What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Pent » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:35 pm

Besides a whole bunch of books I have to read for school that I'm not really getting into, I'm reading one book. It's the last book in a series. The series is called Remnants, and I think it's an asome series! Let me try to explain the story a little. It's the year 2011, and a giant 71 mile long astroid is about to hit Earth. 80 lucky people with some type of ascotion with NASA are given the chance to go on an experimental shuttle. Using very new hibernation technology. It's by K.A. Applegate. and I love it! Oh yea duh! Artemis Fowl! Awsome book! It's about a 13 year old genious millionare. It's scifi-fantasy genre is really cool. In it there are fairys (fantasy) who are a hundred years ahead of the humans in technoligy(fantasy). There also going to make a movie of it to! Thats it for now...
Pent

Postby Pent » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:39 pm

Let me edit that reply.

Who are a hundred years ahead of the humans (*sci-fi) :sweat: :)
Pent

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:38 pm

Alright Last week I read:
Sweet Thursday - John Steinbeck
Wise Blood - Flannery O'Connor
Ladies and Gentlemen, To the Gas Chamber - Tadeusz Borowski
Endgame - Beckett
Maus (a graphic novel on the holocaust) - Art Spiegelman

And now I am reading:
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

Ah the joys of being an English major!!
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:17 am

I've completed CS Lewis's space trilogy, and will be starting on Job: A Comedy of Justice momentarily. Also, I read about half of Phillip Yancy's How My Faith Survived the Church but realized it wasn't truly what I wanted to read. Also, I read parts of Nevertheless, a book outlining over twenty varieties of pacifism.
uc pseudonym

Kinda OT: Reading habits

Postby Mave » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:13 am

Oh I'm also reading Lee Strobel 's "My Case for Faith" at the same time, which leads me to a question.

When you guys read, do you usually:
1) Gobble up the whole book and finish it off in one sitting
2) Read one book quite a bit (halfway or a few chapters), put it down and get back to it later (maybe a few hours later or the next day)
3) Read a few books at the same time (thus reading a few chapters at each go)

Or a better question would be, in general, how fast does it take you to finish reading a book?

I usually do Option 3. But most books by John Grisham tend to push me towards Option 1.
Mave

Postby cbwing0 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:16 am

Generally I like to concentrate on one book at a time, although I will occasionally read several at once.

"The Case For Faith," is a good book; and, one of the first books that got me interested in apologetics. :thumb:
cbwing0

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:23 am

I generally concentrate on one book at a time, in longer sittings. When I have a lot of time I do it in one.
uc pseudonym

Postby Door Nob » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:38 pm

You guys shouold read the Book. Flabergasted I know i didn't spell it right but its a great book!
Door Nob

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:51 pm

I usually read many at the same time, but that isn't always by choice. I'd prefer it the other way, except for books for different purposes. For example: I'd like to only have to read one fiction book at a time, but I wouldn't mind reading a theology book alondside that one or the like. Know what I mean? I usually take option two otherwise. There are a few books that I just can't put down, but usually once I get to the last maybe sixty pages of a fiction book, it's as good as finished that day.

By the way, I'm reading The Magician's Nephew, by C. S. Lewis right now as well as still reading The Grapes of Wrath.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:57 pm

Being on Spring Break, I have a bit of extra time, much of which has been spent reading and writing. I've just blazed through much of the CrossGen universe, some of InuYasha, some of Chobits, the Cowboy Bebop "alternate", some of Ranma 1/2 and random volumes of Oh My Goddess.

Oddly, I just "read" a book Finding God In Harry Potter. I would not reccommend it, but I would commend the author if I could. The purpose of the book is actually as such: those against Harry Potter often cite specific examples which correlate to real life witch craft. The author takes specific examples and makes them relate to the Bible. She isn't serious, just pointing out that if these same methods can produce opposing results, their effectiveness must be in question.

I currently post from the library, and I will return home with Brave New World if at all possible.
uc pseudonym

Postby Solid Ronin » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:26 pm

Im reading Shogun ,myself
Solid Ronin

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:27 pm

I'll be curious about your thoughts on it when you have read all of it. It wasn't really my type of book, but I wouldn't condemn someone for liking it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Solid Ronin » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:41 pm

i've read about half of it already and love the book...In fact I like reading it MUCH more than I did reading Lord of The Rings
Solid Ronin

Postby btboy500 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:34 pm

As of now, I too, am reading "Philosophical Foundations For A Christian Worldview" by William Lane Craig and James Porter Moreland. It spans a large amount of topics, including the ones cbwing0 mentioned. I'm also reading "The Case for Faith" by Lee Strobel and "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis.

For leisurely reading, "Soon" by Jerry B. Kenkins which is a story about a namesake of Paul in a world where religion is banned
(Thanks UC for some of the recommendations). Finally, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

I'd prefer to just read one book at a time, but one thing leads to another, and I'm reading 5 books :lol: Fortunately, Spring Break is in a little over a week so I'll have plenty of time then to catch up on my reading :) . Oh, I nearly forgot. Manga-wise, I'm also slowly reading the Ranma 1/2 series by Rumiko Takahashi.
btboy500

Postby Link Antilles » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:02 pm

I'm reading "Lies my Teacher Told me" it's an interesting book... I've only just began the book. It's some pretty interesting stuff. Til' now, I thought my friend was making up stuff about Helen Keller being Communist.. O_o
Link Antilles

Postby SwordSkill » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:27 pm

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:19 am

I want to read that! But after checking in the library I discovered all copies were "in use" which only means they have never been recorded as reshelved, for whatever the reason. Working through their computer system I checked its real status to discover... it's been lost. Great. Perhaps I can interlibrary loan it...

Also, I had the "Fallen" series recommended to me, and I will probably finish the first book in a few days, assuming I get my hands on it soon. We'll see if I can approve of it.
uc pseudonym

Postby MillicentKnight » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:41 pm

Currently I am reading The Once and Future King by T. H. White. I'm about halfway through it and can't put it down! n.n

It is about the life of King Arthur. It starts when he is just a boy and ends with his death. (At least that's what the back of the book says. Haven't gotten to the end yet so don't know. *grin*)

I've always been fascinated with the Dark Ages and knights and kings and such, but actually I decided I wanted the read this book after I watched X-Men 2. *impish grin* Magneto has good taste in books! n.n;
I'd like to slip into something more comfortable....like a coma.

:bang: *points* This is me 75% of the time...
MillicentKnight

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:54 pm

Dragons Gate by lawrence Yep. I just finshed Dragon wings by Yep. VERY good books
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mineko » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:02 pm

I'm reading "The Place of the Lion" by Charles Williams. It's kinda hard to describe what it's about, but I really like it. It's fantasy, I guess the main theme of it is how people come to God in their time and their own ways, and some people reject Him altogether. This is my second time reading it and there's a lot there that I didn't notice the first time I read it.

I'm also reading the Iliad, and it's pretty gory and that's all I have to say about that book.
It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass.
Mineko

Postby Locke » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:33 pm

reading Red Mafiya- how the russian mob has invaded america and just finished teeth of the tiger last night. trying to break my record of reading two novels in one week
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Kireihana » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:52 am

I'm reading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. I think my favorite story from it is the one of Turin Turambar...
Kireihana

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:00 pm

I don't need another book, but this Sunday I picked up Armageddon and the Peaceable Kingdom by Walter Klaassen. Anyone who subscribes to premillenial theology should read it. While it is not scholarly in intent, it is fairly well written and thought out, and raised some important points.
uc pseudonym

Postby ThaKladd » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:34 pm

Right now Im reading "The Case for Faith" by Lee Strobel - a vry good book that give answers to very many of the hardest questions to both atheists and christian - like "how can God be good when there are so much bad things happening"...

Recomended!!
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby Zedian » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:20 pm

Well the bible is still my favorite book, it's got it all. But aside from that I've been reading "Da Vinci Code" which is actually pretty intriguing. I started on it a few weeks and so far it's been entertaining. Next I might look into "The Office", dealing with the workplace, could be helpful to me.
Zedian

Postby Six » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:58 pm

The Bourne Supremecy (this is the sequel to the book "The Bourne Identity" written by Robert Ludlum and infinitly better than the movie you are no doubt familiar with)

Art of War- Sun Tzu

Fight Ignorance

Inform Yourself

See another country's point of view

Know Your Online Rights

Discover the Intelligent alternative to the basic political parties

Name: Sakeshi Hiromuki

Username:Six

Proficiencies:Kunai, Shuriken, Light Blade (Kodachi)

Techniques:

Clone: NinJutsu; user creates an immobile clone usable only as a decoy

Substitution: GenJutsu; user replaced their body with another object, and throws an illusion around the object so it appears to be them. The illusion breaks on contact with an object

Transformation: GenJutsu; user casts an illusion making them appear as someone else

Slashing Wind: NinJutsu; the user summons and hurls a massive gust of wind. If done properly can cut (25-20tp=5tp)
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Postby SwordSkill » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:57 pm

Sawako Ariyoshi's The River Ki.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Kawaii_Angel » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:14 am

I just finished reading this ACE book called 'Hex'.
There are two books currently and they're awsome!
It remindsme of something that a manga would be based on!^__^
Kawaii_Angel

Postby DrNic » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:29 pm

You know, I'm actually not reading anything at all at the moment. Sad isn't it. I just don't have any time or wanting to read anything...although I was part way through The Fellowship Of The Ring a while ago...I'll have to pick that up again sometime...
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:34 pm

Currently reading:
Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
also reading A Tale of Two Cities for school..
EvilSporkofDoom

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner