Doctor Who Fans?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Doctor Who Fans?

Postby acgifford » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:31 am

Any Whoies out there? I love Doctor who. I was just wondering if anyone else knows about or loves this like me? If not I highly recomend it for Sci-fi fans. Anyone?:grin:
[color="Lime"]"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda[/color]
[color="DarkOrange"]Psalm32: 1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.[/color]
Proud member of MOES!! You better believe I have no scrolling.^_~
[color="Blue"]Doctor Who fan!! [/color]:jump:
[color="Yellow"]"Dare to read, think, speak and write." John Adams[/color]
[color="Pink"]Proud Member of the SisterHoos! ^^[/color]
[color="Red"]Vash the Stampede: I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds.[/color]
acgifford

Postby TGJesusfreak » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:59 am

Meez Likez It!!!
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm a fan, forsooth. I never knew the original, but I'm a fan of the newer ones (which I always refer to as the revival). Although I have some reservations about the overall quality (plots seem badly constructed at times) I generally love their whimsical feel and the acting and dialogue.

And beware the weeping angels.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:42 pm

My cousin roped me into it, and I've seen a few episodes featuring the Tenth Doctor (especially "Blink," "The End of Time"). I'm liking what I'm seeing. (Personally, though, I think my cousin watches it for Doctor 10, who she has a crush on or something. We'll see where her fandom goes when Doctor 11 takes charge.)

The End of Time, though. Wow. The Master really stole the show in that one, by being scary, awesome and hilarious at the same time.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby acgifford » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:47 pm

"Blink" in my opinion, was th most scary Doctor Who I have ever seen.*shudders*
acgifford

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Moved to General Entertainment.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby rocklobster » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:14 pm

I used to like Dr. Who, up until the Sci-fi channel revived it. I've avoided it because usually Sci-fi doesn't seem to know what it's doing when it comes to series. OK, so they got it right with Farscape. I said USUALLY!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:12 pm

Definitely a fan, though more of a recent one. My room mates have been fans for years, spanning whos of all decades. It's finally started to infect me as well. Definitely looking forward to the new doctor. He looks a little young (but then they generally look progressively younger) but the new companion is cute.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby goldenspines » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:26 pm

I enjoy the show. In fact, it's the only sci-fi show I care to watch and would consider myself a "fan of".
My love of Doctor Who started with Ten and went backwards until I learned to like every one the past doctors, in a different way for each. But Ten will forever be "my doctor."

The eleventh doctor looks promising though (even though I've only seen 2 minutes of him on screen as the doctor), though I worry about the future stories more than anything. Don't get me wrong, Steven Moffat is a brilliant writer of sci-fi stories, though I worry if the show will still maintain it's historical genre side (i.e. Somehow a man riding around space in a little blue box crosses paths world history and no one really records it in history books XD). Granted, Moffat did write "Girl in the Fireplace"(which was set in historical France, er, sorta), but seeing a majority of his work, I will be sad to see only pure sci-fi from Doctor Who and not much history mixed in. 8(
But hey, I'm willing to be surprised, so bring it on, Eleven.

Also, Etoh, I must disagree with you on his new companion. Her fashion consultant also needs to be fired.
goldenspines

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:43 pm

rocklobster (post: 1371552) wrote:I used to like Dr. Who, up until the Sci-fi channel revived it. I've avoided it because usually Sci-fi doesn't seem to know what it's doing when it comes to series. OK, so they got it right with Farscape. I said USUALLY!

Sci-Fi only shows it, but they have no say in it. It is the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation), who created the original show, who is behind the revival. Does that change anything?

Edit: Also, about Steve Moffat, he's not going to be the sole writer but just the guy who overseas it (and naturally he will pen some episodes). I think the show will still have its historical side as well since he should appreciate that as a Doctor Who fan.

As for writers, I hope they bring back Paul Cornell, who wrote Father's Day and the two-parter Human Nature / Family of Blood for season 3. He's the only one of the Doctor Who writers who is a Christian (though slightly liberal in his slant) and he's a fine writer too who wrote many Doctor Who novels in the 90's, so he's a good choice.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Me!! I love Doctor Who! Like Goldie, my fangirling started with the new series, however, I liked it when the 9th doctor was still around. Haven't been fortunate enough to see many of the old ones, but maybe eventually I can come to love them all (in their own deserving ways).
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby goldenspines » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:38 am

bigsleepj (post: 1371680) wrote: Edit: Also, about Steve Moffat, he's not going to be the sole writer but just the guy who overseas it (and naturally he will pen some episodes). I think the show will still have its historical side as well since he should appreciate that as a Doctor Who fan.

As for writers, I hope they bring back Paul Cornell, who wrote Father's Day and the two-parter Human Nature / Family of Blood for season 3. He's the only one of the Doctor Who writers who is a Christian (though slightly liberal in his slant) and he's a fine writer too who wrote many Doctor Who novels in the 90's, so he's a good choice.

Hmm, that does put a bit of a change in my view. I was going to give Eleven's series a watch anyways, but this gives me more hope for the future.

Also, I suppose this would be a bad time to mentioned that Human Nature/Family of Blood are low on my enjoyed episode list? XD] Father's Day[/I]. Therefore, I hope they will bring Paul Cornell back to write a few episodes as well.
Novels, you say? I will have to look into this.
goldenspines

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:38 am

Oh man. Human Nature/Family of Blood was one of my favorites!! I'm not much of a Martha fan, but I loved those episodes. But yeah... As it was explained to me, the Who writing process works often this way: Fans send in plot ideas (For example, the Daleks were invented by a fan who still receives royalties every time they're in an episode), and they get a writer or group of writers to do an episode for it. Now, depending on who the head writer is, the overall season will have a general theme (For example, the guy who wrote all the lovey dovey episodes in the first couple seasons became head writer for Martha thus why she absolutely had to have a ridiculous school-girl crush on him) but he is never the sole writer of the season.

The cool thing about Moffat taking on head writership for this season is that he is (as I recall) the one who wrote most of the scarier episodes, so we might be getting a bit more of a horror vibe.

Edit: ALSO! Neil Gaiman is supposed to be writing an episode this season, I think!
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:10 am

goldenspines (post: 1371761) wrote:Also, I suppose this would be a bad time to mentioned that Human Nature/Family of Blood are low on my enjoyed episode list? XD]

They're some of the best episodes of the revival, but "best" does not necessarily mean "fun" in this case. ;) :P

Unfortunately, Paul Cornell is currently writing for Marvel now, so who knows when we'll see him enter the Whoverse again?

Edit: ALSO! Neil Gaiman is supposed to be writing an episode this season, I think!

Edit: I'll believe it when I see it! The episode, that is.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:18 am

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1371769) wrote:(For example, the Daleks were invented by a fan who still receives royalties every time they're in an episode)

That's not really true, sorry. I'm going to get pedantic here for a change. There are examples where fans get to create monsters with the help of BBC programs like Blue Peter, a children's TV show that ran for close to fifty years, but the Daleks precede that initiative. The guy who created the Daleks was a fellow named Terry Nation who was a writer for the BBC and who also wrote and created several other British science fiction TV shows (most noteably Blake's 7), but who also contributed to McGuyver. He was a professional writer and part of the staff and created the Daleks as villains in the second serial /arc of the original series.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby battletech » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:24 am

My grandma loved that show. She is the one who got me watching it on PBS when I was like 9. My favorite is the 4th Doctor Tom Baker. I cannot wait for the 11th doctor to start this spring.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 am

bigsleepj (post: 1371801) wrote:That's not really true, sorry. I'm going to get pedantic here for a change. There are examples where fans get to create monsters with the help of BBC programs like Blue Peter, a children's TV show that ran for close to fifty years, but the Daleks precede that initiative. The guy who created the Daleks was a fellow named Terry Nation who was a writer for the BBC and who also wrote and created several other British science fiction TV shows (most noteably Blake's 7), but who also contributed to McGuyver. He was a professional writer and part of the staff and created the Daleks as villains in the second serial /arc of the original series.

Ah, apologies. I'd thought it was part of that initiative. Still, I believe that Adric was a viewer creation wasn't he?
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:40 pm

I wouldn't know. I'm not that up on Doctor Who history. But I can vouch for the Abzorbaloff from season 2 of the revival, which was designed by a 10 year old boy.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:46 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1371850) wrote:I wouldn't know. I'm not that up on Doctor Who history. But I can vouch for the Abzorbaloff from season 2 of the revival, which was designed by a 10 year old boy.

That was simultaneously one of the funniest and saddest episodes for me...
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:30 pm

It was a great episode up until they revealed the monster, the Abzorbaloff - from there it went down hill for me. I just didn't "buy" the monster. But it still is a good episode otherwise.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Yeah, the Abzorbaloff looked too much like the 'big' man from Little Britain (a horrible, stupid comedy show). I'm waiting for Tenant's finale and then the new Doctor. I'm not convinced but hopefully he surpasses fan's fears.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:54 pm

I love Doctor Who, though I started with the 9th Doctor...so I'm a newbie, I saw one or two Tom Baker episodes though and loved him. B) Tennant is amazing though, and I have to say is probably my favorite actor. Matt Smith....er uh...not...looking forward to him...
MightiMidget

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:11 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1371940) wrote:Yeah, the Abzorbaloff looked too much like the 'big' man from Little Britain (a horrible, stupid comedy show). I'm waiting for Tenant's finale and then the new Doctor. I'm not convinced but hopefully he surpasses fan's fears.

Well the movie where Tenant steps down has already aired and we get two minutes of the new guy. They're not bad, but obviously too little to judge by.

As for suspension of disbelief with the Abzorbaloff, well... lol I was exposed to some pretty silly monsters by the show, and he was one of the more believable ones comparably. I've just come to expect that some of the show's creatures are gonna be pretty ridiculous and the episode's big bad was obviously supposed to be kind of a joke.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Not everyone on the Net lives in the US. The double episode finale where Tennant steps down hasn't aired quite yet in my part of the world - Australia.
I suppose the Abzorbaloff is fairly believable in comparison to other Who monsters but it's more awkward than anything else.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:00 pm

They haven't aired in the US to my knowledge.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:51 pm

I just recently got into Doctor Who. It's kinda hard to pick a favorite, but for me it's between Jon Pertwee and Peter Davidson.

My favorite companion is Ace, from the Sylvester McCoy years. Of all the most well-written companion characters, she's the least annoying. Plus in "Ghost Light" she looked absolutely beautiful in that Victorian dress.
The award for Most Obnoxious Twit goes to Turlough. He's devious, whiny, cowardly, and just unlikeable.

As for the newer stuff, I've seen a few Fourth Series episodes, which I found in the library. Not bad, but the episodic story form (as opposed to an arc spread over multiple episodes) proves a bit restrictive. The stories are not given time to be as good as they could be.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby acgifford » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:53 am

I am also pretty new to Doctor Who. My dad got me into it. While he was searching for the old Doctor Who to download he found the new one and so we began watching ever since the 9nth Doctor. Although I have seen the first few episodes of the first Doctor Who. Love the show. Simply love it.
acgifford

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:22 am

bigsleepj (post: 1371798) wrote:Edit: I'll believe it when I see it! The episode, that is.

By the by...
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Davidizer13 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:25 am

I saw The Doctor's Daughter last night, which is one of the Tenth's episodes. It was pretty good. Basically, our hero ends up on some post-apocalyptic planet with Martha and Donna in tow, and accidentally builds a clone with his DNA, resulting in a human-Time Lord hybrid. Then they get caught up in a war between cloned humans and cloned dolphin-people. Things get more interesting from there.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby goldenspines » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:22 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1372267) wrote:By the by...

O_O
How interesting. I'll be looking for this in the future series.

@David: Yeah, they are currently showing the fourth series(of the relaunch) in the States now. The next episode is even better. :3
goldenspines

Next

Return to General Entertainment