The Cube

This is where all in character roleplaying occurs. Please note that posts in this forum do not count toward your post count, and that old threads are subject to periodic prunination!

The Cube

Postby rocklobster » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:10 am

This is inspired by a sci-fi movie that aired on the Sci-fi channel in its early days. It's not necessary to actually know anything about the movie.
This story centers around several characters, each of whom are trapped in a maze of rooms. Each room has 4 openings: one in the ceiling, one in the floor, one on the left wall, and one on the right wall. You must move through the maze to win. There's a catch: randomly placed through the maze are rooms that are actually traps. Each trap is activated differently and behaves differently, but they all result in the same thing: death.
You are a prisoner in this maze.
Character sheet:
Name: Jo
Eyes: Green
Sex: female
Skin Color: brown
Hair Color: red, with curls
Personality: Jo has awakened with no memory of how she arrived, just like everyone else. She does not understand what is going on, all she knows is she wants out. And she will do anything to escape the cube.
rocklobster

Re: The Cube

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:52 pm

So you could actually die in here?
Wolfsong

Postby sarahleinaar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:16 pm

Sounds interesting! I have some questions though. Do the people run into each other? And like wolf song, do characters actually die? Hope these characters are all right! Let me know if you need me to change anything! :D

Name: Roselle (Rose)
Eyes: Brown
Sex: Female
Skin Color: Tan
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Personality: Rose was a master spy before she entered the maze. She has no idea how she got into this weird place but if there's one thing she's good at... it's completing her mission and right now her mission is to get out of this maze.

Name: William
Sex: Male
Eye color: Blue
Skin color: White
Hair color: Blonde
Personality: He was in the military before he somehow got to this strange place. he was a commander so it's in his instincts to fight back and to over think things. Now, all he wants to do is get back home.

Name: Mary
Skin Color: Tan
Eye color: Sea Blue
Hair color: Blonde
Personality: Mary was the popular and spoiled girl at her school. Head Cheerleader (so she's very flexible and athletic) and having super rich parents, she always got what she wanted. Now, she's scared to death and wants desperately to find a way out.
Last edited by sarahleinaar on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Love The Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul,
with all your mind, and with all your strength
sarahleinaar

Postby rocklobster » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:31 am

Yes, you can die. However there are two things you should know:
1. It is possible to escape a trap. (the movie had it happen twice) You could possibly even enter the room with the trap and leave without even setting it! (for example, the trap could be simply stepping on the wrong square on the tile floor. Simply avoid the square and you survive) Also, if a trap is set and you escape, that room becomes safe to return to...for only one hour.
2. You get to decide if the character dies. No death will ever happen without your approval.
Anyway, sarahleinaar, all characters accepted. I will be sending out requests later today to some friends. I eagerly await your character, wolfsong.
BTW, it's permissible to give your character a specific talent that may help in the maze. For instance, perhaps your character is a master escapist.
Oh, and I have a secret character that I will introduce once the story starts. I won't tell you who the character is, but you'll know why this character is so important when he/she debuts.
rocklobster

Postby sarahleinaar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:39 am

It's... THE DOCTOR. (haha, Just Kidding) Anyways, I can't wait to start) Would it be all right if I made Rose a spy? (Like that was her job before she entered the maze) :D
sarahleinaar

Postby rocklobster » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:11 pm

Yes, that would come in handy.
and no, as much as I like Doctor Who, I don't think I'd make him a character in this. Besides, he did say he's the one person you don't put in a trap.
rocklobster

Postby Wolfsong » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:20 pm

lol okay, I'll be posting my characters sheets...hopefully later today.
I have one more question though. How much will our characters be interacting together?
Wolfsong

Postby rocklobster » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:08 pm

that depends. You don't all start in the same room, so you'll have to meet up by chance. Everyone gets put in a random room. And your starting room is always safe.
rocklobster

Postby Wolfsong » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Name: Maka Ralya
Eyes: Jade green with flecks of grey
Skin Color: light tan
Hair Color: like dirt and sand mixed together
Personality: While not exactly self-absorbed, she does have a very high opinion of herself. Quite proud, sarcastic. She refuses to be a team player of any sort, confident she can do everything by herself. Quick tempered and takes offense easily. Is utterly clueless how lonely and miserable her existance is.
Talent: An acrobat, highly flexable, strong supple legs but is weak in the upper torso and arms. otherwise, she's excellent.

Name: Eric Sullivan.
Eyes: Dark blue
Sex: Male
Skin Color: Light tan
Hair Color: Brown
Personality: Quiet, and often doesn't talk at all, giving the impression of being mute. He's quick mentally, but slow physically.
Wolfsong

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:13 am

you describe your characters very well, Wolfsong! Accepted!
now we wait for one more person.
rocklobster

Postby sarahleinaar » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:06 am

Yay! :D
sarahleinaar

Postby Diamond Dragon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:30 am

This sounds interesting! I think I'll join! Btw, if I don't reply for a few days, shoot me a PM prod. XD;;

Name: Noire Strike
Eyes: pale creamy brown.
Skin color: slightly lighter than toffee.
hair color: the color of cream graduating to chocolate at the ends. Her overall appearance gives you the impression of some fancy dessert.
Personality: Cool and calm, even in her present situation, Noire has an insatiable curiosity that borders on being childish. She's very observant, and has a dry sense of humor.
Talent: She often observes things others don't. Plus, she woke up with a blank sketch book and pencil in her hands (and even a white eraser and pencil sharpener in her pocket to boot!). She only remembers that she's good at drawing. Besides, having pen and paper will be useful...
Last edited by Diamond Dragon on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond Dragon

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:40 am

rocklobster wrote:you describe your characters very well, Wolfsong! Accepted!
now we wait for one more person.

Thanks Rocky! :D
Wolfsong

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:52 pm

My first sign up since my hiatus....of course I have to do a Rockie rp!

Character sheet:
Name: Katarina Crowe (Kitty)
Eyes: hazel
Sex: female
Skin Color: redish tan
Hair Color: jet black and super short and choppy
Personality: An art historian in training, Kitty is a child prodigy with an extensive knowledge, aided with various degrees she has obtained. She is strong, assertive, yet rather shy due to alienation from her intelligence. She has no idea how she landed in this situation, yet when she awoke, she found a parcel containing a piece of chalk and a old tattered book written in some unknown code.

Name: Alex Charlesten
Eyes: deep blue
Sex: male
Skin Color: fair with light freckles around the nose
Hair Color: dirty blonde and shaggy
Personality: Alex is a young man with a blackened past. He doesn't say much, and is known for violent temper flare ups. He met his best friend, Kitty, at his university, where he is studying chemistry. He also has been working at a dojo for the past ten years under his Japanese foster father, Hiroshige Tenma, and is skilled in a specialty martial arts still Kushi-no-Maaka. He was walking home with Kitty when...when he awoke, he was in a dark room with a staff lying beside him.
Phantom_Sorano

Postby rocklobster » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:27 pm

All righty! I guess we can start! Welcome aboard, Soran!
--Jo--
Jo awoke with a start. She felt as though she'd had a bad hangover. She looked around and realized this wasn't home, or Kansas for that matter. (Wizard of Oz ref for the win!)
She sighed. Then she noticed four doors, one to her left, one to her right, one above and one below. She thought "Well they must be the way out. But something tells me I should be careful."
She pressed a button next to the door to her left. When she opened, she heard a blood-curling scream. "Well, I guess that one's off the list."
Then she heard a slight rumble. "Wonder what that was."
She went to the door on the floor and opened it. Not hearing anything, she assumed this must be a safe room. She lowered herself into the hole. That's when she saw someone else.
"Well hello there, beautiful." said the man. "Name's Peter." He turned around and looked in his bag. "I got some food if you need it."
"What about you? Don't you need some?" Jo asked.
"No. I got a hundred of these things, plus 100 bottles of water too. Way more than I think I'd actually need. Wonder why they gave me so much?" said Peter. Whoops, I gave myself away.
"Who's they?"
"Um, forget it." Peter said, hoping she would.
"O-kay." Jo said, realizing beggars can't be choosers.
Peter took out two MRE's. He opened one. "Sweet and Sour Pork. What'd you get?"
Jo opened hers. "Looks like beef and veggies."
"Well, eat up. Listen, I think you and I better stick together. I'll try to get us out of here as best I can."
"I suppose I can trust you." Jo shrugged, opening up her bottled water.
After they both finished eating, Peter put the rest of the MRE's and bottles back into their bags. Then he walked over to the door on his right. He peered into the doorway and noticed the numbers on the doorway. If what they told me is true, that's not a good one.
He walked over to the one on his left and read the numbers again. "Okay," he said to Jo. "This one looks good."
Jo walked over. "How do you know?"
"Um, I'd rather not say." Peter said. "You're just going to have to trust me. I'll tell you when I'm sure you can."
"I can't help it." Jo said.
"I know. But we're running out of time. You coming or not?"
Jo nodded.
Together, they entered the next room
OOC: Okay everyone, as you saw, Jo heard rumbling when she awoke. You're all waking up at the same time, so you should have heard the rumbling as well. It's an important clue!
rocklobster

Postby Diamond Dragon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Ooc: Yay, we're starting!! And the honorable Sora is with us too! :D BTW, bonus points to what character Noire's outfit is based off of!
Bic

~Noire~
Creamy colored lashes lifted from Noire's cheeks as she opened her eyes. All she ould see was a high cieling. Slowly she sat up. Where was she? And what was she doing here? And why couldn't she remember anything aside from her own name. Carefully sitting up, she inspected herself; for some reason she was barefoot, and had skinny khakis. Over a white tshirt, she had a blue hooded sweatshirt with silver swirls along the edges of the hood and on the front. Clenched tightly in her hands was a mechanical pencil and a large sketchpad. Then gropping around in her pockets, she came up with a white reaser and a small tin of lead sticks for the pencil. Well, that would be useful. She Noire heard a low rumble. She quickly stood, mind afire with curiousity. Looking around at the door with numbers on them, she chose the door on the opposite wall from herself. Pressing a button beside it, the door opened. Noire slipped into the next room, not knowing what she'd find in there...
Diamond Dragon

Postby sarahleinaar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:30 pm

OOC: YAY!!! LETTUCE BEGINN! :D

-- Rose and Will --
Rose groaned and groggily sat up. What the? What's going on? Where am I, she thought looking around. All she saw were three doors to exit from. She looked around the empty white room. Which door, she thought. She stood up and put her hand on the side of the wall to steady herself. She walked over to one of the doors and peered through it. Another empty room.
Um, no thanks. She walked over to the second door and looked in it. ANOTHER EMPTY ROOM. Wait- she looked closer and saw a person lying down on the ground. She walked over and saw a young man, maybe a few years older than herself. She knelt down and shook him softly.
"Hellooo," she sung quietly. His eyes flashed open and he jumped up.
"Who the hell are yo- oh, Hi. Sorry about that. Not used to being startled. I'm William, but call me Will," he said. He looked around the room.
"What the-," he started to say and Rose nodded.
"I know. Seems like every door leads to another empty room. I'm Rose. Your the only person I've seen so far. And no, I have no idea how we got here either," she said when he started to open his mouth. He sighed and closed it again.
"All right then. One of these rooms has to lead SOMEWHERE. Come on, let's go look around. If we don't find anything maybe we'll at least find SOMEONE," he said.
Rose nodded.
"FIne with me," she said and they both walked into another room not knowing what awaited them.

-- Mary --
"MARY! MARY WHERE ARE YOU!? MARY!!!!!"
Mary sat up with a start. She gasped for breath and looked around.
Where was she? She stood up and looked around. She was in a room. An empty room besides one door that she saw on the left side of her. She walked over to it and peered through it. Great, another room. What was going on? Her father would defently be hearing some complaints from her when she got home.
It's Luke. It must be Luke. He and his boys are always pulling pranks on me, she thought.
Oh they are soooooo gonna pay! Just wait until she sees their smirking faces again. They sure wouldn't be smirking much longer. Her stomach growled just then and she looked at it.
How long have I been here, she thought. She walked through the door and entered a completely dark room.
"Hello? Anyone in here," she asked out loud not really sure if anyone really was there.
sarahleinaar

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:15 pm

OOC: Thanks for the warm welcome Dia and Rockie ^_^

-ALEX-

"Hello? Anyone in here?"

Whose voice was that? It sounded nice and melodic. Slowly sitting up, Alex rubbed his ribs as he listened to hear it again. What was going on? No matter how hard he tried to adjust his eyes to the darkness, he still could not see anything at all. He was sore all over...only the sudden rumbling beneath him had stirred him back into consciousness. His head was pounding...what had happened? 'He could remember walking with Kitty to Sensei's place and then....nothing. KITTY! He jerked up suddenly, only to hear a soft hollow thump beside him. Bending down, his hands found the source of the sound: a wooden staff. What the.....

"Hey! Are you still there? Hello? I can't see anything....where are you?", he called out.

-KITTY-

Darkness. Rumble. Light.

The transition was so abrupt, it was almost painful. Stunned, Kitty's eyes slowly began to make out her surroundings that were suddenly lighten by a bright fluorescent light. Where....and what was happening? Her large hazel eyes lit with curiosity as she surveyed the room. All was stark and white. The small room had no windows, but only a large white door on the adjacent side of the room. She found herself shudder involuntarily. The only object in the all-white box was the stainless steel surgical table that she was sitting on. She looked down to check herself for abrasions, only to find a piece of red chalk in her left hand and a small leather bond book to her right.

"Curioser and curioser....", she softly mused to herself as she picked up the book for closer examination.

It was fairly old. Perhaps fifty to seventy years. It had been in a fairly wet climate, but in storage for several years based on the condition of the cover. Copic binding. Handmade. She opened it up and skimmed a few pages. Fairly yellowed paper. Thick. Vellum. The ink was still bright, but slightly blue. Fairly costly and probably European. She gently sniffed the musty aroma room the pages. Her eyes grew brighter with interest. The characters on the pages....was unlike anything she had ever seen. It was definitely a code of some sort, but it would take time and more information to decipher. Gently, she shut the book and placed it within the hidden inner pocket of her large overcoat. The chalk went in the front pocket of the charcoal colored coat that hung loosely over her dress.
She lifted herself from the table, listening intently to the sound her boots made when tapping the floor and feeling the subtle ruffle of the lace of her dress at her knees. Interesting. She was in a place with multiple levels, and at least by the sound of her shoes hitting the floor, there was at least a level beneath her. Perhaps the door might lead to some stairs out of this place. She made her way to it, grabbed the handle, and opened the door.
Phantom_Sorano

Postby sarahleinaar » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:25 am

-- Mary --
Mary looked around the room. She gasped when she heard a voice say something.
That just made her break down. Tears started falling down her face. SHe was only 16. Why was this happeneing to her.
"Yes, I'm here," she said taking a few steos foward. She slowly step-by-step walked foward until she tripped over something, o in this case, someone. She fell on top of the man. She gasped and jumped up as quickly as possible. "I'm so sorry sir, I just, I couldn't see you and it's just so dark. I wish there were lights," she said. Sudenelly lights flashed on blinding her. What in the world... She looked at the man she had stumbled upon.
"Are you all right," she asked.
sarahleinaar

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:18 pm

-ALEX-

Surprised by the sudden presence and light, it took him a few minutes to register what had happened. He felt his face slightly color as he lifted himself up. Of all the people he had fought with that tried to tackle him down....and it was done by a girl. His cool blue eyes studied the girl; she looked young...probably still a teenager. He felt his protective instincts kicking up; she looked terrified.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. Are you okay? My name's Alex...and you?", he asked.
Phantom_Sorano

Postby rocklobster » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:19 pm

As Jo and Peter entered the room, they heard voices.
"Well, I wasn't expected to meet other people this quickly." Peter said. "Should we introduce ourselves?"
Jo shrugged.
Peter walked up to all the people and said "Hello, the name's Peter. He took off his backpack.
"Don't you think you should save that?" Jo whispered.
"Jo, I'm going to try to get as many of us out as I can." Peter whispered back.
He turned to the other people. "If we work together, I'm sure we will all make it out. But we'll need to trust each other. And I have food if anyone needs any."
rocklobster

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:42 pm

OOC- sorry for taking so long to post XD

-Maka-

Maka woke to a headache. Exactly why, she wasn't sure, but it certainly didn't help make her feel good.
She sat up slowly, looking around. She was in an odd room, with four doors. Up, down, left and right. She felt a choice should be made, but she was not sure what choice could be made. There was a low rumbling, somewhere, but she couldn't place where it could be.
She contemplated, then stood, stretching out her muscles like she always did before a display of acrobatics. That thought puzzled her, in a fuzzy sort of way, but she didn't dwell on it and let it worry her.
Without further ado she lept up, grabbing the edge of the door in the ceiling. Cautiously, feeling that danger was possible, she raised her head slowly, looking around carefully.
It seemed the same as the room she just left, but it felt alright. So, slowly, she pulled herself up, tense as a coiled spring.
"Hello?" she called. "Anybody in here?"

-Eric-

Eric woke with a start as he heard a rumbling noise. He sat up slowly, looking around.
Despite the options before him, he did not move, but sat there, carefully trying to think this through. His mind was built for puzzles, and this somehow struck him as one. He did contemplate and wonder why he was here, but his mind, eager to solve a puzzle, focused on the doors.

OOC- sorry its kinda short. I'll try to do better next time.
Wolfsong

Postby sarahleinaar » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:29 pm

-- Rose and William --
The two looked up as two more people walked in.
"Hey, I'm Will, this is Rose," Will said introducing themselves. He looked at Peter.
"You don't happen to have any idea what's going on here do you," he asked.

-- Mary --
Mary looked at Alex. "My name is Mary," she said softly. She looked at him tears streaming down her face.
"Do you know how to get out of here," she asked.
sarahleinaar

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:44 pm

-ALEX-

"It's nice to meet you, Mary.", he said as he fished a bandana he kept his back pocket.

He handed it to her, pointing to her face with a smile.

"I'm not totally sure if I know how to get outta here, but I think my friend can. I think she was taken also and is somewhere...wherever here is. She's really smart."

His eyes began to survey the room. Now lit, it appeared to be a odd parlor where everything-the floors, lights, everything-was a deep blue. It made him feel uneasy. One side of the room hosted three doors.

"Which door do you think we should try Mary?"

-KITTY-

Before her was nothing but shadows. The area behind the door had no lights, but with the door still open to her first location, she could make out a small corridor with four doors-two on each side. Leaving the door open as a guide, she slowly ventured forward. Perhaps it was her fifth step, maybe seventh, that suddenly the door behind her closed with a loud slam leaving her in total darkness. 'Unnerving...', she thought to herself.

Her hands made contact with the walls, and she continued to inch forward when she heard it-a muffled voice. It was to her right and further head. The slow process of fumbling in the dark was beginning to feel like millenia when suddenly her hand made contact with a handle that turned over and opened a door. Out of habit, her fist gently tapped a few times before she opened it further to peer inside. Her eyes met the green eyes of a girl starring up at her. Blonde, but not brassy or bright-like Alex's.

"Umm....hello", she muttered.
Phantom_Sorano

Postby rocklobster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:54 am

OOC: Wolfsong, could you have your characters arrive in the room as Peter begins talking?
Peter sighed. It was now or never, he thought.
"Actually, I do have a small idea. We are part of an experiment. They only gave me the food and water, so I suppose they were selecting someone that would logically end up being the leader, since he had something they would obviously need."
Jo shook her head in disbelief. An experiment?
"I guess I'm what you would call a control." Peter continued. "That's why they gave me the supplies and told me one secret to the maze." He walked over to the door on the ceiling and took out a flashlight.
"The numbers on the doorways are a math problem. You add up all the numbers. Then, here's the tricky part: the sum has to be a prime number. If it is, the room is safe. If not, you're entering a trap. The traps are set different ways, so it is possible to walk into a room with a trap without dying."
"Dying?" Jo exclaimed. "I don't want to die here! I want to go home!"
"We can, if we work together." Peter assuaged her. "That's something else all of you should know, and Jo seems to have already figured out. We are not on Earth anymore."
rocklobster

Postby sarahleinaar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:11 am

-- Mary --
Mary looked at Alex and gratefully accepted his bandanna. This was no time to cry. She was a Redwood. And Redwoods never cried.
She looked at each door, one by one. Finally she pointed to the one in the middle.
"That one."
sarahleinaar

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:21 am

OOC: *reads Rockie's post* WHHHHAAAA?

-ALEX-

His reply to Mary's suggest was a smile and nod. Giving a sense of control over a situation always made him feel better, so he would let Mary call the shots for awhile. He walked over to the door, opened it, and was quickly greeted with a giant log swinging out, hitting him square in the chest. The air was knocked out of him as he was thrown clear across the room. The force of the blow had backlashed and slammed the door back shut. What in the world?!? He hadn't thought of it until now, but some of these doors could lead to something more dangerous. This wasn't good...
Phantom_Sorano

Postby sarahleinaar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Mary gasped and cried out when Alex was thrown across the room.
"ALEX," she yelled running over to him.
"Omg I am SO sorry, That was my fault. You never should have let me choose," she said.
She looked at the other doors. "Are you okay," she asked helping him up.
sarahleinaar

Postby rocklobster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:14 pm

OOC: Soran and Sarah, could you have the next room lead to where Peter is?
rocklobster

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:33 pm

OOC: Maybe....:P
OOC2:@Wolfsong-my character is talking to yours. Sorry about my vague writing.

-ALEX-

He was only able to shake his head in reply as he gratefully accepted the help up. He was still out of wind; gingerly he touched his ribs and winced. Cracked...at least three of them-it was not life threatening, but it was going to hurt for awhile. Sheepishly, he pointed at the door to the left of the first, indicating that maybe they should try that door next. Gathering his wits, he cautiously approached the other door, and with a moment of hesitation-opened the door to expect the worst.

Once his eyes opened from an involuntary wince, he saw that not only was there no obvious traps, there was a small gathering of people. He turned around and nodded to Mary, hoping she would understand his poor communications that it was okay.
Phantom_Sorano

Next

Return to RPGs and Roleplaying