Brian Jacques Dead at 71

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Brian Jacques Dead at 71

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:16 pm

I know we had a few Redwall fans in here, so I thought this'd be worth mentioning... Died on the 5th. I posted a tribute on the blog I write for.

http://kspaz13.blogspot.com/2011/02/brian-jacuqes-dead-at-age-71.html
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:26 pm

This man pretty much shaped my childhood.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:27 pm

This makes me incredibly sad. I loved this series when I was a kid, and now I will probably want to reread them.

Apparently the 22nd book in the series is going to be released later this year. I had no idea that he had continued to write these, but I am now excited to read them all.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:39 pm

*sad face* Ah, well. It was a good life.
Atria35

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:21 pm

This stung a little. I actually met this guy when I was a kid. He was a super dude.

Rest in peace Brian.
Fish and Chips

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:56 pm

He wrote great books. Redwall will live on!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1457721) wrote:This stung a little. I actually met this guy when I was a kid. He was a super dude.

Rest in peace Brian.

Wow, seriously? He was a huge inspiration to me as a kid. His writing got me through some serious hard spots.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:28 pm

I could never finish the first Redwall book, but this news is sad. :( I read an interview with him in the book The Wand in the Word (or was it The Wand and the word? it was a bunch of interviews with writers of fantasy) and he was interesting.

My condolences to his family. :(
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby DangoDaikazoku » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:50 am

No! I loved his books so much. This makes me so sad, he was one of my main ispirations, especially since I am an aspiring author. At least I can still hear his voice, forever recorded on the audio versions of Redwall series. A long life for a good man, maybe in his last moments he saw the Long Patrol marching off into the distance, with their cries of "Eulalia". What a brilliant author, he will be remembered for a long time yet.
Thank You For Your Time,
DangoDaikazoku
DangoDaikazoku

Postby ecojosh1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:20 pm

I wonder if the Redwall series is over or if another author will use his notes to continue his work, like Brandon Sanderson did with the Wheel of Time series.
ecojosh1

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:44 pm

That probably depends on whether or not the last Redwall book stands on its own. I think the first few did, but I don't know about later installments.

If each book is its own self-contained adventure, I don't think there is a good enough reason for the publisher (would it be the publisher?) to have another author pick up the series.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Return to Book Corner