Any Ted Dekker fans?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Any Ted Dekker fans?

Postby KougaHane » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm quite a fan of Ted Dekker, I've read all three of the Circle books, Saint, and I'm currently reading Showdown. I also read House, which he co-authored with another of my favorite authors, Frank Peretti.

Any other fans here?
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:32 pm

I'm sorry to say I'm not. While I do admire how popular he is, and he does write rather well, I'm of the "less is more" when it comes to the Christian imagery and themes. And his early books that you're reading are chock-full of them.

And since his works are thrillers, I probably won't be picking him up again anytime soon- they just aren't my type of story.
Atria35

Postby Okami » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:46 pm

He is one of my favorite authors. I've read the Circle Trilogy (Minus Green the Prequel - it hasn't been released in the style that I bought the trilogy in and I'm picky like that. :() as well as House, Thr3e, Boneman's Daughters, and Adam. I might be missing one, but those are the ones I can recall from the top of my head.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby eternalprincess » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:41 pm

I'm quite the fan of his work. :) Though, I do agree somewhat with Atria. House is my least favorite (though Peretti is another of my favorites!).

What are some of your favorite books by him?

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby Furen » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:07 pm

Yes, but I'm slow at reading his stuff
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:19 am

Yes, I'm huge fan of Ted Dekker's work. The first Dekker books I read were Thr3e and the Circle Trilogy - Black, Red, White. They're probably my favourites, along with The Bride Collector and the Paradise Trilogy - Showdown, Saint, Sinner and When Heaven Weeps (this one doesn't have the greatest villian and it has some padding but the redemption story is hugely powerful). His fiction isn't preachy (sorry Atria, compared to most other Christian fiction, he's not explicit) but his stories naturally exude his Christian worldview (some more than others). He isn't the best writer out there but he's a great storyteller. I've read all of Ted's works except Tea with Hezbollah, The Drummer Boy and The Promise.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:59 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1453545) wrote: His fiction isn't preachy (sorry Atria, compared to most other Christian fiction, he's not explicit) but his stories naturally exude his Christian worldview (some more than others).

I don't have a whole lot to compare to, since I haven't read that much Christian fiction, but the Christian fiction I've read was more understated in comparison. Of course, that does depend on the series (I've heard his later works are just like thrillers but with some Christianity thrown in), but I've read Brian Sanderson, who's works don't even mention Christianity- they're written like LoTR, with Christian-compliant themes.
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:10 am

I used to be a big fan, but my tastes have changed as I have gotten older. I read everything up to Boneman's Daughters, but I stopped after that.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby jsav777 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Yes, I love Ted Dekker Books! I've read the circle trilogy, the paradise novels, the lost books, house, adam, thr3e, obsessed, skin, and the boneman's daughters. I also read some of Tea with Hezbollah I especially love how all the books of history are intertwined. After I finished Green I was shocked to see the connection between the Circle, Paradise and Lost Books
jsav777

Return to Book Corner