Shakespeare appreciation thread

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Shakespeare appreciation thread

Postby rocklobster » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:45 am

Shakespeare is probably the most timeless writer ever. So I want to see how many people on CAA are fans of him. Here's my favorites
1. Characters: Puck (Midsummer Night's Dream), Hamlet, Lady Macbeth, Viola (Twelfth Night), Miranda (The Tempest), and Kate (The Taming of the Shrew, mostly because she's such a delightful character)
2. Plays: Midsummer Night's Dream, Hamlet, Macbeth, Twelfth Night, The Tempest, The Taming of the Shrew, and Othello
3. Quote: "What fools these mortals be"--Puck in Midsummer Night's Dream and the entire "All the world's a stage" soliloquy from As You Like It.
So what about the rest of you?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby goldenspines » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:08 pm

I had read Macbeth and Julius Ceaser in high school, but never really liked any of Shakespeare's writings until reading Hamlet for a Theater class in college.

After that, I was sold and started reading/listening/watching as many of his plays I could find. I've only read a handful of his sonnets, sadly.

Characters (in no particular order): Hamlet (Hamlet), the three witches (what? They're amusing XDD; ) and Banquo (Macbeth), Rosalind (As You Like It), Beatrice (Much Ado About Nothing), and honestly, no matter what play I read, I usually find a character I like.
Plays: I honestly like all of them that I've read (which is only about 2/3. I think). I could have done without the teenage angst in Romeo and Juliet though. >_>;;
Quote: "Thus conscience does make cowards of us all." - Hamlet (Hamlet)
goldenspines

Postby broly146 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:28 pm

I don't know much about him except he was a great writer and made amazing plays.
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby Agloval » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:29 pm

My favourite is probably Troilus and Cressida. Unlike a lot of the other plays, it has serious competition treating the same story, which I think makes it feel more approachable. I haven't seen it peformed, though.

My favourite production is probably a very odd version of Hamlet, set inside a tragicomic farce frame about two mismatched teachers putting on a version of Hamlet for kids. (The audience stood in for the children.) It was gutbustingly funny and also very sad, both because Hamlet is a sad play and because the frame depicted the two teachers falling out with each other. And one of the teachers was going through a divorce at the time and kept having to break off to call his lawyer.

My favourite film adaption is the 1995 Richard III.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:35 pm

I'm not as well-versed in the works of Shakespeare as some people are. I enjoy Romeo and Juliet for what it is, and I liked the Baz Luhrmann film version of it just because it was such a trip. I really love Kenneth Branagh's film adaptation of Hamlet. Actually it was my first exposure to the play and it really made me love it.

I don't much care for reading Shakespeare's plays. They're meant to be seen, not read. One of these days I'll get around to watching some more film adaptations. I'd like to see some of them performed on the stage if I ever get a chance.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm in a Shakespeare class this semester. Went over quite a few plays.

So far, I have to say A Midsummer Night's Dream is my favorite. Playful and fun. Though Taming of the Shrew is also pretty good, as well as Titus Andronicus, and The Scottish Play (we aren't allowed to say the name of it in class. I have an awesomely quirky teacher from London).

Quote? "We are such stuff as dreams are made on" - The Tempest

My least favorite? Hamlet, though I suspect that has more to do with the production I saw (1980 BBC)- except for the performance of Patrick Stewart as Claudius. The play would have been ten times better if they cut out Hamlet entirely and just made the show about Patrick Stewart.

...and yeah, I read the play, too, before watching the show. Still didn't think it was that fantastic.
Atria35

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:17 pm

I'm in a Shakespeare class this semester. Went over quite a few plays.

Ditto. In fact, I have to finish my paper comparing "Forbidden Planet" and "The Tempest" by Moday. Joy, joy, joy.

I didn't know a lot about Shakespeare until this semester and even though I think he's overrated sometimes, his works have a very amazing depth to them. This semester, I read "Measure For Measure," "Macbeth," "Twelfth Night," "King Lear," "Othello," and "The Tempest." In high school, I read "Hamlet" and parts of "Romeo and Juliet," and on my own I read "A Midsummer Night's Dream." Overall, I enjoy Shakespeare's tragedies more than his comedies.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Agloval » Sun May 01, 2011 2:01 am

Atria35 (post: 1475637) wrote:Titus Andronicus

What in particular do you like about TA? I'm not saying it's unlikeable, it's more that when I hear about it it's usually just people marvelling at the level of violence. So it's nice to see it brought up as something other than a curiosity.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Kaori » Sun May 01, 2011 4:36 am

Favorites: Hamlet, Macbeth, and King Lear, followed closely by A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Merchant of Venice, and The Tempest.

Mild approbation: Julius Caesar, Twelfth Night, The Winter’s Tale, Othello, As You Like It

Became sick of it through overexposure: Romeo and Juliet (also, the premise irritates me)

Most hated: The Taming of the Shrew

Play I most want to read but haven’t yet: Richard III (the opening soliloquy is terrific)

Best stage direction: “Exit, pursued by a bear.â€
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:36 am

Agloval (post: 1475774) wrote:What in particular do you like about TA? I'm not saying it's unlikeable, it's more that when I hear about it it's usually just people marvelling at the level of violence. So it's nice to see it brought up as something other than a curiosity.

It's violent, yeah, but it's kind of like Saw for Elizabethian theater-goers. Except the victims are these wonderfully hardened characters that know exactly what they're doing and why they're doing it. I found it to be richer and have more depth than modern slasher films, and wish those films could be made like TA. I'd watch them (maybe) if they did that.
Atria35

Postby MadisonLee » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:38 pm

I think Romeo and Juliet will always be one of my favorite Shakespearean plays. I recently took the time out to understand some of the famous Romeo and Juliet quotes that have always evaded me by going through their explanations on Shmoop and I wish I had done it before. Here’s one I really like for its simplicity and depth:

ROMEO
O, let us hence; I stand on sudden haste.
FRIAR LAURENCE
Wisely and slow; they stumble that run fast.
(2.3.10)
MadisonLee

Return to Book Corner