:48 am

Hey everybody, so I was looking to see if any of you might have some manga that I might enjoy reading. Here's a list of everything I have on my MAL: http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/mysngoeshere56

I'll share my thoughts on what I have. Here's how my system works to me...

1-3: A total waste of time. Play a video game instead.
4 or 5: It's OK but I don't feel as if I'd have missed anything if I'd skipped it.
6 or 7: An average score. Could be better, but worth reading at least once.
8 or 9: An excellent score, and something I would recommend to others and/or enjoy reading again.
10: A complete masterpiece that should be read by all.

Also, a few "rules" I've made for myself that you guys will want to know if you recommend something to me...
1. I won't go for something unlicensed and/or out of print that's hard to find. If I liked a series, but couldn't finish because I cannot find and/or afford the last few volumes, it would sadden me. :(
2. I don't have the time, finances, energy, or (to be completely honest) desire to invest in a series that's been running strong for years and shows no sign of stopping (Bleach/Naruto/One Piece are the prime examples of this). If it's over 30 volumes and shows no sign of ending any time soon, I'm not going to bother with it.
3. While I am fairly laid back with content (obviously, as I'm into action and Gothic stuff), there are a few things that can be considered "over the top" for me. I'll explain on that as I write on what I have if need be.

Here are my thoughts on what I have on there...

*Currently Reading/Re-Reading*
1. Bakuman - Greatly enjoying it to the point I've read to. It's so nice to see some romance from a shonen perspective, as a lot of romance I've seen has been shojo.
2. Sailor Moon - I'm picky when it comes to shojo, but this is one magical girl series I've come to love. I really like its originality, and since most other magical girl anime/manga was branched off of it, it's usually hard for me to get into others unless they're different enough to not feel like a carbon-copy of Sailor Moon. Sailors Pluto and Saturn are my favorites, along with Tuxedo Mask.
3. Cardcaptor Sakura - This is an example of a different magical girl manga that I enjoy. I adore the entire cast, and it's all so memorable. A wonderful series.
4. D.N.Angel - My all-time favorite. I wish somebody else would re-license the manga, but I'm happy that Tokyopop published the volume that ended the most recent arc. I own every volume released by Tokyopop. I just wish Yukiru Sugisaki would devote time to finishing it and for it to get re-licensed here.
5. Mobile Suit Gundam SEED - I found the first volume laying around my house. I'm not sure my full opinion on it, but I found it decent enough. I'll read the second volume to see where it goes.
6. Ouran High School Host Club - One of my two favorite romantic shojos (at least to the point I've read - I watched the whole anime though). I always look forward to seeing how things progress.
7. Rurouni Kenshin - An excellent story, with some very memorable characters. I love Sano and Kenshin. Kaoru and Yahiko can be pretty annoying, but the story arcs are still strong and it really sets a standard for what should be in shonen manga.
8. Tsubasa Chronicle - Amazing! I love the concept and ideas. The storyline is fantastic and the characters are all so loveable. The only issue I think I have with it is... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The ending...

*FINISHED*
1. .hack//Legend of the Twilight - Very good. Not my favorite, but had a decent storyline with a fairly good plot. I liked the characters. The fanservice was a *little* bit much, but other than that, it's a fun read for every now and again.
2. Codename: Sailor V - My opinion for Sailor Moon is basically the same as my opinion for this.
3. Fruits Basket - Such an incredibly beautiful love story. I loved all of the characters, and even the villainous characters were awesome because they made such fantastic villains. All of the characters had a much deeper plot than originally expected. I wish the anime continued the story.
4. Goth - THIS is one example of something that went "over the top" for me. I really enjoyed the story and characters, and the artwork was superb, but the violence was too heavy for me. I'm perfectly fine with violence, but I think this was just a little too much for my own personal comfort level. If it were longer than 1 volume, I wouldn't have finished it.
5. Kingdom Hearts - Good for a fun read every now and again, but nothing that I'd put on my own personal favorites list. Maybe it's because I haven't given it enough of a chance, though...
6. Magic Knight Rayearth - Another magical girl series I've come to enjoy! All three characters were so easy to love, and they made a great team. The plot progressed really well too. I do plan to read MKR II when I get the chance.
7. Mermaid Melody - I'll be honest, I only finished this series because I really don't like *not* finishing series after I start them. The artwork was great and the story had potential, but I couldn't stand the shallow, one-dimensional nature of the "romance" (if it could even be called that?). The superb artwork and *potential* it had (that went unused) kept me from giving this a 1.
8. Shirahime-Syo: Snow Goddess Tales - A good one-volume effort from CLAMP. I generally enjoy their works. Some of the stories were fairly sad, but they were all well-told and drawn. Not much else to say.
9. Tokyo Mew Mew - It's a cute idea, but I just didn't care for it much. It felt like it was mostly a copy of Sailor Moon, but with younger characters and the focus on endangered species instead of planets. I really liked Zakuro and Ryo, but I was annoyed when... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ichigo wound up with the perfect guy instead. -_-
10. The One I Love - My opinion for Snow Goddess Tales is basically the same (nix the part about sadness, though, because this volume is a sweet romance).
11. Wolf's Rain - Decent, but not as memorable as the anime. I think that was a better way to tell the story. And it's too short, too.

I'm enjoying everything that's on-hold. The reason why they're on-hold is because of lack of time to read them, and/or lack of volumes at the library and finances to buy them.

*DROPPED*
1. 20th Century Boys - I'll be honest... I picked this up because I've heard the glowing reviews. But I couldn't get into it. I honestly couldn't wait to finish the first volume; the story felt non-existant and the kid with the snot hanging from his nose just grossed me out. I've debated giving it another chance by reading the second volume, but I just disliked the first one so much that I haven't felt an interest in it... but still, there's always that seed in me that wonders if I should. Should I?
2. Angelic Layer - I really like the concept, but I just couldn't get into the manga quite as much for some reason. I thought the anime was very cute, though (I honestly prefer it). Maybe I should give it another chance now that it's been re-released. I do enjoy CLAMP a lot, and Dark Horse generally does a good job.
3. Bleach - Started to read it, and watched some of the anime, but I dropped it for the reason mentioned before. I just don't have time, unless it's ended now? Then maybe I can try to finish it...
4. High School Debut - I honestly am thinking of this more as something that's "On Hold" than dropped, because I thought it was decent enough. I just didn't get into it very much, and felt that other series I was reading at the time held my interest more. Also, I asked a friend of mine, and so... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: As I expected, the plot moves in the most predictable way possible with them falling in love after all, so I felt there was no need to go for it right away. I think I probably will once I finish some series that I'm more interested in, though.
5. Mamotte! Lollipop - It's cute, but it's nothing exceptional to me. I watched the full anime and felt the same way. I didn't feel the need to re-experience that with the manga.
6. Peach Girl - Same thing as High School Debut. Interesting idea, and I might to back to it later, but I just didn't feel as interested in it as other shojo like Ouran and Fruits Basket.
7. Revolutionary Girl Utena - This is a DND title, so I won't speak of the content itself. All I *will* say is that series like this are the reason why I don't start series if they're out of print and hard to find, because it's now impossible to find the last volume at a local library and the cheapest prices on Amazon are always over $20.
8. Tokyo Mew Mew a la Mode - It takes a lot for me to dislike a series so much that I refuse to finish it, but this was one of the few that did it for me. Mew Berry was a fairly annoying character IMHO, and even though Ichigo wasn't my favorite, I don't like that she was shunned as much as she was and replaced by Berry. I didn't bother with the second volume, even though it was also the last, because I disliked the first one so much.

Also, to clarify... Just because something's on my "to read" list, doesn't mean I really plan on reading it anymore. Most of those are titles I came across years ago and put them on back then. My interests have changed quite a bit, and the amount of time I have to read manga and watch anime has too. So if you want to recommend something but don't feel the need to because it's there, feel free to recommend it anyway. I plan on scrapping titles on the list that no longer interest me once I have time. I don't even remember everything I have on there, to be totally honest...

Also, if it helps, I'll include my anime list too. If you read it, it'll give you and even broader idea of what I enjoy. And just so you all know, what I said about the "to read" list on my manga list can also be said about the "to watch" list on my anime list. It's right here: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/mysngoeshere56

So, does anybody have any recommendations? :)
Last edited by mysngoeshere56 on Mon May 20, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mysngoeshere56

Postby Vii » Mon May 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Dengeki Daisy - Ongoing (12 volumes out in the US so far) shoujo manga. I like it because the romance isn't technically the center of the plot, but it factors in heavily to a more mystery/drama type of story. The art is a really crisp and beautiful as well.

Kimi ni Todoke - Ongoing (16 volumes out in the US so far) shoujo manga. The most pure, innocent, adorable romance manga you will ever read.

Cross Game - Finished (17 volumes) shounen sports drama, with a touch of romance. It's a slow series, but extremely good at building drama realistically.
Vii

Postby SierraLea » Mon May 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Panda4christ:3 wrote:Uhm...I've been wondering about if the series Blue Exorcist is any good or not, and what the content is >.<

My opinion? Try it! I can't tell much without some major spoilers, but I will say that there's incredible character growth, some big surprises, and a romance element. This story does involve demons and exorcism, along the lines of D. Gray Man. There's also a training school, kind of like Soul Eater. The art is excellent and realistic, but one of the characters is a highly immodest dresser.
SierraLea

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:35 am

SierraLea wrote:
Panda4christ:3 wrote:Uhm...I've been wondering about if the series Blue Exorcist is any good or not, and what the content is >.<

My opinion? Try it! I can't tell much without some major spoilers, but I will say that there's incredible character growth, some big surprises, and a romance element. This story does involve demons and exorcism, along the lines of D. Gray Man. There's also a training school, kind of like Soul Eater. The art is excellent and realistic, but one of the characters is a highly immodest dresser.

Hm...i might give it a try then ^^ Thanks Sierra :3
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Vii wrote:Dengeki Daisy - Ongoing (12 volumes out in the US so far) shoujo manga. I like it because the romance isn't technically the center of the plot, but it factors in heavily to a more mystery/drama type of story. The art is a really crisp and beautiful as well.

Kimi ni Todoke - Ongoing (16 volumes out in the US so far) shoujo manga. The most pure, innocent, adorable romance manga you will ever read.

Cross Game - Finished (17 volumes) shounen sports drama, with a touch of romance. It's a slow series, but extremely good at building drama realistically.

I've actually heard of Dengeki Daisy and wanted to read it (didn't know a lot about it, but I heard of it), but forgot all about it until you mentioned it. I've heard of Cross Game too but didn't know what it was. I'll see if my library has it. I'm not sure if I've heard of the other one but I'll definitely look into it. :) Thank you so much! And if anybody else has recommendations too, I'm still open to them.
mysngoeshere56

Postby Kaori » Wed May 22, 2013 9:23 am

mysngoeshere56 wrote:Hey everybody, so I was looking to see if any of you might have some manga that I might enjoy reading.

Based on your list you seem to read a lot of shojo and stuff with some sort of supernatural element, so here are a couple of titles that fit that category:

Natsume's Book of Friends: Natsume is a boy who can see youkai, and he inherits his grandmother's Book of Friends, which is a collection of youkai that his grandmother, who had very strong spiritual power, bullied into agreeing to come when she summoned them. Natsume's goal is to find them one-by-one and release them from that obligation. The two volumes that I've read so far had lots of weird monsters, short-but-sweet story arcs, and a shojo focus on relationships (not necessarily romantic).

Fushigi Yuugi: classic shojo about a girl who is transported into a book about ancient China and thrust into the role of trying to summon the god Suzaku in order to have three wishes granted. Her best friend is also sucked into the book's world and ends up being a rival and enemy who is trying to summon a different god. In terms of content, it has some attempted rape scenes, more or less for legitimate plot-related reasons, but nothing explicit IIRC.

These series are both licensed by Viz, so I think they are still in print . . . I'm not too up-to-date on what is and is not licensed and in-print in the States.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:31 pm

Kaori wrote:These series are both licensed by Viz, so I think they are still in print . . . I'm not too up-to-date on what is and is not licensed and in-print in the States.

Looked them up on Amazon, and they both seem to be in print. I don't think I've heard of Natsume, but it sounds interesting; I'll have to check it out. I have heard of Fushigi Yuugi but I did hear of those kinds of scenes, and I wasn't sure how violent and/or fanservice-y they were, and also how prevalent it was, so that's why I didn't check it out yet. Figured I'd wait until somebody could tell me. So it's only on occasion, and nothing super violent/fanservice-y? If so, then I'd likely be ok with it. I'll have to look into series.

Thanks again! :) And still open to more if anybody has them.
mysngoeshere56

Postby Kaori » Thu May 23, 2013 2:59 am

Hmm . . . *checks the CAA review.* According to Atria there is some nudity but not in large amounts. I also don't remember those attempted rape scenes being particularly fanservice-y or extremely frequent. You can take my opinion with a grain of salt, though, because it's been a few years since I read this and my memory of it is not all that specific.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Exlon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Ouran High School Host Club is probably my favorite manga series next to Dengeki Daisy, and Kimi ni Todoke's really good too.

Oh, and about Kingdom Hearts (which is being reprinted by Yen Press, btw, and I'm getting it), I haven't read much of the manga, but if it's the real story you want...please just play the game. xD It's my favorite video game series, and the manga doesn't come anywhere close. I'm just collecting it as paraphernalia. I'd look into something else if it's manga you want to read.

Could anyone elaborate a little more on Skip Beat!'s content rating? I'm interested in starting it, but I'm curious how it'll go.

Any comments on Vampire Knight?

I'd love to start reading Fruits Basket (have the anime, and I wanna know MORE!), except that Tokyopop died. ;_; I hope someone like ViZ reprints it someday.
Exlon

Postby skreyola » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm only through the first three volumes of Skip-Beat, but so far, the only objectionable things I've noticed have been the little background jokes about spirits and voodoo dolls.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby scribbledreamer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:23 pm

I've just started getting into manga. I'm almost finished with Dengeki Daisy and have really enjoyed it. I'd love some more suggestions, since I'm still fairly clueless about what's good. I'll read pretty much anything, though I do like romantic subplots. I'd also appreciate warnings on theological content and nudity. Thanks!
scribbledreamer

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:34 am

scribbledreamer wrote:I've just started getting into manga. I'm almost finished with Dengeki Daisy and have really enjoyed it. I'd love some more suggestions, since I'm still fairly clueless about what's good. I'll read pretty much anything, though I do like romantic subplots. I'd also appreciate warnings on theological content and nudity. Thanks!

Oh dear... with a request as open as that, I'm really having to restrain myself from dumping a massive list on you, LOL! Instead, how about I try to give you a small but very good selection (with a bit of variety in terms of different genres and such, too, though also a good focus on romance, since you mentioned that), and then if you'd like you can request some more afterwards? :)

Fullmetal Alchemist - This is an epic series with tons of action, a little bit of romance, and excellent characters and plot. As for content: There is a little bit of nudity, but it is undetailed; and religion-wise, there is a false cult shown at one point (though it does get broken up), several characters are agnostic and aren't afraid to say so (at least at first), there is a being that basically calls itself 'God' (though it's more like a spiritual warden), and another creature that wants to become said 'God.' Oh, and the bad guys SPOILER: Highlight text to read: do some fairly awful things to obtain (and use) human souls. (Trust me, though, it's better than all that sounds. :) ) Also, not sure how you are with violence, so I'll just note that (as mentioned) there's quite a bit of action in this... so, expect blood. :)

Fruits Basket - Always and forever my favorite shoujo. The main character is absolutely amazing-- she just pours light and hope and life into everyone around her, no matter what. So, when she comes into contact with this big extended family of generationally-cursed (and thus, at this point, pretty seriously screwed-up :P ) people, the effect is truly awesome. There's a lot of great comedy (more so in the beginning), some also-great and actually rather intense drama (more so towards the end), and the finale is so emotional and so perfectly beautiful that it left me both speechless and in tears (in a VERY good way!). As for content: There is a little bit of nudity in this, however it is justified (I mean, when the characters transform, they're animals, and animals obviously don't wear clothes, so... :P ), but it's all either conveniently covered or undetailed; and as for religious content, well, the characters *are* 'possessed' by the original spirits of the zodiac animals ( + the zodiac's 'god', though in the Japanese-myth sense of the word-- i.e., not meant to be THE God :) ), but that's quite clearly shown to not be a good thing for them, and they are released from it in the end.

Pandora Hearts - Gorgeous art, *awesome* characters (with equally-awesome development), a little bit of (rather nicely understated) romance, and plot twists that will blow your mind. As for content: There's no nudity that I recall (and if there was, it was undetailed); and there's also no religious stuff per se, although there is a brief mention of a (very obviously bad) cult at one point, there is a reveal that one character is into the occult (though it's done as a quick surprise gag-- a pretty darn hilarious one, in fact :grin: -- and then never mentioned again), and there is a bit of 'multiple-souls-inhabiting-one-body'-type stuff (though that, at least, is all quite within the realm of fantasy). Also, this series does get pretty darn bloody at times. But oh my goodness is it worth it!

Orange (by Ichigo Takano) - Girl receives a letter from a version of herself 10 years in the future, urging her to not make the same mistakes/regrets... and to save a dear classmate from death. No nudity or religious content whatsoever-- just really awesome, really moving stuff.

And the Nineteen, Twenty-One manhwa - Taking care of cats + sweet romance, all done in beautiful full-color. No nudity or religious content.

There's plenty more I'd recommend to you as well (and please feel free to ask me for them!), but I don't want to overwhelm you, so I think that's a good start for now. :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby scribbledreamer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:45 pm

^Great! Thank you so much!

And sure, if it's not too much trouble for you, I'm always open to more recommendations! I love to read, so I'm always looking. :D
scribbledreamer

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Seconding Pandora Hearts! You won't regret reading that. I think MangaRocks! covered pretty much everything there, so I don't have anything to add, except it should be at the top of your list!
Wait, I take that back. My top recommendation would be Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. It's very, very good. And as far as content, I honestly can't think of anything to warn you about. Except I guess at one point they're fighting "demons", but there's nothing theological about it; they're just monsters. No nudity and as far as violence, well, nothing over the top. I would definitely recommend you read it NOW. Money back guarantee if you don't like it. Er, something like that.
And if you enjoyed Dengeki Daisy (or if you didn't; it doesn't really matter :p) I would also recommend Beast Master, by the same mangaka. It's really short (only two volumes) but absolutely fantastic. I don't remember any nudity, though the main character isn't exactly bright or cultured, so sometimes he mentions things that probably shouldn't be talked about. But it's not because he's a pervert, he's just too ignorant to know better.

But yeah, Pandora Hearts and Tsubasa for sure.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby ForeverInspired » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:43 pm

Pandora Hearts is awesome! I just caught up to the latest published volume (vol. 20), and it's amazing how the story is unfolding and how twisted all the characters and reveals are.

Also, I have been really liking Bakuman so far. It does have more of a centered romance plot than Pandora Hearts' subtle version. It's also really interesting since it's about people trying to fulfill their dreams and the complicated process of getting into the manga industry.
ForeverInspired

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:04 am

Thirding Pandora Hearts (even though I haven't quite caught up with it yet) and seconding Tsubasa (even though I'm still reading this too). Also seconding Fullmetal Alchemist simply based on the FMA: Brotherhood anime. I also recommend Love.Com and Ouran High School Host Club. They're both romantic comedies with no nudity and the only theological content are just brief visits to Shinto shrines. As far as any other content, there's some mild language, no violence (unless slapstick counts), and some suggestive material.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews