Airsoft: Come one, come all!

Talk about anything in here.

Airsoft: Come one, come all!

Postby Crossfire » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:12 pm

So, thanks to some anime called Stella Women’s Academy, High School Division Class C3, airsoft seems to be getting a lot of recognition from the anime fanbase. With that in mind, I decided to open up this thread to answer any and all questions related to the "sport". From time to time (read: whenever I feel like it) I'll also post pictures ranging from battle reports to recent acquisitions, so you guys will have a better idea of what the hobby entails. So, yeah. Ask away.

FAQ (Ver. abridged)

H-sama, what exactly is airsoft?

Simply put, airsoft is a combat simulation sport not unlike paintball. The most basic layout comprises of two oposing teams trying to reach a set goal, whether it be by getting "kills" or completing a wide variety of objectives.

You use BB guns, right?

Although that term is technically correct in the grand scheme of things, the proper name to use is indeed "an airsoft gun". Whereas a BB gun can be air-powered and fire metal bearings, the same cannot be said for airosft which are limited to electrical, spring, & gas-powered guns, and fire only 6mm plastic bb's.

Does it hurt? What happens when you get hit?

"Does it hurt" is a hard question to answer due to the sheer number of circumstances that must be taken into account. Generally speaking, no, 6mm bb's do not bruise as badly as a paintball (and hey, they don't stain your cloths either!). However, it depends on the velocity (otherwise referred to as FPS) of the gun, and the material/amount of clothing you are currently wearing. As an example, I wore a light shirt and jacket to a game and got hit by a gun shooting roughly 370 feet per second. It's enough to feel the hits, but it doesn't sting or otherwise break skin. If you were just wearing the shirt, however...

Depending on the scenario, taking a hit is... well, taking a hit. As the plastic bb's don't drench your clothing in sticky residue, airsoft uses an honor system- which admittedly has caused issues and most certainly will continue to do so. When struck by an opposing player (or your idiot teammate), the casualty will stop whatever he/she is doing, raise his or her hand while yelling "HIT!!", then proceed to a designated "spawn" area.

Is there a minimum age?

Generally speaking, no... however, local airsoft groups and fields may opt write a specific set of rules where age may be a factor. From what I hear you guys in the States are much more open to younger players, but Canada is another story. Due to the legality (and the fact that kids tend to do stupid things), most games are played by persons 18 years of age or older. However, I think it's safe to say that as long as you are respectful and mature, people won't give a crap about your age.

What is the ratio of guys to girls in the airsoft fanbase?

Not going to lie, it's a male-dominant sport. Although there are women who participate in games, it's an exceedingly rare sight- at least, in North America.

Would you consider airsoft superior to paintball? What exactly is the difference?

To that first question, my answer is an absolute SPOILER: Highlight text to read: YES.

The biggest difference between airsoft and paintball are the weapons in which you wage simulated war with. As mentioned earlier, paintball uses gas or C02 powered guns labeled "markers". While you can buy accessories that will make it look more similar to a real firearm, it'll still look ridiculous due to the typical marker design. That's where airsoft comes into play, 99% of the guns on the market are true to their "real steel" counterparts- at least, externally. Aside from more realistic rifles, airsoft uses 6mm bb's as apposed to paintballs (but you already knew that), and as a result are much less painful. As for actually playing the game, airsoft seems to have a more serious mindset which goes hand-in-hand with the more realistic guns and uniforms. That's not to say that people can't have fun, quite the opposite in fact, but the general atmosphere might be off-putting to some individuals who just want to run around and shoot stuff without having to deal with objectives and the like.

*Will edit FAQ accordingly.
Last edited by Crossfire on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crossfire

Re: Airsoft: Come one, come all!

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:29 am

H-sama, why do you expect anyone but me to be ignorant enough to call you H-sama?

What prompted you to begin playing airsoft?

Is there an age minimum?

What is the ratio of guys to girls in the airsoft fanbase?

Would you consider airsoft superior to paintball?
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Crossfire » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:42 am

ClaecElric4God wrote:H-sama, why do you expect anyone but me to be ignorant enough to call you H-sama?

Because I'm とってもすごいいですね。

What prompted you to begin playing airsoft?

I didn't like paintball, but I liked the general idea of it. When I found out about airsoft, I figured that it would be a good hobby for me to invest in as I love running around outdoors in BDU's. And hey, being able to own a replica M4A1 or AK74 that you can legally shoot people with is pretty neat.
Crossfire

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Crossfire wrote: Because I'm とってもすごいいですね。
うそつき。

I know a lot of people who play airsoft around here, but I have never been fortunate to try it out myself (lack of time, money, etc.). I recall when it first became popular here and overtook the paintball crowd in a heartbeat.

Although, I have a question. When you play airsoft, like paintball, are their specific arenas set up for it? Or do you guys go out into the wilderness and make your own? XD
goldenspines

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 pm

goldenspines wrote:Although, I have a question. When you play airsoft, like paintball, are their specific arenas set up for it? Or do you guys go out into the wilderness and make your own? XD

I've played a few rounds with some friends (mostly with spring-loaded pistols, with the occasional CO2 or rifle), and whenever we played we'd just go out into the woods and declare some fallen tree or something as a base. Every once in a while someone dug a trench or made a shelter out of branches, but that required time and effort for things that weren't shooting each other.
Davidizer13

Postby Crossfire » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:01 pm

goldenspines wrote:
Crossfire wrote: Because I'm とってもすごいいですね。
うそつき。

:sniffle:

I know a lot of people who play airsoft around here, but I have never been fortunate to try it out myself (lack of time, money, etc.). I recall when it first became popular here and overtook the paintball crowd in a heartbeat.

Although, I have a question. When you play airsoft, like paintball, are their specific arenas set up for it? Or do you guys go out into the wilderness and make your own? XD

Naturally I can't speak for every single group on the planet, but in Canada it is illegal to play on crown (public) land. As such, we go to private fields specifically set up for airsoft and paintball. Edmonton is fortunate enough to have a pretty diverse range of environments, we've got three or so open/wooded fields, two plots of land complete with a towns littered about with scrapyard vehicles and planes, and finally two indoor arenas right in the heart of the city.
Crossfire

Postby Vilo159 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:10 pm

When I was little my cousins and I had a cabin up in the mountains of Arizona. There was a bunch of really big rocks nearby in the forest, which we inhabited and made into the greatest airsoft bunker of all time ( well at least for a bunch of 9-17 year old kids). I ha en''t played since then and the games we played were just very unorganized games of storm the base, but we all loved it. I would love to do it again, but I probably wouldn't be too keen on how organized and structured it would be; I would prefer to just go with some friends into the woods or river bottoms nearby and ha e a good time.
Vilo159

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Is airsoft co-ed, or are there guy teams and girl teams?

Where does one learn to play airsoft? On the field, or in an actual "airsoft class"?

When are you going to establish an airsoft base in a certain un-airsofted region of a certain State?

Does one have to join a team, or are there open airsoft matches?
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Postby Crossfire » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:48 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:Is airsoft co-ed, or are there guy teams and girl teams?

For the most part, there shouldn't be any gender discrimination. However, since there aren't many female players in the sport, it's highly recommended that you go with someone you know or the like.

Where does one learn to play airsoft? On the field, or in an actual "airsoft class"?

Well, it's advised to join an airsoft-related forum and learn as much as possible from there. However, the information you gather on the internet is pretty much negated if you never go out to a game. There are some things you can only learn on a simulated battlefield, after all.

When are you going to establish an airsoft base in a certain un-airsofted region of a certain State?

Sorry, but land in Montana seems to be pretty expensive these days. Add to the fact that practically nothing lives there... I think I'll abandon that plan altogether. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Not that I ever had a plan to establish a base in the USA anyways.

Does one have to join a team, or are there open airsoft matches?

Once again, it depends on what the game organizers decide to do. Most games do not require players to join a special club, although joining a local forum is always a good step to take. If you're just starting out, I'd be inclined to search for players with a similar mindset and a comfortable atmosphere.
Crossfire

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Are airsoft guns more expensive than paintball guns, or less?
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby Crossfire » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Panda4christ:3 wrote:Are airsoft guns more expensive than paintball guns, or less?

Much like different makes & models of cars, the price of airsoft guns differ significantly from manufacture to manufacturer. A top-tier tricked-out AEG or GBBR is going to be very expensive, whereas your run-off-the-mill entry level AEG will cost you $100 - $250. It depends on your budget, how you want the gun to preform, and lastly your preferred looks and playstyle. Taking that into account, generally speaking airsoft is indeed a less expensive alternative to paintball. "Ammunition" is considerably cheaper, and you don't have to worry about C02 or propane if you decide to purchase a battery powered rifle. Not to mention avoiding countless hours of having to remove paint from clothing.
Crossfire

Postby PandaPop » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:51 am

I haven't heard anyone talk about airsoft in years, I think its cool its getting some recognition again, I never played on teams or anything legit like that, but my family owned them and we loved it, we played with them for a long time.
Quick Story- One time my brother was chasing me with his airsoft gun so I ran into the bathroom to hide, then about 10 seconds later I feel a major sting on my toe and start hopping and holding my foot (I was very young then so pain felt worse lol). My brother had stuck the gun under the door and shot me lol, from then on if I ran in the bathroom I jumped on the counter.
PandaPop

Postby Crossfire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:26 am

Well, it's certainly starting to get a lot of recognition here in Edmonton. It's a long process though, there will always be people who are appalled and scoff at the idea of grown men shooting each other with replica firearms. Doesn't help when some idiot teenager decides to attempt a robbery with one in hand, prompting the activists to chant "ban airsoft as it is unsafe and promotes violence!". A long process indeed...

Anywho, it seems like many people's first experience with an airsoft gun is running around in the backyard. Not to bash on yard skirmishes, kids will be kids after all, but I feel like airsoft as a sport has come a long way from those simple days. Heck, some of the larger games incorporate vehicles- including fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters. A little more involvement than simply shooting your friends in the woods, no? :lol:
Crossfire

Postby PandaPop » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:24 pm

ahh yes dang those activists lol, each to his own suppose. Wow though I had no idea they got so intense, I may have to look this up on youtube, you have peaked my interest!
PandaPop

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:12 pm

What is your fondest airsoft memory?

Is there a ranking system for how good one is at airsoft?

Are there ever unofficial airsoft events where two captains pick teams from a group?

Have you or anyone you know ever been seriously injured in an airsoft game?

Do you get a sense of satisfaction from pseudo-murdering people?

Do airsofters usually wear camo?

ClaecElric4God

Postby Crossfire » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:59 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:What is your fondest airsoft memory?

Is there a ranking system for how good one is at airsoft?

Are there ever unofficial airsoft events where two captains pick teams from a group?

Have you or anyone you know ever been seriously injured in an airsoft game?

Do you get a sense of satisfaction from pseudo-murdering people?

Do airsofters usually wear camo?

1. On an individual level, spread out through multiple games? Probably not.

2. Maybe? One of the fields around Edmonton has a game every week, and as such, attendance is sporadic at best. Since you want to keep the teams as even as possible you might be voluntold to join another team. Some people bring an extra set of BDU's in case they find themselves in a situation like this.

3. Somebody tripped on a log and sprang his ankle a few weeks ago. Thankfully no one has been seriously (or even moderately) injured in a game that I have participated in.

4. It keeps the IRL bloodlust in check, so yeah. I'd say that it's a good stress reliever.

5. A set of BDU's is definitely preferred, but once again, it depends on the scenario of the game. In Alberta it's usually "GREEN" versus "TAN" for basic matches.
Crossfire

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:30 pm

What about the first question? Wait, they wipe your memory after each game, don't they? Or do you go into survival mode where your thoughts and emotions shut down?

ClaecElric4God

Postby Crossfire » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Every game has it's moments, the last time I played I shot a guy through two opposite windows of a building. I felt like a top-tier marksman lol. Also during the same game, I managed to clear a building of four dudes whilst my teammates were getting killed left and right.
Crossfire

Postby Peanut » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Oh Airsoft. A friend got me into it for a little while in College. Most of my moments involved him sending me over a hill to certain death. This included one time when I was the team medic and so the other team medic tried to rescue me and also got shot. Still, I had a few good moments such as this one time when I took out about 5 guys who were trying to run around a building. There was also all of Terrorwerks which was one the most enjoyable things I've ever done at a con.
Peanut

Postby Crossfire » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:54 pm

Because I feel like it, here's a few pictures I took recently.

This one's an AEG based on the AK-74 series of rifles, the successor to the infamous AK-47.

And a Christmas present to myself; the venerable 1911- albeit a modernized version with an underslung rail. (Because apparently those are the bees' knees these days.) It's a bit unique in the sense that it can be powered by both C02 cartriges and conventional gas/propane- I have yet to try either because it's simply too cold outside to test.
Crossfire

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:40 pm

Crossfire wrote:(Because apparently those are the bees' knees these days.)

Rails are useful for certain applications, and are easy enough to deal with if you don't need them on your unit.

Rails are not 'bees' knees these days' Tactical is the bees' knees these days; if you don't believe me go look up the 5.11 tactical kilt, an April Fool's gag ad that was so popular that they put it into production.

Rails are Tacticool.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Crossfire » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 pm

My mistake, and duly noted. Either way I don't plan on putting any attachments on these two, mostly because a majority of them are useless during an airsoft game to begin with... the exception being a streamlight or surefire or the like during a night game.
Crossfire

Postby MomentOfInertia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:54 pm

Not a problem.

Actually I'd guess you get a lot less of it in airsoft circles; between the different support equipment and the fact that you have a lower lower threshold before the gun-bling is worth more than the gun itself.

Cool toys either way, have fun. o_o/
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:19 am

Got an AK-47 gas powered air-soft gun for Christmas.

It is pretty cool.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Crossfire » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:56 pm

AK pattern rifles seem to be the best GBBR's. A local player brought one to a Vietnam-themed event... completely submerged it in a swamp resulting in little-to-no issues throughout the rest of the game.

Anyways, what's the brand/manufacturer of yours? I'm assuming it has the appropriate wood stock and whatnot.
Crossfire

Return to General