A Cruce Salus

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

A Cruce Salus

Postby soul alive » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:46 pm

After over a year - the prologue chapter of my comic is finally done!

The website is: www.battlecrycomics.com

A Cruce Salus

Description
Genre: Drama/historical fantasy
Target audience: more on the side of shonen
Brief description: It has been a century and a half since the ascension of Jesus Christ, and members of the growing religion of Christianity are undergoing severe persecution in the Roman Empire. The emperor has declared war on anyone refusing to worship him as a deity. Elsewhere, in the gladiatorial arenas, a group of competitors with amazing abilities dominate the imagination of the people. Amused by the bloody spectacles, poor and rich alike flock to the games. However, something is amiss in this ancient world. Twenty-second century technology is highly out of place in this ancient world, yet it frequently appears at unlikely times and places. Uncover the mystery behind this extraordinary situation in a world on the verge of spiritual warfare.
Updates: coming soon. the prologue was an experiment, so I haven't written anything further. I'd like to start updating regular chapters around the end of May, but who knows.

Ratings (rough estimates, if you feel they are inaccurate, let me know)
Violence: 4/10
Language: 1/10
Sexual Content: 1/10
Nudity (or skimpy outfits): 1/10
Bad Religion/Science: 2/10

The current ratings are for the Prologue only. I will adjust the ratings as chapters update and contents change.

Keep in mind that this is a comic about gladiators and ancient Rome. There is going to be violence; angry gladiators do not say 'golly, that hurt!'; and Christians were a minority, so there will be pagan religions presented. I am going to try to keep as historically accurate as I can, but I will definitely not glorify physical violence, paganism, promiscuity, or potty-mouths. If you have concerns or questions, just ask.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Syreth » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:55 pm

They layout looks awesome! One little thing might be that on the homepage, the copyright message on the bottom is cut off by the shoutbox frame. It also gets muddled in with the other text. Can't wait to see the comic!
Syreth

Postby soul alive » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:02 am

Thanks. I'm working hard on getting the prologue ready.

I'll also be working on getting the layout fixed so that it works for smaller resolutions better... I just checked it out on my work computer, and it looks like blarg, and it uses IE with 1024x768. Just need to sit down for a day and fuss with different browsers and resolutions on my own computer and see if I can find something that works for everything. *le sigh*
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Esoteric » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:21 am

Yeah, not bad! I'm viewing on Firefox at ehh...1280x1024. The only problem I saw was the verse in the top left corner of the homepage had drifted down over the top portion of the shout box. Everything else looks great!
Esoteric

Postby the_lizardqueen » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:43 am

I'm currently at 1440 x 960 using Safari on a Mac Laptop. I'm having a similar issue to Eso's, the verse keeps drifting down into the shoutbox. The disclaimer at the bottom is also overlapping the window text. Gotta love webpage design >_<

Other than one or two minor glitches, the webpage looks very sharp :thumb:

The second cap was taken with Safari's default window setting, the first cap is when I started messing around with the window sizing. Hope these help ^^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby soul alive » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:52 pm

Ah. Thanks, that really helps. I have a pretty good idea of what the problem with the verse and copyright is... I placed them on the screen in relation to the bottom, not the top. Will fix that asap.

:edit: It seems that the site doesn't work at all in IE. Which is really frustrating, considering that it seems to work perfectly fine in everything else, and the book I use was written for IE a couple years ago. *sigh* I think the easiest thing might be to just make another site specifically for IE, at least until I get everything else figured out. *'nother sigh*
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:41 pm

Looks fine in Camino!
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby soul alive » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:03 pm

I apologize for the amount of time it is taking to get the actual comic up... but, it needs to be put up all at once. Fortunately, the normal chapters will be updated differently.

Never having done this before, it's taking a while to get the process all figured out. heh. But the rough drafts are all done now! So all that is left to do is the finished version in the computer. Which should be a veritable breeze after getting the first page finished, lol... since the Colliseum is a bit of a challenge to draw in PS. XD

I'll post some teaser images both here and on the site, as I get things done. Keep an eye out for them.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Mave » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:37 am

I'll be keeping my eyes open on this project. :)

As for the layout, the frame containing the shoutbox doesn't stretch out to its actual size (i.e. I have to scroll to read the shoutbox comments).
Mave

Postby soul alive » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:11 pm

Thanks, Mave. And it's good to see you back.

:sweat: Yeah, the shoutbox is rather messed up right now, it's high on my list of things to fix... I'm working on getting the layout, erm, laid-out better. My first priority right now is getting the prologue done, though. When I get the prologue up, I'll put up the fixed layout as well.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby soul alive » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:29 pm

(Sorry for the double post, but I want the thread to update.)

The prologue is officially done and up for all to see!

http://www.battlecrycomics.com
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Esoteric » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:53 pm

Whoa, that was a trip! Here I was expecting a simple historical fiction, when suddenly, "Security system deactivated." I'm not quite sure what to think yet, so you have me guessing! You've certainly put a lot of time into your drawings.
Esoteric

Postby soul alive » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:59 pm

eh, hehe. Which is why it needed to be put up all at once - the last couple of pages would have been too confusing otherwise. ^^;

I have a pretty solid explanation, which will slowly come to light through the comic - I hope it's not too wild though. ^_^
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Syreth » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:12 am

That was certainly a surprise. I definately hope to read more to see where you going with this. Whatever the outcome might be, the story has my attention thus far. Nice work!
Syreth

Postby soul alive » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:30 pm

Thanks, Syreth!
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby soul alive » Mon May 07, 2007 1:30 pm

Sorry for the double post.

I've finally fixed the website's layout. It's no longer the ugly mess of overlaid tables that had an argument with IE about table location, and took too long to load and was too big. The interchangeable Bible verses are back again on the main page as well. If you spot any problems, let me know.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby soul alive » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:08 am

I've added photosoph's and my entry to the 2007 Comix35 competition. We're very happy with how it turned out, so please go check it out.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:55 pm

ooh you guys entered too? AWESOME! *goes to see*

hehe you totally beat me! GREAT JOB you two!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby soul alive » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:44 am

Thanks! Don't discredit yourself, CK - your entries were very good too, I really liked the seed one.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Mave » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:45 am

Guh, I totally forgot about this competition. But your submission is looking good! :thumb:
Mave

Postby soul alive » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:39 pm

Thanks Mave!
Sorry you missed out, though - hopefully their next contest will come quicker than the two years it took since the last one.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby USSRGirl » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:26 am

*Shuffles in*

Greetings. Just read your webmanga and thought I should comment instead of just reading them like I usually do. The art is very nice, and I like where you're going with the sci-fi twist at the end. Hope ya write more soon!

Btw, Photosoph's mini comic is one of the funniest little things I've read! XD
USSRGirl

Postby CreatureArt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:28 pm

I LOVED your submission to the contest, SA. I'm still loving ACS - I check back every so often for when you're able to update. :)
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby soul alive » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:10 am

Thanks USSRGirl! I'm actually in the process of scripting at the moment. Hopefully, but the end of the month, or early, early July, updates will start on a regular schedule.

I'll let Soph know, and you can also send her a PM if you want, I'm sure she'd love feedback.

And thanks, Rah! I'm horrifically busy from school and work right now, but hopefully *crosses fingers* can begin updating on a regular schedule soon.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby CreatureArt » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:20 am

No worries, SA. I know what its like with Uni.. and I'm only doing one degree, haha. I'm seriously just happy to read whenever you update. I hope the school and work load ease off a bit for you.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby soul alive » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:51 am

Me too. *makes face* I have some time this weekend, so hopefully, I'll get the script draft done, and sent off to my beta(s). Yay! :D
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:49 pm

Nice C35 entry! Can't wait to see it in print! ;)
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby soul alive » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:59 am

hehe, thanks Gypsy! Did you do an entry this time around?
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby soul alive » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:11 pm

The website is down... ;_;

I'm paid up, so apparently my server is currently having problems. I'm busy hunting down heads to roll. I'll update as soon as I know more, or get them to fix things.

:edit: All better. They sent me two bills instead of one, and I paid the second, thinking it covered everything, but when I paid, it didn't mention needing to pay the remainder of another bill. Geez. *rolls eyes*
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soul alive

Postby CreatureArt » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:43 pm

I'm glad that its all sorted out now. Its pretty disappointing when you put so much work into a site and comic and its suddenly not up due to events under the server's control.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Next

Return to Webmanga/comics