What should I expect from my first Con?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby DaughterOfZion » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:42 pm

I don't think there's been a sighting since '08. Pretty sure she's safe. Plus we're talking separate coasts.
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Postby sandalwood » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:30 am

K. Ayato (post: 1516650) wrote:No guarantee he'll be at the con, but beware the man-Faye.

Who, this guy?
:pikka: My DeviantART :pikka:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(╯°__°)╯︵ ┻━┻ - Mark 11: 15-17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"]~Life doesn't have to be perfect for us to [color="YellowGreen"]believe[/color] in God.
~It doesn't have to be imperfect for us to [color="YellowGreen"]need[/color] Him.[/SIZE][/font]
sandalwood

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:37 am

That's one version. Version my friends and I were unfortunate to encounter had a skimpier costume and boy was he hairy.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby TheMewster » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Who is Faye?

EDIT:Oops, didn't know there were two pages to this thread. Mah bad.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:47 pm

Dang, I was all ready to start tossing tips around, but you guys beat me to everything I was gonna say :)

Animazement is actually a really good con to start off with. It was the first convention I ever attended, back when it was in Durham, and it's still a personal favorite. It's probably the most family-friendly con I know of, which is cool.

Regarding the cosplay-for-more-than-one-day question, just remember to think about hygiene. Walking around Raleigh in the hot sun and standing around in a crowded building with lots of other people can get you all sweaty FAST, and clothes can suffer accordingly. If you aren't going to be changing, at least be sure to bathe regularly to avoid the dreaded Con Funk (Febreze can help in a pinch, too)

Lines at Animazement can vary greatly depending on what events you're waiting for. Major guest-related stuff and big events like the Cosplay Masquerade start lining up early and stretch out looooooong, but smaller panels often don't develop lines at all. It's the sort of thing you'll want to play by ear.

(also, ashfire, I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one who doesn't care much for the Hyatt Regency. I'm SOOOO glad AUSA is moving next year!)
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:08 pm

^Were you at AUSA? I wanted to go to Animazement but I had nobody to drive me and it's right at the end of the school year.

One of the best things about cons is you have nice strong cosplayers carrying you around like a baby :).
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:05 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1517480) wrote:^Were you at AUSA?

Yeah, actually... and I'm still not caught up on the sleep I lost :sweat:
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Postby ashfire » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:57 am

I guess I better find out where AUSA is moving to. I should have asked a friend of mine where they were showing AMVs Sat. He told me there was another room where they would be shown at 11:30 am. Another thing was that the staff member who asked that I leave the main events should have said something about it.
ashfire

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:56 am

Next year AUSA is going to be in the Marriott Wardman Park, in actual DC rather than Crystal City. It's near where I work, and it's MUCH bigger than the Hyatt.
Image Image

Blitzkrieg1701

Postby DaughterOfZion » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:27 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1517480) wrote:One of the best things about cons is you have nice strong cosplayers carrying you around like a baby :).

Wait what? :wow!: :XD: Please explain. :) I'm dying of curiosity.
Last edited by DaughterOfZion on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Postby aliveinHim » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:59 pm

During photoshoots, there are some people who are really nice and they'll hold you like a baby if you are doing a fan pairing. I was Momo Hinamori and there was a man dressed as Toshiro Hitsugaya (Bleach) and he held me like a baby. I felt so special.

Blltzkrieg, who did you cosplay?
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

aliveinHim

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:05 pm

^ Uhhh... yeah, that's not exactly normal, aliveinHim. Even for Con standards, that seems pretty creepy.
Atria35

Postby aliveinHim » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:11 pm

A lot of people at AUSA got asked to be held. Hugs are one of the best things at cons though ;).

aliveinHim

Postby ashfire » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:20 pm

Blitzkrieg1701 (post: 1517544) wrote:Next year AUSA is going to be in the Marriott Wardman Park, in actual DC rather than Crystal City. It's near where I work, and it's MUCH bigger than the Hyatt.

I would hope that finding a place to park won't be a problem if I do go.
I have never been great with traveling thru Wash. DC. I have lived in the suburbs and have only traveled uptown when friends or family have visited to see the sites.
Most of the time we got lost.
ashfire

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:19 pm

ashfire (post: 1517743) wrote:I would hope that finding a place to park won't be a problem if I do go.
I have never been great with traveling thru Wash. DC. I have lived in the suburbs and have only traveled uptown when friends or family have visited to see the sites.
Most of the time we got lost.

Oh... Supposedly the Marriott's got a decent parking deck, but I doubt it's cheap. The only previous time I've been to a con in that area (back when Katsucon was at the Omni across the street) we parked outside of town and rode the Metro in.

aliveinHim (post: 1517727) wrote:Blltzkrieg, who did you cosplay?

My most common costumes are Dr. Forrester from Mystery Science Theater 3000, Irvine from Final Fantasy VIII, The Bard from Ragnarok Online, and a couple of Digimon characters (namely season 2 Matt and Ryo)
Image Image

Blitzkrieg1701

Postby aliveinHim » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Who were you on Saturday?

aliveinHim

Postby ashfire » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:01 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1517800) wrote:Who were you on Saturday?

Well I didn't cosplay that day. I came in just my everyday clothes, my fire dept jacket and hat.
I did cosplay at Otakon and Nekocon. I wore my Japanese Rescue Firefighter uniform in honor of the Japanese Firefighters that died in Japan during the tsunami and for the 10th anniversary of 9/11 at Otakon Friday and Sat.
At Nekocon I was a Steampunk Firefighter sort of late 18th Century early 19th Century type Japanese outfit with a real hand pump fire extingusiher.
ashfire

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:28 pm

I spent most of Saturday as either Ichabod (a character from my webcomic Far Out There) or Dr. Forester.
Image Image

Blitzkrieg1701

Postby TheMewster » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:46 am

I've never been to a con. Nevertheless if I went to one, I'd either dress up as Yomi from Azumanga Daioh, or a furry. Most likely I'd be a furry.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Sai-Chan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:15 am

hehe! i'm attending my 1st con in april ^^
Sai-Chan

Re: What should I expect from my first Con?

Postby alma » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:36 pm

I want to attend to one this year, in the summer...but do not want to do it alone since it will be my first one :)
alma

Postby ashfire » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:35 pm

alma wrote:I want to attend to one this year, in the summer...but do not want to do it alone since it will be my first one :)

I attended my first anime con and a few others close by on my own until I found a anime club to join. Mostly I was just going for the day until I started staying over night and out of state cons. Since the club broke up I go to the con with a couple of friends from the club. Still run into some of the old members from our club at a con.
ashfire

Re:

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:22 am

K. Ayato wrote:No guarantee he'll be at the con, but beware the man-Faye.

Is he more awesome than Sailor Bubba or man-Rosette?
Atria35

Postby ashfire » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:12 pm

I hope that someone's first con was not Katsucon this year after the problems that arose from conflict of two different organzations using the Gaylord Hotel at the same time. It seem the Katsucon people got the worse of it from some of the B'nai B'rith Youth Org. attendees.
I have ran into that before when attending a anime con and the place hosting it has another group or groups using the place too.
You could see a lot of tension or verbal exchanges between the groups or scorn from people about what you are doing.
Just besure that someone does not touch you anyway. I have heard there was pushing or grabing of con attendees. Leave those problems to con staff to handle or the security or police on hand.
ashfire

Previous

Return to General