Manga > Anime ?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby seaglass27 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:29 am

Avari Craven (post: 1495254) wrote:Alright so i believe that there are certain Mangas that are waaaaaaay better then their Anime counterparts.

Dude, the MegaMan NT Warrior manga owns the anime. The two aren't even comparable.
seaglass27

Postby Asuka Neko » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:29 am

Well, I'm just gonna jump in there and say that, even though I don't watch much anime, I tend to see the manga as the "original", and I don't like it when the anime deviates. I think it's like the way people get when they watch movies of books and the movie is much different than the book. I tend to read the manga first (and I really only watch the anime if someone convinces me to/I'm working on drawing something traditional, so I can watch anime and draw).

But what I have noticed about quite a few animes I've watched (X, Pandora Hearts, and Tsubasa, to name a few), there is less violence and content in the anime than there is in the manga. I like that about animes, but when it comes to manga where there really isn't any, I usually like the manga better. I guess it depends on the manga/anime, too. I LOVE the Pandora Hearts anime, possibly more than the manga, but I don't like the Tsubasa anime anywhere near as much as the manga, because a lot of my favorite parts weren't in it!

Everyone's opinion on this probably differs... but I like manga better.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:33 am

^ I agree with the Tsubasa thing. I read volume 4 (which is Jade Arc) and I was like "WHOA! This is DIFFERENT!" they cut out a lot of hilarious scenes, like how Sakura kept winning those card games even though she had no idea what she was doing XD!! And how Kurogane couldn't eat with a fork correctly, LOL. That was funny...
Though I heard in the Oto Arc, the manga had a drinking scene (which included Syaoran and Sakura drinking) but that wasn't in the anime. If that is true, I am SO GLAD that was cut... >.>
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:35 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1498126) wrote:Though I heard in the Oto Arc, the manga had a drinking scene (which included Syaoran and Sakura drinking) but that wasn't in the anime. If that is true, I am SO GLAD that was cut... >.>

Yes, that's true. Well, it's true that there was a scene like that, anyway... But it wasn't Syaoran, it was Fai and Sakura.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby seaglass27 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:39 pm

I think one of the main reasons manga tends to be better than anime is that manga can't be harmed by bad voice actors. That's just my two cents.
seaglass27

Postby Asuka Neko » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:54 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1498152) wrote:Yes, that's true. Well, it's true that there was a scene like that, anyway... But it wasn't Syaoran, it was Fai and Sakura.

Yup, it happened... but it was more like all three of them... plus Mokona. That was in Volume 6

Otaku Jordan (post: 1498172) wrote:I think one of the main reasons manga tends to be better than anime is that manga can't be harmed by bad voice actors. That's just my two cents.

That is so, SO true.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:49 am

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1498152) wrote:Yes, that's true. Well, it's true that there was a scene like that, anyway... But it wasn't Syaoran, it was Fai and Sakura.

Still, she's underage. XD!!

I swear I thought Syaoran did too because of the statement in the Infinity Arc when]
Kurogane offered "Syaoran" liquor, and he said something about "well the other me..." but then Kurogane was all like "I asked if you could drink it.[/spoiler]

Okay, BETTER GET BACK ON TOPIC!

I liked the statement about how manga isn't ruined by bad voice acting. I admit a lot of anime helps me to have voices to picture with, but if I don't agree with the voices, I could easily just imagine the voice actor I'd PREFER to have played such and such.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:28 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1499182) wrote:Still, she's underage. XD!!

According to whom? Remember, she's from another universe, and even cultures on Earth have different standards for drinking ages, ranging from when you can see over the bar to 21. And considering the world that they come from, it would not be a stretch to say that they might drink from a young age because there's a lack of clean water (something that is common in places that are water-poor or lack the resources to treat water, like in mideval Europe or, in modern times, various desert countries).

Also, that statement merely implies that the other Syaoran *could* drink, not that he did.

My two cents for the voice acting: Usually the voices I hear don't match the voices I have in my head for the characters. I usually prefer the voices I made up.

I actually don't care for the pacing that anime can take. Something that only took two panels can take two minutes to animate, and I'm not always fond of that for certain scenes. Of course, that doesn't mean manga can't linger unnecessarily on certain scenes, but it takes longer for me to watch those scenes than it does for me to skim over the pages.
Atria35

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:40 pm

IMO, most manga versions tend to be better than its anime counterpart. For instance, FMA, Kuroshitsuji and Black Cat are my prime examples. But some examples when the anime is better would be Madoka Magica and Darker than Black.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Here's a thought I just had: The reason pacing can sometimes seem off or worse in an anime when comparing it to the manga is that manga can move at whatever pace you like. It all just depends on how quickly or slowly you read the panels, how you interpret them to yourself. In animation, on the other hand, the pace is determined for you. You're told whether something is happening quickly or slowly. I've noticed that in certain scenes in FMA, for example, I read a panel of the manga where Ed is looking down thoughtfully, and I interpret that as him staying that way for quite a while before the next panel where he says something. Then I watch the equivalent scene in the anime, and he just looks down for a beat, then looks up again almost immediately and starts talking. It feels off to me, but just because I interpreted the original scene differently. Manga gives you that freedom, purely from the nature of the medium.

It's kind of like the difference between a piece of music and a piece of writing expressing the same emotion. One is more exact than the other.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Atria35 (post: 1499195) wrote:According to whom? Remember, she's from another universe, and even cultures on Earth have different standards for drinking ages, ranging from when you can see over the bar to 21. And considering the world that they come from, it would not be a stretch to say that they might drink from a young age because there's a lack of clean water (something that is common in places that are water-poor or lack the resources to treat water, like in mideval Europe or, in modern times, various desert countries).

Also, that statement merely implies that the other Syaoran *could* drink, not that he did.

That's true. And thanks for clearing that up!

back on subject....

I think the Ramen Fighter Miki (Muteki Kanban Masume) anime is better than the manga. I just bought volume one, and though it is funny, it felt like it was missing something. The anime seemed to be more hilarious, plus the character designs were better, as the manga looked a bit more rough. However, I admit in the manga, Miki could actually look really cute than compared to the anime. Though she also seems more sadistic in the manga, too. Plus, Kankuro doesn't end his sentences with "nya!" like he does in the anime, which is what I feel gave him a unique personality. Oh well...

AnimeGirl

Postby Avari Craven » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 pm

which Tsubasa? Tsubasa those with wings? or another one?
Avari Craven

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:55 am

Avari Craven (post: 1505014) wrote:which Tsubasa? Tsubasa those with wings? or another one?

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, by CLAMP. The crossover with xxxHolic.
Atria35

Re: Manga > Anime ?

Postby SierraLea » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:59 am

There are some animes that have such bad dubbed voices that I'd rather just read the books and imagine the scene. This especially applies to Naruto and Bleach. The Japanese voices are usually pretty good, but sometimes I can't find them where I usually look.
SierraLea

Postby EventualDay » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Hey :) I had a quick question... Hopefully this is the best thread to ask it.

I was hoping to jump on the Fullmetal Alchemist bandwagon, but became super conflicted when I started comparing reviews of manga versus anime. I know it seems to be a personal preference as to which is better, but I was just curious: are there strong opinions as to which is best to start with? (Assuming, hopefully, I'll eventually get to both.) Both at the same time seems a little overwhelming, but I'm not opposed if that's best. Suggestions? :)
EventualDay

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:23 am

Which Fullmetal Alchemist anime? There are two and they are quite different from each other.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby EventualDay » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:48 am

I don't know :) I think, since Brotherhood came out later, I was just assuming I wasn't supposed to start with it...
EventualDay

Postby goldenspines » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:29 am

Here's the lowdown on the 2 FMA anime and the manga.

When the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime was made, the manga was still ongoing and thus, like a lot of anime series, they had to either 1) Find a stopping point and wait for more material for a second season or 2) Create an original ending. The original FMA anime opted for the latter and thus things get a bit screwy towards the end of the series. A lot of fans were upset with this, especially once they found out how different it was from Arakawa's original intention for the characters.

Now, fast forward to the point where the manga is going to end soon, Bones (the animation studio that created the first FMA) decided that they were going to do a remake/reboot, thus we get Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. A "remake" of sorts, but one that follows the manga precisely unlike its predecessor.
So, in Brotherhood, you will get a lot of what was in the original FMA in the beginning, but their stories will be a lot different as time goes on.

Another important fact to realize about the two FMA anime is that the homunculus names will be different. The original anime messed up the names and created new non-existent homunculi, Whereas Brotherhood stuck to the manga and everything makes sense.

Now, as much as I can bash on the original anime, it did have its good points. It took a lot more time to develop characters and tell the story well (at least the story before they made up stuff). It tells the beginning part of the story extremely well (better than Brotherhood, which sort of rushed through it).

TL;DR Read the FMA manga and you're all set.
goldenspines

Postby skreyola » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:23 pm

So, since we're talking about FMA, I'll ask my question: I've read through volume 10 of the manga, and I've run out of local sources for the manga. Should I wait until I can get the rest of the manga before I start watching the anime, or is there a good place to stop, if I started watching one of the anime series? Or should I just watch the anime to get the rest of the story?
Any opinions?
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:10 am

If you started Brotherhood now I don't think you'd miss anything. I think you're already past the point where the original anime veered off.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby EventualDay » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:22 am

Thanks goldenspines, that clarifies a lot. I was under the impression that Brotherhood was more of a sequel season/series, made for the later parts of the manga, so I appreciate appreciate the info ^_^
EventualDay

Postby skreyola » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:35 pm

@mechana: Thank you. I guess I'll do that.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Rose Faerie » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:58 pm

I love the Orange manga with all my heart, but the anime just didn't do it for me for some reason. It follows the storyline very closely, but it didn't capture things the same way. It just felt... flat. I don't know why. It may have to do with the dub, which wasn't great (and I usually don't have problems with dubs). If I ever revisit it, I'll watch it subtitled.

The Promised Neverland manga is significantly better than the anime, for obvious reasons. (It actually has a decent storyline after the escape and doesn't horribly ruin all of the characters.) I also really liked how creepy it was, and how it was able to retain some of the horror elements even after losing the suspense involved in the first arc.

Fruits Basket is one that I'm torn on, but I'd probably pick the manga. I think I prefer the first season of the reboot to the manga (I think the anime does a better job with the comedy), while I think the drama of the second season was better executed in the manga. (I haven't read the part of the manga that is adapted in the final season yet.) Either way, it's still a favorite. If we're comparing it to the original anime, then yes, the manga is significantly better.

Sailor Moon, I'm also torn on. I genuinely believe the best way to experience the story is to read the manga, and then watch whatever episode of the 90's anime you want. That way you can get a hold on the lore and basic plot, all while experiencing the charm of the anime that made people fall in love with it, all while avoiding the worst of the filler. I do think Sailor Moon Eternal was a solid adaptation of the Dream Arc, though. From what I remember of Crystal it wasn't worth watching.

As for anime I prefer to the manga, I will have to say Demon Slayer. I will wholeheartedly admit that I mainly like the anime for the pretty art. It just makes me happy. I also feel like the anime is generally better executed, while the manga feels more rushed and awkwardly paced. Speaking of which, I need to get caught up with the anime and watch the Entertainment District arc.
Rose Faerie

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews