Vampires that aren't Twilight

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Vampires that aren't Twilight

Postby Firebird3613 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:34 pm

So I've been trying to find a good vampire series that isn't Twilight. Any recommendations?
:hits_self <----This smilie made me laugh. I'm not really sure why...:lol:
Firebird3613

Location: I could be just a dream, in which case I don't live anywhere. ;)

Postby Kaori » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:01 am

It isn't a series, but here is my recommendation:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6087

Featuring a vampire who is creepy, devious, and inhumanly cruel.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:52 am

Kaori (post: 1398025) wrote:Featuring a vampire who is creepy, devious, and inhumanly cruel.

It's also the oldest vampire book published.

There's also Dracula (not a series, but still a good book).

One that I'm really fond of is the Sookie Stackhouse series, that starts with the book Dead Before Dawn. It was made into the TV series True Blood on HBO, but I prefer the books. It does have sexual content, but holds far truer to the traditional characteristics of vampires than Twilight does, and does it very well.

A series that was made for younger readers and therefore doesn't have the prevalent sexual content in the Sookie Stackhouse books are the Den of Shadows books by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, which starts with the book In The Forests of the Night. These are also very good- a little on the dramatic side, but really good.

And the you have Ann Rice, who became Queen of All Things Bloodsucking with her novel Interview With A Vampire. Heavy stuff occurs, but is also considered a go-to must-read for vampire fans.

Those are only the ones I've read. However, here's a link to a listing of many vampire series and books: http://www.vampirelibrary.com/lists/series.htm
Atria35

Postby Nate » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:57 am

That vampire library doesn't have I, Strahd listed.

They fail so hard. :l

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Adorima » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:13 am

Since Anne Rice was already mentioned, I really got nothing except for this single novel by Annette Curtis Klause called "The Silver Kiss." It's about Simon, a vampire who's trying to stop his older brother (although he was only turned into a vampire when he was very young) who is also a vampire albiet more powerful who has been going on a mindless killing spree for 300 years (if I remember right).

The main character - Zoe's mother has been dying from cancer for a few years and the main character is in a depression until she meets Simon and though she feels like she needs to take him under her wing (he looks like a homeless kid) she eventually falls in love with him. The rest of the book they work together to kill Simon's brother but the under-pinning lessons are about acceptance of goodbyes and death and living life to the fullest. It also has "a great subplot about going bad when you don't have to" as a reviewer on amazon put it.
Adorima

Postby Wyntre Rose » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Nate (post: 1398039) wrote:That vampire library doesn't have I, Strahd listed.

They fail so hard. :l

It also doesn't have Sunshine by Robin McKinley. *shakes head* Which is quite good, though be warned that there's a lot more objectionable content (read: sexual) than in any of her other works combined. But for a mature audience, it's very entertaining.
Wyntre Rose

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:28 pm

Two other excellent single shot stories, though both feature sexual contentat one point or another, are:

The Vampire Tapestry ~ Suzy McKee Charnas
Fevre Dream ~ George R.R. Martin

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Technomancer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:20 pm

I remember liking Fred Saberhagen's "Dracula Files". I'd also recommend Pratchett's "Carpe Jugulum", as well as Barbara Hambly's novels (only two, the first one being "Those Who Hunt the Night").

And the you have Ann Rice, who became Queen of All Things Bloodsucking with her novel Interview With A Vampire. Heavy stuff occurs, but is also considered a go-to must-read for vampire fans.

Eh.."The Vampire Lestat" was better in IMO.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:47 pm

Not a series, but I Am Legend was pretty rockin'. And no, it doesn't count if you've seen the movie.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Technomancer (post: 1399134) wrote:Eh.."The Vampire Lestat" was better in IMO.

I liked them both, but Interview is better known because of the movie.
Atria35

Postby yukoxholic » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Vampire Kisses Series by Ellen Schreiber. It's very teen-targeted but amusing enough to keep anyone's interest. It also isn't as convoluted as Twilight.

The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith, is also a nice read but if you're currently watching the show the books may disappoint you as it doesn't follow the show AT ALL. I used to read this series when I was younger and have since gone back to them when I'm on a "vampire book fix" the writing isn't astounding but the story is far better then the show in my opinion though I still think the show is awesome. XD
yukoxholic

Postby MightiMidget » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:30 am

I second Dracula, even though it's a standalone novel. It's my favorite book, and if you've ever seen Van Helsing? You'll be amused because Professor Van Helsing is actually a crazy old guy instead of...Hugh Jackman. :lol:
MightiMidget

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:55 am

I typically don't enjoy vampires but I loved these books:

Dracula - Bram Stoker
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
The Field of Blood - Eric Wilson
Haunt of the Jackals - Eric Wilson
Valley of Bones - Eric Wilson

These last three novels were influenced by passages from the Bible, Salem's Lot and Romanian history.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:03 am

MightiMidget (post: 1405448) wrote:I second Dracula, even though it's a standalone novel. It's my favorite book, and if you've ever seen Van Helsing? You'll be amused because Professor Van Helsing is actually a crazy old guy instead of...Hugh Jackman. :lol:

LOLOLOLOL :lol::thumb:
The novel's Van Helsing is awesome. I'd read the book just for him!
Atria35

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:00 pm

13 bullets is a very good if very dark horror vampire book. It is part of a series as well, it goes 13 bullets, 99 coffins and Vampire zero
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:03 pm

I don't have any ideas but this is a relevant gag.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/strips/mallard/2000/MFT20100717.jpg
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Return to Book Corner