Thirsting for Blood series

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Thirsting for Blood series

Postby SeraphicCharm » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:25 pm

My favorite books EVER! (Besides the Bible, of course!) These books, written by Sue Dent, are best described as a Christian alternative to the Twilight books. So far the series includes Never Ceese and Forever Richard. (The third book, Cyn No More, will be coming out...soon, I hope? ;) )

Anybody else read 'em? Tell me what you think!
SeraphicCharm

Postby RainbowSounds » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:35 pm

I haven't read them, but they sound interesting. What are they about?
RainbowSounds

Postby sdent1 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:13 am

*Sue jumps around* Me, me! I'll tell you what they're about. A vampire and a werewolf who seek to have their curses removed so they are free to have a choice about where they spend eternity.

Never Ceese is book one (and please only purchase the paperback as the publisher of the hardback went under and I make no money off those) and was short-listed for a Bram Stoker Award in 2007. It made the finals of the 2009 Pluto Award also.

Forever Richard is the sequel which of course picks up where Never Ceese left off. The British Fantasy Society gave it a book blurb and a grand review which you can see with other grand reviews on Amazon or at http://www.suedent.blogspot.com. I've garnished MANY fans from the Christian market because . . . well, as a Christian I'm quite respectful of that worldview but I'm not affiliated with those publishers who write for the standard "Christian" publishing industry so I don't get the perk of being in larger Christian bookstores or even the Christian section of larger bookstores. Never Ceese is now published by S D enterprises which is me and Forever Richard is published through The Writers' Cafe Press a mid-range Indie publisher. Both books can be ordered anywhere but because we're both smaller publishers, we can't afford to ask bookstores to carry it on their shelves.

And to the starter of this thread (hee hee) You work fast!

Love ya,
Sue Dent
sdent1

Postby Desert Rose » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:34 pm

The books are good...I think it would make pretty good anime or manga. Richard would a good Bishie! XD
[color="DarkOliveGreen"] My fan fiction ~

[/color] http://www.fanfiction.net/u/10081/
Desert Rose

Postby SeraphicCharm » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:06 pm

sdent1 (post: 1377461) wrote:And to the starter of this thread (hee hee) You work fast!

Haha, I promise, and I deliver!

@ Rose-- Richard would probably be one of the best bishies out there!!!! A manga (and then anime, of course!) version would turn out beautifully, if we got the right people to do it. I attempted an anime version of Richard once, but it didn't turn out to be so bishie-like...just kinda feminine. Oh well! Let's hope someone hears our pleas for creativity!!!
SeraphicCharm

Postby sdent1 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:56 pm

*Sue waves at Desert Rose*
sdent1

Postby RainbowSounds » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:56 pm

Cool :) I'll be sure to read them when I get the chance.
RainbowSounds

Postby Desert Rose » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:16 pm

sdent1 (post: 1377641) wrote:*Sue waves at Desert Rose*

*waves back* XD
[color="DarkOliveGreen"] My fan fiction ~

[/color] http://www.fanfiction.net/u/10081/
Desert Rose

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:49 pm

Hmm interesting...might have to check this out! I liked the Twilight books but maybe these will be even better especially since its a Christian alternative to those :)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby SeraphicCharm » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:45 pm

ChristianKitsune (post: 1384456) wrote:Hmm interesting...might have to check this out! I liked the Twilight books but maybe these will be even better especially since its a Christian alternative to those :)

Yeah, the concept is different from the Twilight series (not as much romantic involvement), but that's not to say there's no romance at all. *hint hint* ^_^
SeraphicCharm

Postby Esoteric » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:28 pm

I read Never Ceese. I liked the characters and found the premise interesting, but (no offense Sue) I'm one of those readers who hates it when a book ends with obvious sequel baiting--when the last chapter comes, everything is just about wrapped up and then, (dun dun dun!) new developments are revealed! From a marketing standpoint, I understand the logic in this tactic, but honestly I'm more likely to pick up the second volume of a series if the first one proved it can start and finish a good story with 'no strings attached'. Inkheart did a similar thing and I almost felt tricked or manipulated by it, so I didn't read anymore.

Regardless, I commend your valiant efforts and success as a writer so far. You've gotten your work published and out there, which is probably farther than I'll ever get with my writing endeavors.
Esoteric

Postby sdent1 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:22 pm

Sorry about the mild cliff-hanger. Had to be done. As a new novelist, a writer is held to a word count. There was more story left and I had to make certain readers would hang around for the rest wilst proving I could write inside the acceptable word count.

Most series end like this and there are advocates for this type of ending just as there are those that don't like them so much. Don't read Forever Richard if you don't like this sort of ending though. Much more of the same. . . only BETTER!!! Yep, that's right. No small published author can get out there with all the money large publishers have to "promote" their authors. Yet we're at the mercy of the same reviewers. Not griping--just saying.

As far as getting out there without the powerhouse publishers helping, I'd say I've done okay. Forever Richard is currently up for a 2010 British Fantasy Award. Never Ceese was short-listed for a Bram Stoker award its first year out and both were up for a 2009 Pluto Award with Never Ceese moving on to the finals. That about sums it up for me! ;)

Now to keep things moving. Not easy, I can tell you that.
sdent1

Return to Book Corner