CAA Radio - Episode 36 "TRAVA!!!"

The anime/manga/forums podcast

CAA Radio - Episode 36 "TRAVA!!!"

Postby Link Antilles » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:58 pm

In this show, we go crazy about Redline, wrap up the summer season, and start our new awards segment.

You can download or stream the show from here. -Or search "CAA Radio" on iTunes!

Question for the Audience:
If the podcast was Ouran Host Club, what "type" of host is each member of the podcast?

Show we talked about:
Tiger & Bunny
Steins;Gates
Redline
Mindgame
Mawura Penguin Drum
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Trigun
Link Antilles

Postby goldenspines » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:48 pm

Downloading faster than you can say "Redliiiiiiiiiine".
Will update when the fun has been listened to.

Also, currently expressing my joy for the ask the audience question being brought back. Will give answer after listening~
goldenspines

Postby rocklobster » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:16 am

I don't see it on itunes. Are you a little late in updating the itunes page?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Link Antilles » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:53 am

rocklobster (post: 1509420) wrote:I don't see it on itunes. Are you a little late in updating the itunes page?

That process is automated. This episode download works if you are subscribed to the podcast via iTunes. -Might be slow to show up on the iTunes page itself because I submitted this on a weekend...
Link Antilles

Postby goldenspines » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Great shows guy~

Question to the audience answer:
Link: Jack Bauer
Kitchan: Huni
Mech: The Twins *is shot*
Fish: The Spoiler of endings or Kyouya.

That is a good point. No one ever asks how Link is doing.

Dictator cast!

Bleach jumped the shark. And keeps jumping and jumping and jumping.
As much as I love Mamoru Miyano’s laugh, I can’t force myself to finish Steins;Gate. Sorry Link. :<

Redline! First five minutes, I was hooked. That music and that animation were absolutely gorgeous. In such a short amount of time, it builds a beautiful and solid universe that is easy to accept and flow with.
The best part about it is the first part of the whole movie though. The text when you are told “This is the future where we have flying cars, but there are these guys, these CRAZY people that still race with wheels. This is simply rubber to the road.”
But, you guys talked about it more than I ever could. I’m happy you devoted a section on this episode for it. :3
We all need “XD” buttons in our cars.

What are you talking about, Mech. Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is leaps and bounds better than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Even Summer Wars is way better than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
Scale for easy reference: Disappearance > Summer Wars >>>>Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
Needless to say, I didn’t like the movie too well, but it was pretty okay. Just like, nothing compared to those other two. :\
Guys guys, time travel is everywhere. In fact, we are traveling through time right now.
Legato is the voice of Kenshin? WhatisthisIdon’teven. How did I not realize that.
Mind Game: Where God throws a scene of your death together in Photoshop. *adds to the “to-watch soon” list*

LIVE PLANNING! Yay~
This award show will be the show to end all shows. Friendships will be broken, lives will be ripped apart, and every will buy popcorn and enjoy the show.
Award categories:
Cromatie High School – I haven’t seen this, but looked on youtube for clips and oh my gosh, the seal.
FLCL: I didn’t laugh during FLCL, but there was a lot of “lolwut” coming from me, I suppose. XD It has creativity, though.
Hellsing LOL
Ouran – Yes, a comedy. It’s a solid romantic comedy. I love it with all my heart, but…
Nichijou – “You’re my best, best friend!” Yes, this show. Oddly enough, Fish’s comment about Ouran also applies to Nichijou. The very unique characters playing off of each other give the story the comedy and drive it along. But, there are so many different types of comedy in this, from slapstick to silent movie, to simply taking everyday life situations (like going to a new coffee shop for the first time. Honestly, that is scary for me, you guys. D: Or seeing your crush with another girl and how you react to that. Yes, you will swim through a river and save a little drowning boy in the process). The fun never ends with Nichijou. It’s a winner.

The fighting begins! Tear each other up! *starts collecting bets*

Fight scenes:
I dunno, all your choices seem to boring to me. :< Sorry guys.
Jin’s fight was definitely one of the better ones, though. Although, yes, on the topic of Trigun, there are plenty of wonderful fight scenes displaying Vash’s excellent sharpshooting skills. Yet, the one between Legato and Vash was definitely one of the best because it didn’t rely on how good Vash was. It was definitely the point in the series when I had to stop and go “oh snap, this show got real.”
Do I dare throw out the very short battle between Alberto and Taiso in Giant Robo?

Memorable anime quotes:
“Believe in me that believes in you!” – gotta admit this is my favorite quote of Gurren Lagann. Good choice Mech~

Out of context anime quote:
This one is hard to choose. D8
Gotta go with Link's “Mr. President, we can’t let Funky Boy destroy the planet.”

I’ll throw in my own. “Salut pagi!” or better yet “Broccoli!”

Long post is long. Sorry. D:

EDIT: HOW COULD I FORGET THIS. Brilliant trailer made by a fan for The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sYO1Vz9KE10#
goldenspines

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:32 pm

The thing that throws me off on the Haruhi movie,(which I guess I wasn't clear about), is that, while it's one of the best time travel movies I've ever seen, I havn't seen the 2 seasons before it to really make it as strong as it was for other people. I still say it's probably better than Girl Who Lept through time, but GWLTT didn't need 30+ episodes of an anime for me to get the full meaning, which is why I probably have a different opinion. As for Summer wars, still havn't seen it.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby rocklobster » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:10 pm

My picks.
Comedy: HATE FLCL with a passion. Haven't seen Cromartie. So, I'll go with Azumanga Daioh.
Fight Scene: What you said about Vash vs. Legato. I also liked the Bradley vs. everyone fight.
Quote: I got all of you beat: "If you want to know the truth, you must have the courage to accept it."--B.T. .hack//sign
Out of context: your choices were too good. I'll let you fight it out.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:37 pm

...wait, Link is blonde?

Kitsune, you didn't sing the line? I've gotten many a concerned look for singing that line. Sing it and you'll have my vote. >_</)

Comartie sounds like a must-watch.

Mech, I think you have the best memi-quote, but you left out half of the power of it. "Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me, the one who believes in you!"

I almost said, "Paku!" outloud when you started talking about jumping the shark. Would have been an interesting day in the office after that...

Out of context? "She's an american!" You get hit a lot, though... So my vote is still pending with Kitsune.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:10 pm

On Steins;Gate: the predecessor was indeed Chaos;Head, a game which was apparently not bad, but the anime adaptation of which was pretty bad. On the subject of visual novel adaptations though, when people were anticipating it, it's usually because of hearsay that leaks over from the Japanese internet. For me, Steins;Gate was super interesting because I think it's the first piece of fiction that uses a modern urban legend or myth, the John Titor story. I'd suggest going through the John Titor site, because there's a lot of stuff there that shows up in Steins;Gate.

On Disappearance: yes, not watching the TV anime definitely hurts the experience, because a lot of the huge reveals and clever writing require the context of the series up until that point. I think Link mentioned how it's like Nichijou, where seemingly inconsequential details show up and come back later. Almost all the big things that happen in Disappearance rely on this kind of previous knowledge.

AWARDS

I think I've gotta go with Nichijou for comedy as well.

My favourite fight scene is from the fifth Kara no Kyoukai movie, where Shiki fights a bunch of zombies and the main villain, Araya Souren. Look it up or, even better, watch all of Kara no Kyoukai.

For quotes, I think I'll go with either “My abusive words are filled with forty grams of copper, twenty five grams of zinc, fifteen grams of nickel, five grams of embarrassment and ninety seven kilograms of spite.” or "Form a contract with me and become a magical girl!" I don't know which one is more memorable or better out of context.
blkmage

Postby MomentOfInertia » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:31 pm

The sound's fixed! \o_o/

You guys have once again added awesome sounding shows to my watch list.

I like the awards show idea.

Will there be a "listener's choice" in each category as well as your pick?

I hope you'll give us a list of source shows for the random quotes after the awards are done. Because the one I recognized has a completely different feel when you don't know who's saying it and when.

I'd also like to suggest a few awards.

"Most entertaining fight scene"

You've done the serious, the deep, the meaningful, what fights are the most fun?

"Best filler"
Filler can be horrible but what is the best it can be?
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:14 am

I enjoyed this episode a great deal, though I wish I knew enough to fully participate in the question for the audience. I enjoyed the discussion and I think I'd like to check out some of the more surreal shows you mentioned like Cromartie High.

"Most entertaining fight scene"
You've done the serious, the deep, the meaningful, what fights are the most fun?

I would say the clocktower battle in Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro. Makes me smile every time. :)

Also....

Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby ich1990 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Well, Fish took all my suggestions, so I am going to have to pick out some alternates:

Best comedy: Odin Photon Space Sailor Starlight

Yes, that song is actually in the anime. In its entirety. It is clear that Odin could have been the best anime ever. Sadly, the random live action metal interludes don't make up for the outrageously boring middle portions of the anime.

Best fight scene: Kenshin versus Saito

Kit-Chan already nominated a Kenshin fight, but I thought this one was far better, personally. Saito slowly draws Kenshin back in time to the bloody civil war era, back to when both Kenshin and Saito were on opposite sides and killed many of each others friends. Saito rips the old wounds open, and even Kenshin's pacifistic ideals can't hold the past back. He defaults to his old manslayer ways and they have a brutal fight. It is not the best fight, technically, but it has so much emotion and backstory that it feels far more visceral than it looks. To this day it sticks in my mind as one of the best fights ever.

Best quote out of context: "Killing people is simple. All you have to do is forget the taste of sugar."

Best quote: Not really sure, actually. I am going to have to think about this one.

Finally, another plug for Cromartie High School: Tough biker dude saving the damsel in distress.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Vracer111 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:02 am

Just wanted to say I enjoyed the podcast (first one I listened to) and will be going through more of them. Main reason I listened to this one first is because it was covering Redline, which is currently my favorite Anime movie title. Will be interesting to see how the English dub fares in comparison, well the masses will find out January 17th I guess...

Some of the other shows talked about piqued my interest too...

Nichijou
MindGame (one which I've heard of and read a little about before)
Cromartie High School

Comedies... have not seen any of those, though I have heard much about them. My personal favorite would be Dai-Guard...a super robot show where a defense company is the last line of defense fighting off alien monsters with a 'demo/mockup' Super robot everybody thought was just a mockup show piece for defense trade shows. However the company is responsible for all damage they cause (and with the 3-pilots they have, oh boy! LOL) and are trying to keep costs down to keep from going under. It's a riot, especially with the awesome English Dub - comedy gold! :lol:

Fight scenes... from the discussion I'd have to go with Sword of the Stranger final showdown, No Name Vs. Lou-Lang. Personally I'd add the ending fight sequence from Birdy the Mighty: Decode 02, Birdy Cephon Altera Vs. Nataru Shinmyou. Runner up would be the two main Alphard vs. Canaan fight sequences from Canaan...the 'party' fight and the final 'train' fight
Vracer111

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:06 pm

I do not know why it took me so long to post here.

Interestingly enough, both of Link's things are written and directed by Kenji Kamiyama, a protege of Mamoru Oshii(Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, The Sky Crawlers) who also did both seasons of S.A.C. and Eden of the East proper and is currently working on a remake of Cyborg 009. He's a pretty cool guy and I definitely want to see S.A.C..

Number of movies that are share a basic concept but none of the themes or social satire of Summer Wars: 1
Number of adaptations of Yasutaka Tsutsui's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: 6

I absolutely adore both movies, and I don't mind someone saying they like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time more as a matter of preference, because really, they're about even, but saying The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is more original is both ignoring the fact that its concept is from a novel(which has been adapted many time) and ignoring most of what Summer Wars is about to say it "copied" Digimon is kind of annoying, especially since I've seen Bokura no War Game and I thought it was pretty great, but Summer Wars certainly didn't "copy" it.

Anyways award time

Best comedy is difficult, because I love FLCL, Nichijou, and Ouran about the same, but the matter is what is the best comedy, not the best show, so that will definitely have to go to Nichijou, because Ouran may be one of the best I've seen at balancing comedy/drama and FLCL may be a fantastic coming of age story, but Nichijou is definitely the most hilarious and also b'awww comedy I've seen.

Best fight scene will, yeah, have to give it to Sword of the Stranger, the Clash of Causes. The fight between Nanashi and Luo Lang is absolutely fantastic, from a thematic perspective and a choreography one. It is great and everyone should watch that movie, it may be Bones best work.

Best line will definitely have to be "I have a gun in my heart!", which is kind of the opposite of Kit-chan's and Link's, but that is one of my absolutely favorite parts of all anime.

And I got nuttin' for the last category.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby seaglass27 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:16 pm

Great episode, guys! It's the first CAA podcast I've listened to in its entirety and I was laughing right along with you.
seaglass27

Return to CAA Radio and Gamecasts