Rice balls!!!!!

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:17 am

Soy sauce is just salty, that's all. It doesn't taste nasty if you don't put too much on your food. Anything is nasty if you use too much of it.

I encourage culinary experimentation. Learning to appreciate different types of food instead of eating only what you're comfortable with can open up your world so much.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Xeno » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:37 am

Yuki-Anne (post: 1593852) wrote:Soy sauce is just salty, that's all. It doesn't taste nasty if you don't put too much on your food. Anything is nasty if you use too much of it.

I encourage culinary experimentation. Learning to appreciate different types of food instead of eating only what you're comfortable with can open up your world so much.

I concur. May I suggest you sample some of the mountain oysters while you're at it?

Honestly though, soy sauce is basically a staple in asian cuisine. It's fine if you don't like it outright, but you probably eat various dishes that are made containing it and have no idea.
Xeno

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:08 am

Xeno (post: 1593854) wrote:Honestly though, soy sauce is basically a staple in asian cuisine. It's fine if you don't like it outright, but you probably eat various dishes that are made containing it and have no idea.

Not many people know this, but soy sauce is a key ingredient in German Chocolate Cake.
Yuki-Anne

Postby SierraLea » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:03 am

Does anyone have a good recipe? I want to try making them for my family and want to get it right the first time so they fall in love with them and want to know more about Japan, so I can get them to think that Anime and manga aren't a total waste of my time.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:51 am

What about Thai sweet chili sauce, that radioactive-orange chunky stuff with all the Asian languages on the bottle? That goes pretty well with rice or noodles; the taste tends to overpower most of the other flavors in the dish, but if it's just rice, it shouldn't be too bad.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:54 am

You must mean Sriracha. Yes, it is quite powerful if you've not developed a tolerance, but rice works as an excellent counter to the heat.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:01 pm

[quote="Davidizer13 (post: 1593874)"]What about Thai sweet chili sauce, that radioactive-orange chunky stuff with all the Asian languages on the bottle? That goes pretty well with rice or noodles]

Actually, what I would recommend doing along those lines is making sweet chili shrimp (or sweet and sour shrimp) and putting it inside the rice ball. Done it; it's really good.

Sierra, what flavors does your family usually like? Rice balls are so versatile that you can ease them in slowly by making them with a tried and true flavor that your family loves.
Yuki-Anne

Postby skreyola » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:10 pm

armeck (post: 1593553) wrote:my cousin tried to make rice balls. but he is bad at shaping things so they came out as rice triangles.

According to the site someone linked later in this thread, that's the traditional shape... and I see it a lot in animes, so triangular onigiri aren't a failure. :)
skreyola

Postby Atria35 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:42 pm

SierraLea (post: 1593866) wrote:Does anyone have a good recipe? I want to try making them for my family and want to get it right the first time so they fall in love with them and want to know more about Japan, so I can get them to think that Anime and manga aren't a total waste of my time.

Rice balls might spark an interest in Japanese food (maybe, but it's seriously just rice with stuff inside. You can say the same of Mexican rice, when it comes right down to it), but there is absolutely no connection between being interested in Japanese food to not thinking anime and manga are pointless.

Don't bug out so much about them not liking/appreciating a hobby you have. You don't *have* to share interests with all of them. That would be creepy.
Atria35

Postby Xeno » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Atria35 (post: 1593925) wrote:Rice balls might spark an interest in Japanese food (maybe, but it's seriously just rice with stuff inside. You can say the same of Mexican rice, when it comes right down to it), but there is absolutely no connection between being interested in Japanese food to not thinking anime and manga are pointless.

Don't bug out so much about them not liking/appreciating a hobby you have. You don't *have* to share interests with all of them. That would be creepy.

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Xeno

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Atria35 (post: 1593925) wrote: You can say the same of Mexican rice, when it comes right down to it

I think you may be on to something there - using Mexican rice in rice balls, maybe with more spicy and/or South Asian-inspired stuff? Then again, I've never had a rice ball or tried anything like this, so I have no idea what I'm talking about, as usual.

[quote="Yuki-Anne (post: 1593902)"]Actually, what I would recommend doing along those lines is making sweet chili shrimp (or sweet and sour shrimp) and putting it inside the rice ball. Done it]

I'm not a huge fan of shrimp - are we talking fried shrimp here, or plain? If it's fried, I wonder about replacing it with some tempura chicken, 'cause I'll take any excuse to put chili sauce on something.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Ella Edric » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Xeno (post: 1593727) wrote:Did somebody say rice?

This made me laugh. So hard. XD I seriously couldn't stop staring at it for like a minute. Hahaha
[color="LightBlue"]"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." --Thomas Jefferson [/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Pink"]~Proud member(and starter), of the sisterhood of CAA.~ [/color][/font]
[color="YellowGreen"]Furen: Without you Canada would be feeling bad. we'd all be depressed [/color]
CognitiveGear 07:08 - I hear that Jesus is a pretty rad dude who teaches us to love everyone.
[color="Silver"]Midknight74012 09:04 - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine[/color]
[color="Red"]@)}~`,~[/color] [color="SeaGreen"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="RoyalBlue"]This is MOES[/color]:dance:
Ella Edric

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:02 am

Jigzy (post: 1593849) wrote:I don't know. I forgot what it tastes like but I just don't think it looks good and every time I see the packets of it at the Chinese food place I never get it. I always usually get plain fried rice every time but I've had it where they put some kind of meat in it before. Like chicken or some other kind of meat that I don't know what you call it. I don't really eat many of the beef dishes either.

But fried rice is usually cooked in soy sauce...
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Jigzy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:49 am

Really? I never knew that.
Jigzy

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:06 am

Thats why it's kind of tan but still sticks together. If it was brown rice it wouldn't stick.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Sammy Boy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:52 am

I like onigiri with only a sprinkling of sesame seeds on top.

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1594212) wrote:But fried rice is usually cooked in soy sauce...

I am curious ... really? I've eaten lots of fried rice, mine's never done in soy sauce....
Sammy Boy

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:32 am

I've had garlic fried rice without the soy sauce a few times in the past. I'm sure there are other fried rice recipes that don't include it, but the one thing that makes it different in appearance from steamed rice is the addition of the soy sauce to give it that nice brown color.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:36 am

Sammy Boy (post: 1594222) wrote:I am curious ... really? I've eaten lots of fried rice, mine's never done in soy sauce....

I mean like the kind you get from a chinese carry-out or a hibachi grill or something.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Lilac#18 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:48 pm

[color="Plum"]I've never tried rice balls, but I've always wanted to.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Selenite (post: 1594678) wrote:[color="Plum"]I've never tried rice balls, but I've always wanted to.[/color]
Ever had rice? It's like that but shaped in a ball form.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:47 pm

Well, now, not quite, because the filling is what makes it interesting. And the seaweed, if you're into that.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:21 pm

My mistake. I thought it was just rice and seaweed. Maybe some sesame seeds here and there.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:49 pm

Fish eggs, man. Fish eggs.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Rusty Claymore » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:38 am

I've made some recently using Tuna-Kewpi Mayonaise and some with Himeboshi(Pickled Plums). When I was in Japan I learned a few tricks for onigiri, one being to salt your hands before you make one. It makes it extra tasty. Lil' sis also figured out that if you get your hands wet, burning-lava hot [S]tar[/S] rice won't stick to your hands, just to the onigiri.

If anybody would like, I could post pictures on the technique I use to make the triangle onigiri.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby skreyola » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:48 pm

I think that would be interesting.
skreyola

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:11 am

Rusty Claymore (post: 1595364) wrote:I've made some recently using Tuna-Kewpi Mayonaise and some with Himeboshi(Pickled Plums). When I was in Japan I learned a few tricks for onigiri, one being to salt your hands before you make one. It makes it extra tasty. Lil' sis also figured out that if you get your hands wet, burning-lava hot [S]tar[/S] rice won't stick to your hands, just to the onigiri.

If anybody would like, I could post pictures on the technique I use to make the triangle onigiri.

...himeboshi? I believe you mean umeboshi. But those are some nice tips anyway.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:27 pm

。 。 。/facepalm.

Yes, umeboshi. Thank you Yuki-Anne. >_<
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Cleanedbyblood » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:58 pm

I tried making some once with a sushi kit (they had only the rice and the nori in the kit I picked up at walmart (I haven't seen them in a while so I'm thinking they stopped carrying it). They were plain and tiny but I had fun making them
It is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in people. Psalm 118:8

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to Him,
and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
Cleanedbyblood

Re: Rice balls!!!!!

Postby Tohru » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 pm

I remember making them last year after watching Fruits Basket for the first time haha They tasted good, but it became extremely messy :waah!:
Tohru

Re: Rice balls!!!!!

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:15 pm

I've made onigiri several times before, and I've used all sorts of ingredients. I've made a lot of bento boxes so I've made them in their traditional shapes with the nori, smaller triangles, flower-shaped, stars, and more. My mom's a major Star Wars fan, so I've even used molds to make them look like small yoda faces. :)
mysngoeshere56

Previous Next

Return to General