What four-letter word best describes you?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon May 18, 2009 11:01 am

What I love most about the MBTI is the Cognitive Functional Analysis that applies to each personality type. http://typelogic.com/ is a GREAT tool for a helpful rundown of these.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/index.html Is also a very helpful website that outlines each function.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon May 18, 2009 11:39 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1312776) wrote:What I love most about the MBTI is the Cognitive Functional Analysis that applies to each personality type. http://typelogic.com/ is a GREAT tool for a helpful rundown of these.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/index.html Is also a very helpful website that outlines each function.

Hurm. Your second link does not seem to work.

Anyways, the information in your first link seems to be about 50% accurate in describing me. (as an INTJ) I don't expect it to be 100% accurate, but I would generally expect it to be better than it is.

The pieces that are accurate are spot-on, though.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby blkmage » Mon May 18, 2009 11:54 am

That INTJ manual is fantastic.
blkmage

Postby Tancos » Mon May 18, 2009 12:56 pm

INTJ, or if you prefer the Enneagram, a Type 5.
Tancos

Postby GeneD » Mon May 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Your Type is
ISTJ
Introverted: 78
Sensing: 1
Thinking: 75
Judging: 78

You are:
very expressed introvert
slightly expressed sensing personality
distinctively expressed thinking personality
very expressed judging personality
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby -Frail-Dreams- » Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 pm

I am am INTJ.
I forgot what the numbers were, and I'm too lazy to retake it...but it does describe me. ^_^
(\(\
(^_^)
(_(")(")
This rabbit is "Bread", he is called "Bread", because he is a bun-ny.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
I love Jesus more than anything else. W00t!
I agree with Lady Kenshin, it is okay to be a fanfiction author.
-Frail-Dreams-

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon May 18, 2009 8:37 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1312786) wrote:Hurm. Your second link does not seem to work.

Anyways, the information in your first link seems to be about 50% accurate in describing me. (as an INTJ) I don't expect it to be 100% accurate, but I would generally expect it to be better than it is.

The pieces that are accurate are spot-on, though.

Drat... and it was such a great resource too...
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby shooraijin » Mon May 18, 2009 9:16 pm

INTJ 5w6.

I should add that for many years I tested as an ENFJ, which is a rather sudden switch, but I actually have a good idea when that occurred.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon May 18, 2009 9:39 pm

I feel completely vindicated. XDDD

Q: Why does my INTJ keep correcting my grammar?

A: Probably because you are being grammatically incorrect. The next time you tell your INTJ that you’re going to “try and [do something]”, prepare to get slapped. It’s “try to”, not “try and”. And there’s no such word as “irregardless”. Words have specific meanings, and language has specific rules; please abide by them. And don’t even get us started on your contextually ambiguous use of pronouns.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby LadyRushia » Tue May 19, 2009 5:10 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1313075) wrote:I feel completely vindicated. XDDD

Corrie, your life suddenly has meaning and purpose.

Although I'd like to point out that most English majors feels the same way, XD.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue May 19, 2009 5:23 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1313075) wrote:I feel completely vindicated. XDDD

The NP (aka Extroverted Intuition) inside of me says that grammar is totally arbitrary because it's only defined by fallible human beings.

So why abide by them? It's like sheet and comforters. Why do we have to use both? Cause our own fallible society has dictated it as such?

It's nothing but an OPPRESSIVE POWER THAT IS TRYING TO CONTROL US. Who said that sheet and comforter is the "correct" way to do things? Why can't I just do things my way without being seen weird? I hate sheets! But noooooo, the norm is to do it this way, so therefore it's right! It's nothing but circular logic! They're "right" because they're "right".

Norms are all but social constructs.

Society is dumb.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue May 19, 2009 5:41 am

Standards make society run better! How can party A know what party B is trying to communicate if it's not part of the standard?
Good luck trying to have your computer connect to a network if it doesn't adhere to the protocol standards...

(The Introverted Thinker inside me thinks I am right.)

Also, I wish the ISTJs had a cool manual like that...
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Crafter Artisian

Postby Paul » Tue May 19, 2009 7:41 am

Well, I turned out an odd-ball, but it describes me. I do like to build and like adventure. It's strange though because I also love to write and draw which makes me a composer type.

So There's mine.
"You heart is free. Have the courage to follow it." -Malcom Wallace. (Braveheart)
Paul

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 19, 2009 1:50 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:The NP (aka Extroverted Intuition) inside of me says that grammar is totally arbitrary because it's only defined by fallible human beings.

So why abide by them? It's like sheet and comforters. Why do we have to use both? Cause our own fallible society has dictated it as such?

It's nothing but an OPPRESSIVE POWER THAT IS TRYING TO CONTROL US. Who said that sheet and comforter is the "correct" way to do things? Why can't I just do things my way without being seen weird? I hate sheets! But noooooo, the norm is to do it this way, so therefore it's right! It's nothing but circular logic! They're "right" because they're "right".

Norms are all but social constructs.

Society is dumb.

The function of language itself is to communicate with others. For that purpose, a socially accepted standard is absolutely necessary. Grammar and spelling are integral to meaningful communication, because without them there is no rules to govern the reception of thoughts, merely everyone speaking and communicating nothing.

Are grammar rules absolute? Hardly, and they've changed a great deal over time. I don't think there's any reason why we couldn't adopt "their" as a singular, giving English a much needed gender neutral. But in the interest of speaking and being understood, it is helpful to conform to given standards of acceptability.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue May 19, 2009 2:03 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1313215) wrote:The function of language itself is to communicate with others. For that purpose, a socially accepted standard is absolutely necessary. Grammar and spelling are integral to meaningful communication, because without them there is no rules to govern the reception of thoughts, merely everyone speaking and communicating nothing.

Are grammar rules absolute? Hardly, and they've changed a great deal over time. I don't think there's any reason why we couldn't adopt "their" as a singular, giving English a much needed gender neutral. But in the interest of speaking and being understood, it is helpful to conform to given standards of acceptability.

Oh I certainly don't disagree. However, what you and W4J say are very J-explanations to things. I as an NP am fully aware of this, but often times when I ask questions I automatically throw out rationality out the window.

Here's a better example, which is a good outline of the differences between an NP and a J:

I was sitting in the car with my friend and there was some heat lighting in the sky. I pose the scenario: "Imagine that you're just floating in the sky and all the sudden you get hit by heat lightning. What would happen?"

My J friends replied back to me "Ryan, WHY would you be floating in the sky at all? That's like... stupid".

Of course in my mind I disassociated reality and rationality for the sake of the hypothetical scenario. I (and often many other NPs) tend to do this quite frequently. Why? Because NPs look for "possibilities". While NPs have a strong "Extroverted Intuition" function, NJs have the "Introverted Intuition" function. Likewise, A J is extroverted in their feeling/thinking, whereas a P is introverted in their feeling/thinking. They kinda reverse the roles, so to speak.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue May 19, 2009 2:37 pm

I'll give an explanation to the breakdown of these functions and why some types follow certain traits. My previous post seems cluttered, so I'm double posting to avoid clutter of information. This is going to be long (And yes. I am absolutely in love with the MBTI and I analyze everything through this line of thinking XD) If you're not interested, then just scroll away from this big block of text. XD

This is all according to Isabelle Meyers, who based her theory off of Carl Jung's theory.
Our first letters are I or E.
I: Introversion - I get our energy and generally prefer to be alone. Being with people too long can begin to frustrate me.
E: Extroversion - I get my energy from being around with people. Too much quiet time bugs me.

Our second letters are S and N.
S: Sensing - We gather information and data that we can make clear with our senses. Hear, touch, feel, sight, smell. We tend to be more noticeable of our surroundings.
N: Intuitive - We gather information that is conceptual and mostly processed mentally.

Our third letters are T and F
T: Thinking - We make decisions based off of rational thought.
F: Feeling - We make decisions based off of emotion.

Our fourth letters are P and J. These descriptions are not what define Ps and Js, but these are a result of how they operate.
P: Perceiving - Extroverted in our S and N. Introverted in our T and F. More laid back, less organized, spontaneous.
J: Judging - Introverted in our S and N. Extroverted in our T and F. More orderly, structured, scheduled, and a planner.

Now each of these letters combined determine what our Cognitive Functional Analysis makeup is. Our functional analysis are the four functions that we have which make up our personality. Let's use me for an example.

I generally classify as an ENFP (sometimes INFP). For now we'll use ENFP. Now since I am an E, my first (Dominant) function is Extroverted. If I were using INFP, then my first function would be Introverted. But it doesn't end there.

Now, remember that P and J determine if our N/S or T/F are extroverted or introverted. Since I am a P, my N-function is extroverted. Since I am also Extroverted (E___), my first (Dominant) function is as follows:

EN - Extroverted Intuition

Now onto the second function. In any personality type, the Extrovertedness/Introvertedness in the functional analysis go back and forth. If my dominant function is Introverted, then my Second (Auxiliary) function is Extroverted. Likewise, if my Dominant function is first Extroverted, then my Auxiliary function is Introverted.

Also remember when I said P made me Extroverted Intuitive? That means my Feeling function is Introverted. So now we have the following:

First: Extroverted Intuition
Second: Introverted Feeling

Note, if I were typing out an INFP, then the first and second functions would be swapped, since I's have their dominant function as Introverted.

The third function is our Tertiary function. Easy rule of thumb is to reverse our Second function:

Third: Extroverted Thinking

Fourth and last is our Inferior function. Basically it's what we're bad at or want to aspire for. Easy rule of thumb is that our fourth function is the reverse of our first function.

Fourth: Introverted Sensing.

Abbreviated, it goes as such:
EN
IF
ET
IS.

Let's use all the INTJs in this forum as an example. J means their N-Function is Introverted this time. Meaning their T-function is extroverted. I means their first function will start with an I, so we have this so far:

First: Introverted
Second: Extroverted
Third: Introverted
Fourth: Extroverted

J means their Thinking function is extroverted and their iNtuition function is introverted. So let's add those in

First: Introverted Intuition
Second: Extroverted Thinking

Third is basically a reverse of the second, and fourth is a reverse of the first. So we have the following:

Third: Introverted Feeling
Fourth: Extroverted Sensing

Now if an INTJ is this, what about an ENTJ? Well then we just switch first with second and third with fourth.

First: Extroverted Thinking
Second: Introverted Intuition
Third: Extroverted Sensing
Fourth: Introverted Feeling

Now what do these mean individually? Well I had a great source for that, but the website is down. =( Luckily I found another site that explains them in minor detail (They reverse the letters though, meaning ES is Se on the website)

http://www.16types.com/Request.jsp?rView=DynamicPage&Content=CognitiveProcesses

Now as for me, let's look at my functions for a bit.

Let's stop right here. Extroverted Intuition means "Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change “what is” for “what could possibly be”; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts."

Introverted Feeling means "Valuing; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for." I would go further and say that IFs look through everything with a rose-colored lens. Their whole perception of their reality is an emotional experience, even if to the slightest degree.

Combine Extroverted Intuition (imagine an incredibly curious child that always asked "why" to everything) with someone with an inner "Princess". Now imagine a person like this who desires something greatly.

You get someone who is incredibly fantasy and dream-oriented in what they want. Maybe it's the ideal marriage partner. In that case, an NFP (EN + IF) tend to overly fantasize about this person. Melancholy images of mutual satisfaction and happiness. This is the NFP (More predominant with the INFP. Why? Because their IF function is above their EN function).

And I say this from my own personal experience.

So yes, I could go even further but I'd probably be taking a lot of room. XD But this is why certain personality traits are good at certain things (Like SFJs are good at reading body language. Why? Well, you think about that one =p).
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue May 19, 2009 3:40 pm

[quote="Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1313295)"]I'll give an explanation to the breakdown of these functions and why some types follow certain traits. My previous post seems cluttered, so I'm double posting to avoid clutter of information. This is going to be long (And yes. I am absolutely in love with the MBTI and I analyze everything through this line of thinking XD)

This is all according to Isabelle Meyers, who based her theory off of Carl Jung's theory.
Our first letters are I or E.
I: Introversion - I get our energy and generally prefer to be alone. Being with people too long can begin to frustrate me.
E: Extroversion - I get my energy from being around with people. Too much quiet time bugs me.

Our second letters are S and N.
S: Sensing - We gather information and data that we can make clear with our senses. Hear, touch, feel, sight, smell. We tend to be more noticeable of our surroundings.
N: Intuitive - We gather information that is conceptual and mostly processed mentally.

Our third letters are T and F

Our fourth letters are P and J. These descriptions are not what define Ps and Js, but these are a result of how they operate.
P: Perceiving - Extroverted in our S and N. Introverted in our T and F. More laid back, less organized, spontaneous.
J: Judging - Introverted in our S and N. Extroverted in our T and F. More orderly, structured, scheduled, and a planner.

Now each of these letters combined determine what our Cognitive Functional Analysis makeup is. Our functional analysis are the four functions that we have which make up our personality. Let's use me for an example.

I generally classify as an ENFP (sometimes INFP). For now we'll use ENFP. Now since I am an E, my first (Dominant) function is Extroverted. If I were using INFP, then my first function would be Introverted. But it doesn't end there.

Now, remember that P and J determine if our N/S or T/F are extroverted or introverted. Since I am a P, my N-function is extroverted. Since I am also Extroverted (E___), my first (Dominant) function is as follows:

EN - Extroverted Intuition

Now onto the second function. In any personality type, the Extrovertedness/Introvertedness in the functional analysis go back and forth. If my dominant function is Introverted, then my Second (Auxiliary) function is Extroverted. Likewise, if my Dominant function is first Extroverted, then my Auxiliary function is Introverted.

Also remember when I said P made me Extroverted Intuitive? That means my Feeling function is Introverted. So now we have the following:

Note, if I were typing out an INFP, then the first and second functions would be swapped, since I's have their dominant function as Introverted.

The third function is our Tertiary function. Easy rule of thumb is to reverse our Second function:

Fourth and last is our Inferior function. Basically it's what we're bad at or want to aspire for. Easy rule of thumb is that our fourth function is the reverse of our first function.

Fourth: Introverted Sensing.

Abbreviated, it goes as such:
EN
IF
ET
IS.

Let's use all the INTJs in this forum as an example. J means their N-Function is Introverted this time. Meaning their T-function is extroverted. I means their first function will start with an I, so we have this so far:

First: Introverted
Second: Extroverted

J means their Thinking function is extroverted and their iNtuition function is introverted. So let's add those in

Third is basically a reverse of the second, and fourth is a reverse of the first. So we have the following:

Third: Introverted Feeling
Fourth: Extroverted Sensing

Now if an INTJ is this, what about an ENTJ? Well then we just switch first with second and third with fourth.

First: Extroverted Thinking
Second: Introverted Intuition
Third: Extroverted Sensing
Fourth: Introverted Feeling

Now what do these mean individually? Well I had a great source for that, but the website is down. =( Luckily I found another site that explains them in minor detail (They reverse the letters though, meaning ES is Se on the website)

http://www.16types.com/Request.jsp?rView=DynamicPage&Content=CognitiveProcesses

Now as for me, let's look at my functions for a bit.

Let's stop right here. Extroverted Intuition means "Interpreting situations and relationships]

This post also has a four-letter personality. It is called TLDR.

XDD <3
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue May 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Of all people to make a grammatical error!

It's not TLDR, it's TL;DR!

<3
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Tereya » Tue May 19, 2009 9:44 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1313295) wrote:Our third letters are T and F

If I may, I'd like to (hopefully) clarify a bit on this point.

I don't think it's so much that Thinkers make decisions based on rational thought and Feelers make decisions based on emotion, as it is that they each use different criteria to draw conclusions about a given situation.

Thinkers are more likely to make a decision based on objective standards or principles, whereas Feelers tend to place more emphasis on the subjective circumstances surrounding a situation. For example, say a certain professor was grading an essay handed in by one of their students. If they were a Thinker, they'd be more likely to grade the essay based on objective criteria, such as a rubric or otherwise predefined set of requirements. A Feeler would be more likely to deduct or award points based on the amount of time and care a student put into the essay even though they might not have met every single requirement.

Of course, that's not to say that the difference between the two preferences is black and white. Most individuals would probably take both sets of criteria into account, but lean slightly more towards one than the other.

Also I am an MBTI-obsessed INFJ. :}
Tereya

Postby Danderson » Tue May 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Supposedly I'm INFP...it's pretty acurate...as others have said...very scary...

I guess this makes me the Healer (like that guy from Lady in the Water...SWEET!!!)

I noticed most of the ppl at CAA who've done this are supposedly more Introvert then extravert....find this interesting....But I'm going to guess this isn't entirly accurate...

For example, though supposedly I'm an introvert, I still talk to alot of ppl in real life on a regular basis, but if I had to choose between the two that my personality tends to hide in, I'd say introvert...
Danderson

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue May 19, 2009 10:08 pm

One thing I think we need to be careful of here, when determining personality types, is not to peg others under a label that does not allow them to act any other way. The problem I see with the Meyers-Briggs system, when used improperly, is that people read these write-ups on their projected personality and take it as who they're supposed to be, and they use it almost as an excuse to act a certain way.

For instance, I'm an INTJ by this test, and according to one of those links you posted, Ryan, I'm supposed to be an insufferable jerk who thinks too highly of herself and hates being around people (jokingly as it was stated within the link; it was pretty funny at times xD). Now, I won't deny that I have my "shut up I so don't care" moments (with acquaintances or strangers more so than actual friends), but honestly? I'm called to treat people better (as are we all as followers of Christ), regardless of how they frustrate me (customers anyone?). So yeah. The test is meant to be used to help you better understand yourself and others, not to let it define who you are or who others are able to be. I think that'll be a good thing to remember as this thread continues.

Radical Dreamer

Postby Mave » Wed May 20, 2009 2:56 am

[quote="Radical Dreamer (post: 1313401)"]One thing I think we need to be careful of here, when determining personality types, is not to peg others under a label that does not allow them to act any other way. The problem I see with the Meyers-Briggs system, when used improperly, is that people read these write-ups on their projected personality and take it as who they're supposed to be, and they use it almost as an excuse to act a certain way.

For instance, I'm an INTJ by this test, and according to one of those links you posted, Ryan, I'm supposed to be an insufferable jerk who thinks too highly of herself and hates being around people (jokingly as it was stated within the link]I agree. I consider all these personality tests as guidelines but not as absolute facts. My INTJ friend and I kinda like taking these results/statements and discuss how accurate they are. My first comment was "you're extremely intellectual but you're not as arrogant as that website makes INTJians out to be. LOL" My friend is definitely not an insufferable jerk although some ppl may not naturally gravitate to him because he always looks so serious.

Besides, we're supposed to retake the test from time to time to see if we've changed along the way. No one ever said INTJ now, INTJ forever.

What I additionally noticed though was that there are 3 guy friends whom I'm particularly fond of and they share similar INTJ personality types (I checked!). Of course, each one of them are different in their own special way but it's always interesting to additionally observe if there is a trend to what type of personalities I tend to seek.

Or maybe I've interacted too much with you guys that I've gotten used to these personality types or at least, various types of INTJ/INSJs. I blame all of you! ;) ;) ;)
Mave

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed May 20, 2009 4:28 am

Tereya (post: 1313394) wrote:If I may, I'd like to (hopefully) clarify a bit on this point.

I don't think it's so much that Thinkers make decisions based on rational thought and Feelers make decisions based on emotion, as it is that they each use different criteria to draw conclusions about a given situation.

Thinkers are more likely to make a decision based on objective standards or principles, whereas Feelers tend to place more emphasis on the subjective circumstances surrounding a situation. For example, say a certain professor was grading an essay handed in by one of their students. If they were a Thinker, they'd be more likely to grade the essay based on objective criteria, such as a rubric or otherwise predefined set of requirements. A Feeler would be more likely to deduct or award points based on the amount of time and care a student put into the essay even though they might not have met every single requirement.

Of course, that's not to say that the difference between the two preferences is black and white. Most individuals would probably take both sets of criteria into account, but lean slightly more towards one than the other.

Also I am an MBTI-obsessed INFJ. :}

Ah yes. You are right on this. XD Thanks for the correction.
Radical Dreamer (post: 1313401) wrote:One thing I think we need to be careful of here, when determining personality types, is not to peg others under a label that does not allow them to act any other way. The problem I see with the Meyers-Briggs system, when used improperly, is that people read these write-ups on their projected personality and take it as who they're supposed to be, and they use it almost as an excuse to act a certain way.

For instance, I'm an INTJ by this test, and according to one of those links you posted, Ryan, I'm supposed to be an insufferable jerk who thinks too highly of herself and hates being around people (jokingly as it was stated within the link]
Well you're not wrong. Course not. Nobody has argued otherwise.

People need to realize that the MBTI does not work for behavior. It is for cognition. There is a big difference between the two. It's not what you do, but how you mentally process things. Granted some people's behaviors reflect their cognition, but others may choose to act differently (due to other factors such as upbringing, priming, etc).

Even in your response, you exhibit the same way that a TJ would think! Careful scrutinization for an accurate estimation of validity is indeed an NTJ trait (i.e."Okay, it's an interesting idea. Now does it work and if so, how much?"). From what I experienced, Js tend to think in black and white. Ps focus a whole lot more on the grey (pastabilities!) A P and a J both agree on a similar point but may think that they are in disagreement because of their methods of communication of an idea. XD Ps and Js leave some things out (but mentally note them!) and other things are said. That can lead to confusion. =p I noticed this with one of my friends. We were discussing something and it seemed like we were in disagreement. But in the end we were like "Why are we even arguing if we're both agreeing?"

And some people are higher in each separate letter than others. I'm a very low E, borderline I. However, I have a high P-score. Two of my other ENFP friends are extreme E's. While we're all ENFPs, we each behave very differently. Likewise, I'm going to bet that Corrie has a low T, whereas another friend of mine has a much higher T score.

You may not be a jerk (Or you may but don't realize it =p) but I have two INTJ friends who have a very grandiose sense of self. Do the they two positively correlate? I think very much so. They both don't realize how standoffish they can be.
Danderson (post: 1313397) wrote:Supposedly I'm INFP...it's pretty acurate...as others have said...very scary...

I guess this makes me the Healer (like that guy from Lady in the Water...SWEET!!!)

I noticed most of the ppl at CAA who've done this are supposedly more Introvert then extravert....find this interesting....But I'm going to guess this isn't entirly accurate...

For example, though supposedly I'm an introvert, I still talk to alot of ppl in real life on a regular basis, but if I had to choose between the two that my personality tends to hide in, I'd say introvert...

Is spend more time on the internet. Usually INs. Why? Cause it's harder for them to relate to others (most people in the United States are SJs). On the internet, there are people that are similar-minded and of course, it's generally easier for an I to interact online than in real-life when it comes to new people.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed May 20, 2009 7:14 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1313437) wrote:Well you're not wrong. Course not. Nobody has argued otherwise.

People need to realize that the MBTI does not work for behavior. It is for cognition. There is a big difference between the two. It's not what you do, but how you mentally process things. Granted some people's behaviors reflect their cognition, but others may choose to act differently (due to other factors such as upbringing, priming, etc).

Even in your response, you exhibit the same way that a TJ would think! Careful scrutinization for an accurate estimation of validity is indeed an NTJ trait (i.e."Okay, it's an interesting idea. Now does it work and if so, how much?"). From what I experienced, Js tend to think in black and white. Ps focus a whole lot more on the grey (pastabilities!) A P and a J both agree on a similar point but may think that they are in disagreement because of their methods of communication of an idea. XD Ps and Js leave some things out (but mentally note them!) and other things are said. That can lead to confusion. =p I noticed this with one of my friends. We were discussing something and it seemed like we were in disagreement. But in the end we were like "Why are we even arguing if we're both agreeing?"

And some people are higher in each separate letter than others. I'm a very low E, borderline I. However, I have a high P-score. Two of my other ENFP friends are extreme E's. While we're all ENFPs, we each behave very differently. Likewise, I'm going to bet that Corrie has a low T, whereas another friend of mine has a much higher T score.

You may not be a jerk (Or you may but don't realize it =p) but I have two INTJ friends who have a very grandiose sense of self. Do the they two positively correlate? I think very much so. They both don't realize how standoffish they can be.

I can pour you another glass of Falcon Punch if you want stand-offish, Ryan. I think you might have just missed the point of my entire post. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed May 20, 2009 7:46 am

I think I understand your frustrations (and I know of many that agree with you) of how the MBTI can take a person and simply put them in a little box with a label. I highly doubt that's how Isabelle Meyers and Carl Jung meant to do things.

And you're right! If you're not careful, it's very possible to label someone (intentionally or otherwise) and tell them that what they do is fixated because of who they are. I know I've unintentionally made that mistake before...

People are dynamic. However, I also see the MBTI as dynamic.

And I guess I'll just leave it at that...
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed May 20, 2009 9:00 am

Your Type is
INFJ
Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
Strength of the preferences %
67 25 38 22

You are:

* distinctively expressed introvert
* moderately expressed intuitive personality
* moderately expressed feeling personality
* slightly expressed judging personality

Counselors have an exceptionally strong desire to contribute to the welfare of others, and find great personal fulfillment interacting with people, nurturing their personal development, guiding them to realize their human potential. Although they are happy working at jobs (such as writing) that require solitude and close attention, Counselors do quite well with individuals or groups of people, provided that the personal interactions are not superficial, and that they find some quiet, private time every now and then to recharge their batteries. Counselors are both kind and positive in their handling of others; they are great listeners and seem naturally interested in helping people with their personal problems. Not usually visible leaders, Counselors prefer to work intensely with those close to them, especially on a one-to-one basis, quietly exerting their influence behind the scenes.

Counselors are scarce, little more than one percent of the population, and can be hard to get to know, since they tend not to share their innermost thoughts or their powerful emotional reactions except with their loved ones. They are highly private people, with an unusually rich, complicated inner life. Friends or colleagues who have known them for years may find sides emerging which come as a surprise. Not that Counselors are flighty or scattered; they value their integrity a great deal, but they have mysterious, intricately woven personalities which sometimes puzzle even them.

Counselors tend to work effectively in organizations. They value staff harmony and make every effort to help an organization run smoothly and pleasantly. They understand and use human systems creatively, and are good at consulting and cooperating with others. As employees or employers, Counselors are concerned with people's feelings and are able to act as a barometer of the feelings within the organization.

Blessed with vivid imaginations, Counselors are often seen as the most poetical of all the types, and in fact they use a lot of poetic imagery in their everyday language. Their great talent for language-both written and spoken-is usually directed toward communicating with people in a personalized way. Counselors are highly intuitive and can recognize another's emotions or intentions - good or evil - even before that person is aware of them. Counselors themselves can seldom tell how they came to read others' feelings so keenly. This extreme sensitivity to others could very well be the basis of the Counselor's remarkable ability to experience a whole array of psychic phenomena.

Mohandas Gandhi, Sidney Poitier, Eleanor Roosevelt, Jane Goodall, Emily Bronte, Sir Alec Guiness, Carl Jung, Mary Baker Eddy, Queen Noor are examples of the Counselor Idealist (INFJ).

Eh...I don't know. To me, this doesn't really sound like me.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mave » Wed May 20, 2009 5:43 pm

Oh wait, I just remembered.

It also depends on the nature of the questions and how I respond to it (how I would like to act vs how I actually *act*). My friend gave me two different sets of test questions. One was general while the other had more specifics & given context.

I ended up INTJ in the former and ESFJ in the latter. We thought that was interesting. After a bit more of thinking, I concluded that I am a natural ESFJ who's trying to be INTJ. Next question, why am I forcing myself to be more INTJ? I speculate "mismatched career"!

Honestly, I'd rather i) study ppl & get heavily involved in social or community work or ii) tell crazy stories & draw creative character designs. Instead, I go to work every morning to work on experimental designs, critic scientific literature, use statistical analysis to interpret a bunch of quantitative data and duke it out with fellow researchers. Pls don't end up like me. It's really frustrating! LOL

Like I mentioned before, MBTI is not an absolute but it can be useful. I am glad to understand myself a little bit more.....^_^
Mave

Postby shooraijin » Wed May 20, 2009 6:47 pm

Myself, I actually like the enneagram better for personality dynamics, but it's much harder to assess externally.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu May 21, 2009 8:02 pm

FWoS.
Fish and Chips

Postby Corkyspaniel » Sun May 24, 2009 11:33 am

[color="Magenta"]INFP[/color]

[color="magenta"]Counseling + Psychology/Psychotherapist[/color] - My Chosen Career Field

[color="magenta"]Literature/Writer[/color] - I've always loved to write.

[color="Magenta"]<http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=3&c=healer>[/color] - All very true.

This test was very accurate. ^.^
[color="Green"][SIZE="2"]There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.1 Corinthians 10:13, KJV[/SIZE][/color]
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][font="Comic Sans MS"][color="DarkOrange"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][SIZE="4"]Believe it!!![/color][/font][/SIZE]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="DarkOrchid"] [SIZE="2"]~Neji/Tenten fan~[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Corkyspaniel

Previous Next

Return to General