CAA Radio – Episode 32 – “Moose and Squirrelâ€Â

The anime/manga/forums podcast

CAA Radio – Episode 32 – “Moose and Squirrelâ€

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:13 pm

In this show, we talk about space pirates, webcomics, friendship, and the usual. -But, now with more Enka!

You can directly download the show from this link: Right Click and Save As. Or stream the show from here.

Here's the show divided into bite-size parts:

Part 1 (What we've been watching/first topic):Right Click and Save As.
Part 2 (Interview): Right Click and Save As.
Part 3 (Second Topic - Let's Watch): Right Click and Save As.
Image
User avatar
Link Antilles
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:00 am
Location: South Carolina

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 am

Man, who's that guy with the really annoying voice that kept on laughing? He nearly ruined the show for me.

Though, since doing the show, I have read all of minus and it is my new favorite thing ever. Fish is right again.

I also was looking forward to the recommendation, so laughs on me or something. All in all, though, it was really awesome to get to be on the show! I'm glad to have done it.
User avatar
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs
 
Posts: 2364
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: The Roaring Song-City

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:13 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1466724) wrote:Fish is right again.
Image
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1466724) wrote:I also was looking forward to the recommendation, so laughs on me or something.
Everyone read Minus.
User avatar
Fish and Chips
 
Posts: 4415
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere.

Postby blkmage » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:52 am

SOMEONE WAN WAN, an excellent start.

I am sure I can talk at length about Kimi ni Todoke.

I wish GOSICK was in the style of its OP every time.

Yes, I am filling this in as I am listening. And it is time for class.

HAHAHA ANGEL BEATS

Subs make me an obsessed freak? :3c にょろ〜ん

Shizuo's image song is probably pretty alright because it's Ono Daisuke.

Dragon Crisis involved a child in a suitcase. It was not very good. I dropped it after like two episodes.

UC Gundam show that is definitely squad based mobile suit combat: The 08th MS Team.

oh yeah WATCH HOUROU MUSUKO
User avatar
blkmage
 
Posts: 4529
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:40 pm

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:58 am

I would like to apologize for my absence for the vast majority of the show (and arguably in my discussion in the show) My family sprung a very surprising trip on us as my older sis and I are visiting for the week. It was very last minute and it wound up being a 15 hour stuck in the car/running around type of trip. I was very mentally drained.

If anyone would like some clearer advice from me on the whole webcomic thing, just ask! ^_^ hopefully I can give you clearer tips and such.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
User avatar
ChristianKitsune
 
Posts: 5420
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 am

Excellent show. I'm glad we all concur on Giant Robo. Soon we shall take over the world.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
User avatar
bigsleepj
 
Posts: 3431
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: South Africa - Oh yes, better believe it!

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Entertaining show, everyone. The Mad Hatter makes his presence felt.

The content was a blast, but I have a few suggestions to make in terms of quality control of future podcasts. Am I being nitpicky? Yes, I am. I am aware that this show is just a hobby; however, I do feel that the following fairly simple edits will improve/streamline the show and make it even more of a pleasure than it already is.

(1) Cut those silences, please. I have mentioned this before, but I'm pretty sure silence takes up 10-12% of the show. If I'm right, that's over 10 minutes. I don't think this task would be too difficult.

(2) Cut out the "Ummmm"s and the "Hang on, lemme look this up". These moments usually lead into silences, and they are distracting in and of themselves.

(3) Skype noises...gotta go. I'm unsure if there's a simple solution for this, but, again, that sort of thing is pretty distracting.

(4) Change vocal habits. Mech does this thing at the end of a lot of his sentences...like a sharp intake of breath, and then he will pause. It's the sort of thing they teach not to do in speech class b/c the audience will focus on your habit rather than what you're saying, which is what I find myself doing at times. I hope people do not take this like I am being mean...again just offering helpful criticism/input.

I do want to take a second and address the Let's Watch section and defend Harlock. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed, not because you weren't into the show, but because the criticisms seemed a bit...lazy? They didn't have a lot of substance to them, in my opinion, but hey I'm biased. Also, it seemed like the majority view was "This is not a quality show" (un-ironically, that is) rather than "This show wasn't my thing." In my opinion, the critique offered does not demonstrate that Harlock is, in fact, not a quality show.

As a general note, I think it would be a good idea to just not review 1970s shows anymore, as it's well-established by now that you guys aren't into older stuff.

Now, on to specific arguments...
Derp derp, it looks old!
Well gee guys, you did choose to review a television show from the late 70s.
Yada yada character designs
Its one thing to not like designs, but the reasons given were that the characters were (1) skinny and (2) were drawn with features that were disproportionately large. Yup, totally different from most anime character designs.
Woman's head put onto a girl's body...creepy
Again, watch any anime lately? Both this and its converse are quite common in the medium, especially recently.
the Leji-verse has no internal consistency
Firstly, the origin stories for Harlock are not that wildly different, if that's what's bothering you. Second, what does the consistency of the overarching universe have to do with the quality of the Space Pirate Captain Harlock TV show? It is a self-contained story with an origin and a backstory for Harlock and a definite conclusion. The show doesn't force you to take in the entirety of the Leji-verse. I think one ought to judge whether or not it is a bad show on the merits of the show itself.
Does the show rely on previous shows that explain/demonstrate Harlock's character?
Not really. I mean, I think they expected the audience to know who the heck he is, but no familiarity with any of his history is required...especially since, as you pointed out, his origin gets a slightly different spin.
Government solved world hunger, and what do they do? watch horse races.
I'm unsure what is so wrong/silly about this. The episode is pretty clear about the fact that because the government has solved all of humanity's immediate problems and taken care of its material/physical needs, people have become decadent and absorbed in pleasures/festivals/sports/etc. The idea is that civilization is crumbling b/c it has gotten so lax.
Millennium Falcon much?
Though this is likely a joke and isn't actually a reason you're knocking the show, I just thought I'd point out that the first episode aired not even a year after Star Wars had come out. I highly doubt that Matsumoto even saw the film before the first episode went to air, but, even if he did, that is quite late in the process to make design changes. FYI, the Arcadia is actually patterned heavily after the famous Japanese battleship Yamato, rather than Han Solo's "piece of junk," as a certain Jedi once called it.
Captain Harlock hasn't aged well
I think you're misapplying the phrase. A show aging well or not doesn't have anything to do with aesthetic or design choices; rather, a show that ages well does so because its writing and characters are able to remain relevant and authentic as time passes. And, one episode is not enough for anyone to make that determination about Harlock. If the criterion for aging well was to make aesthetic/design choices that hold up, then essentially nothing ages well. Here are examples: Leave it to Beaver. This show hasn't aged well, and it doesn't have anything to do with its aesthetic. The characters just aren't authentic to us in our present situation. Blade Runner. The aesthetic looks pretty dated, but I think the movie has aged well because it has something to say that we still find relevant today.

tl;dr: Good pod, cut the silence, I like Harlock.
User avatar
TheSubtleDoctor
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:48 am
Location: Region 1

Postby Rusty Claymore » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:18 pm

(1) Cut those silences, please. I have mentioned this before, but I'm pretty sure silence takes up 10-12% of the show. If I'm right, that's over 10 minutes. I don't think this task would be too difficult.

(2) Cut out the "Ummmm"s and the "Hang on, lemme look this up". These moments usually lead into silences, and they are distracting in and of themselves.

(3) Skype noises...gotta go. I'm unsure if there's a simple solution for this, but, again, that sort of thing is pretty distracting.



0_o Wow, apparently I have really awful taste! XD
I actually like the little silent bits, often times they seem to give way to a little comedy. And I like bursting out laughing in public for no apparent reason! XD
The ums and hang-ons, while "unprofessional", lend a "real" quality to it, and I often have to remind myself that this is just a recording and I can't chime in. Having chatted with Link adds to that a little too. XP
I agree with the Doc about the skype noises. In the few skype experiences I have had, lots of humor happens in the text segment so I feel like I'm missing out. T.T As far as I know you can just mute the bip on skype itself, right?

Government solved world hunger... ships sound like growly tummies...

The government musta solved world hunger by creating hunger powered ships!! XD
Great cast overall guys, I really enjoyed it!

@CK: I think they have daily release webcomics by doing 7 pages on Saturday. That's how I'd do it, but I'm pretty lazy. XP
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
User avatar
Rusty Claymore
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: Alaska

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:56 pm

To clarify, the "Skype noises" are rarely anything extra from the podcast. it's usually planning here's whats coming next on the show (rarely is it anything too entertaining), and so on. But I agree XD we need to cut those out. (It is pretty easy to mute them)

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We are always striving to be better than our last podcast.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
User avatar
ChristianKitsune
 
Posts: 5420
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:25 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467052) wrote:
(1) Cut those silences, please. I have mentioned this before, but I'm pretty sure silence takes up 10-12% of the show. If I'm right, that's over 10 minutes. I don't think this task would be too difficult.


No promises, but this might actually happen next time. On the next gamecast (and CAA Radio), I’m going to try and record the show with my newest computer (with soundbooth). If it works and I don’t have to fall back to the old junker, I’ll be able to edit the show without crashes, etc.
Image
User avatar
Link Antilles
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:00 am
Location: South Carolina

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:34 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467052) wrote:I like Harlock.
To defend myself, at least, while I can't talk for the rest of the podcast membership, I wasn't criticizing the show. I'm sure that if you can manage to not laugh the entire time, it is well worth your time to watch Harlock. I will, however, state that I do think the lack of internal consistency in the Lejiverse is a flaw to the show, due to the fact that it does weaken the feeling of hugeness to a universe that contains several shows that share characters but not focus on a specific thing. One of the advantages of such a potentially huge universe is that it feels boundless and full of possibilities! If Maiza, Czeslaw, and Elmer can be dealing with kidnappers and cults(Baccano!) while Ikebukuro breaks out into a gang war(Durarara!!) as vampire nobles feud(Vamp!), all at the same time, what else could be happening in the Naritaverse at this time? Taking away the internal consistency weakens the feeling of immersion because you don't know if something that happens will have an effect on the rest of the universe.

Now, does this matter if you only watch Harlock? I suppose not, but I wouldn't dismiss internal consistency as an irrelevant argument. Also, I'm not sure the animation was as of high quality for the time, as I think Gundam had better animation despite coming out only a year later.

blkmage (post: 1466743) wrote:Subs make me an obsessed freak? :3c に]Well, at least if they do, I'm here for companionship or something.

Shizuo's image song is probably pretty alright because it's Ono Daisuke.
If you didn't figure it out(and you probably did) it's the song that plays before the first break.

UC Gundam show that is definitely squad based mobile suit combat: The 08th MS Team.
This confirms my suspicions that this is the Gundam show for me.

Also, the day this came out I had the WORKING!! OP stuck in my head all day and it was awesome.
User avatar
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs
 
Posts: 2364
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: The Roaring Song-City

Postby blkmage » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:51 pm

About Gundam and invincible prototypes, I think that's really only a problem in the more modern AU series (the most egregious of them being W or SEED). A lot of UC Gundam isn't exactly squad based, but that's because for most of it, the engagements are on a much smaller scale (for instance, much of the first series is Char's pursuit of a single ship, the White Base). Things eventually ramp up to real battles and you'll see that the Gundam (and subsequent such Gundams) aren't ridiculously overpowered. Even all the way up to Unicorn, where you have ridiculous prototypes and Newtypes, a few skilled pilots up against a white devil aren't automatically screwed with a press of a button (lol SEED).
User avatar
blkmage
 
Posts: 4529
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:40 pm

Postby goldenspines » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Fantastic show, guys. Children in suitcases, free wi-fi, and space harpoons, oh my!

Hat, God bless you and I hope you win the lottery. ;o;/

You made a great guest, Hat. Though, I say we record your laugh and Fish's laugh, and make a mix record out of it, with a hint of Mech's nervous "hahahaaa, right...." laugh. Then we can add Link's "You're listening to CAA Radio" and we'll also put CK in there....somewhere. >_>
Anyways, someone needs to do that because I can't. D:

I know nothing about The Max, but Rocky and Bullwinkle! I love that show so much. :D

And to keep Fish from taking all the credit, I still think I can be credited for pushing Hat that final step towards actually buying Giant Robo. :D

The power of Friendship will conquer all! \o.o/

Alberto is THE MAN, yes.

Naruto = anime of the heartbroken, Remember this, kids.

I am convinced I'm one of the few people on CAA who actually started reading Tegami Bachi when it started publishing and had to wait those looooooooooong months to get the next chapter. :<

Yay, CK did finaly show up at the end! :D
Also, I think Mech should make and publish a webcomic. o:
I also think Fish should as well.

Reading is Power!

And yay for the Super Sentai song at the end~


P.S. Great, now I've been guilt-tripped into posting questions into the CAA Radio topic circuit thread. D: *goes off to do that*
Image
User avatar
goldenspines
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:42 am
Location: Up north somewhere.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:52 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467052) wrote:
(1) Cut those silences, please. I have mentioned this before, but I'm pretty sure silence takes up 10-12% of the show. If I'm right, that's over 10 minutes. I don't think this task would be too difficult.

(2) Cut out the "Ummmm"s and the "Hang on, lemme look this up". These moments usually lead into silences, and they are distracting in and of themselves.

(3) Skype noises...gotta go. I'm unsure if there's a simple solution for this, but, again, that sort of thing is pretty distracting.

(4) Change vocal habits. Mech does this thing at the end of a lot of his sentences...like a sharp intake of breath, and then he will pause. It's the sort of thing they teach not to do in speech class b/c the audience will focus on your habit rather than what you're saying, which is what I find myself doing at times. I hope people do not take this like I am being mean...again just offering helpful criticism/input.


Agree completely with all of the above.

As a general note, I think it would be a good idea to just not review 1970s shows anymore, as it's well-established by now that you guys aren't into older stuff.


This, too. Frankly, it irritates me to hear you guys watch one episode of an old series and have little to say about it other than "lol it's old". I am disappoint. :< Maybe watch some newer stuff if you can? I know that the Let's Watch options are limited because Andrew is in Korea, but...*shrug*
fightin' in the eighties
User avatar
ShiroiHikari
 
Posts: 7564
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 12:00 pm
Location: Somewhere between 1983 and 1989

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:50 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1467087) wrote: I wouldn't dismiss internal consistency as an irrelevant argument.
Imagine that the great J.R.R. Tolkien was still alive. Say he decided, decades after publishing his magnum opus. LOTR, that he wanted to further expand the Middle Earth universe by writing a few more books Not only that, he felt that he'd like to alter a few details concerning certain aspects of the history of a select number of characters. So, in dialogs and flashbacks, there is a variant retelling of certain events of the Middle Earth universe; thus, Tolkein's universe ceases to be wholly consistent.

Does this change your opinion about the quality of the LOTR trilogy?

This is the part that I'm not understanding. I understand that the notion of EU appeals to you. However, I still hit a wall with your argument. Does the lack of a wholly consistent (I think this phrase is probably more fair than "It lacks any internal consistency") extended universe (recall that inconsistency does not occur within the narrative in question) bear on the quality of a single, self-contained narrative w/i that universe? How can Harlock be adversely affected by other stories that are not necessary to it? Do the star Wars prequels make Empire a worse film or do they just damage the Star Wars universe? I'm inclined to agree w/ the latter.

I think that, in order to fairly evaluate the quality of an individual work, there is a need to separate a meta-universe from the individual narratives that it contains. A person's body may be in poor health overall due to, say, cancer; however, if we consider their right arm alone, its health may be of high quality.

Can we condemn the Leji-verse? Yes. Absolutely. But, we must consider it as a metaverse, as its own entity. I believe that, rather than reflecting the quality of Harlock, your criticism can be fairly leveled at the Leji-verse and at Matsumoto himself.

ALSO: what blkmage said about first Gundam and invincible prototypes.
User avatar
TheSubtleDoctor
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:48 am
Location: Region 1

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:12 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467052) wrote:(1) Cut those silences, please. I have mentioned this before, but I'm pretty sure silence takes up 10-12% of the show. If I'm right, that's over 10 minutes. I don't think this task would be too difficult.

(2) Cut out the "Ummmm"s and the "Hang on, lemme look this up". These moments usually lead into silences, and they are distracting in and of themselves.

(3) Skype noises...gotta go. I'm unsure if there's a simple solution for this, but, again, that sort of thing is pretty distracting.


Here's the deal with this. We can do our best to improve on this in show, and I'm pretty sure we can figure out the skype noises and eliminate those. But, I've been in the process of trying to clean up the interview segments over the last few months, a project that was delayed by another job that came up and ate my free time. To clean them to my satisfaction, I had to listen to the interviews 5-7 times. Am I satisfied with the pauses and gaps in the episodes? Not particularly, but if we get really careful with it, unless there are automated methods of cleanup for this sort of thing that I'm not aware of, it would take around 15 hours to sweep the podcast thoroughly.

We can do this, and maybe Link can find more automated methods of sweeping the show, or we can find a way for me and him to tag team so we don't have to go through it so many times, but odds on it will delay the releases dramatically, to the point that we'll be talking about current anime weeks after the episodes came out... even the most recent episodes when we recorded.

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467052) wrote:(4) Change vocal habits. Mech does this thing at the end of a lot of his sentences...like a sharp intake of breath, and then he will pause. It's the sort of thing they teach not to do in speech class b/c the audience will focus on your habit rather than what you're saying, which is what I find myself doing at times. I hope people do not take this like I am being mean...again just offering helpful criticism/input.


Maybe I'm just being annoyed for being singled out, but this does seem a bit much. I can try to move my mic around to reduce the pop, but aside from dedicated vocal training, which I'm not really capable of scheduling or paying for currently, this is just a vocal tic that I have. I'm not a public speaker by trade or profession outside of short customer service interactions, and I don't really know a speech therapist or a speech coach that's willing to work for free, so other than attempting to be conscious of it I can't really do much about it, unless someone wants to post edit them out like I've tried to in the redux versions of the interviews. I'm glad none of the hosts or guests have had a stutter or something truly debilitating, because I can't imagine what sort of comments we'd get about that.

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467052) wrote:As a general note, I think it would be a good idea to just not review 1970s shows anymore, as it's well-established by now that you guys aren't into older stuff.


I actually liked Harlock and was planning to watch more of it, and I'm still excited for the movie. I guess. I didn't chime in as much as I should have. I also think saying that we don't like older shows based on the fact that some of us don't like two of them is a little... early? We've only reviewed two of them total.
Image

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
User avatar
mechana2015
 
Posts: 5025
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Orange County

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:38 am

I'd just like to pop in and remind everyone that what we do on the Podcast is for fun! Our opinions are our own and nothing we say is ever guranteed to be the same opinion you all have.

That said, I don't remember saying I didn't like Captain Harlock because it was "old" I was surprised that we used it as a Lets Watch, however. And it sounds like we all generally found the show to be entertaining on some level. And there are even some "new" anime that we don't really like. But I found it to be amusing.

I'd give it another shot, but the fact is, there are other shows that I'd like to watch right now (as I said in the show) If there comes a day where I'm totally out of anime to watch or something I may give it another go.

And about the critiques, they are all well and good, but none of us on the Cast are professionals, we are normal people just like you guys who are just trying to have fun and bring you something interesting to listen to. ^^;
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
User avatar
ChristianKitsune
 
Posts: 5420
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby goldenspines » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:47 am

Oi wow, I need to read SubtleDoctor's posts more often. o.O
While telling someone there's a problem is nice and all, giving them a solution is more helpful than anything.
Knowing how most of the podcast members sound outside the podcast, they all do a fantastic job getting into their "radio voices" and taking the podcast very seriously, but still maintaining a non-robotic feel (which is important to stay away from, unless you enjoy that sort of thing).
Is Skype the best recording equipment? No. But it's one of the best things out there unless you want to spend lots of money.
The podcast members are creating CAA Radio voluntarily. They don't get paid for it. So, if you wanted to go buy everyone in the podcast super awesome high quality mics, I'm sure they wouldn't complain.

Also, try speaking for an hour (or more) without a formal script (so you don't sound robotic) and see how many "ummmms" you come up with. Even great improv speakers have "umms" in there.


Anyways, that aside, Captain Harlock sounds like many comic book characters. Depending on the author, their back stories change a bit. XD And while I'm not a fan of older animation, the podcast didn't sway me from at least checking it out.
But, I'm watching Trigun right now, so maybe after that. ^_^
Image
User avatar
goldenspines
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:42 am
Location: Up north somewhere.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 am

I sincerely hope that I did not come across as thinking the show sucks or not appreciating the work you guys put into it. If this was the impression I made, I apologize. The criticism I made was, I thought, constructive and made in the spirit of a fan of the show who would only like to see it get better. I was under the impression that such a critique not only wouldn't bother the presenters but was welcome. Should the suggestions I made turn out to be impossible to apply, que cera cera. I will still listen =).
mechana2015 (post: 1467117) wrote:We can do this, and maybe Link can find more automated methods of sweeping the show, or we can find a way for me and him to tag team so we don't have to go through it so many times, but odds on it will delay the releases dramatically, to the point that we'll be talking about current anime weeks after the episodes came out... even the most recent episodes when we recorded.
This really isn't a problem for you guys though is it? From what I've heard, most episodes you spend talking about non-current shows.
mechana2015 (post: 1467117) wrote:Maybe I'm just being annoyed for being singled out, but this does seem a bit much. I can try to move my mic around to reduce the pop, but aside from dedicated vocal training, which I'm not really capable of scheduling or paying for currently, this is just a vocal tic that I have. I'm not a public speaker by trade or profession outside of short customer service interactions, and I don't really know a speech therapist or a speech coach that's willing to work for free, so other than attempting to be conscious of it I can't really do much about it
Whoa, I wasn't suggesting anything that drastic, and I don't think such action would be called for to make slight adjustments. We all have vocal tics and habits we fall into, and, often, changing them is only a matter of someone pointing them out to us b/c we aren't even aware of them. You don't need professional training to make minor alterations and/or drop vocal habits. Most freshmen college speech courses "correct" such things like so: "Hey, you do this. Don't do it when you're speaking to an audience." I didn't mean any of the above as a personal knock. As I said, everyone has these things.
mechana2015 (post: 1467117) wrote:I'm glad none of the hosts or guests have had a stutter or something truly debilitating, because I can't imagine what sort of comments we'd get about that.
mechana....come on. (1) There is no comparison between a vocal habit and a speech impediment and making one seems inappropriate. (2) The only reason I made the suggestion in the first place was because you don't have a speech impediment and are quite capable of making changes in this area. (3) Do you think I am that much of a callus jerk? It seems so...For the record, I would not complain about someone's speech or voice who was physically impaired. sigh.
goldenspines (post: 1467130) wrote:Oi wow, I need to read SubtleDoctor's posts more often. o.O
Is this a compliment? I am unsure =).
goldenspines (post: 1467130) wrote:The podcast members are creating CAA Radio voluntarily. They don't get paid for it. So, if you wanted to go buy everyone in the podcast super awesome high quality mics, I'm sure they wouldn't complain.
None of the suggestions I posed have anything to do w/ actual sound quality. Everyone sounds fine, and I don't presume to ask anyone to spend money on the show. My criticisms had everything to do with post production.
goldenspines (post: 1467130) wrote:Also, try speaking for an hour (or more) without a formal script (so you don't sound robotic) and see how many "ummmms" you come up with. Even great improv speakers have "umms" in there.
Goodness. As a college professor, I am very aware that such a feat is nigh-impossible. Again, I was speaking about post-production editing. Of course people will stutter, stammer and umm during the initial recording. I was only asking that such things be edited out afterward. I do not feel that this is impossible.
User avatar
TheSubtleDoctor
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:48 am
Location: Region 1

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:04 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467162) wrote:This really isn't a problem for you guys though is it? From what I've heard, most episodes you spend talking about non-current shows.


I was mostly referencing the 'what have you been watching segment at the beginning which, up until this episode has included some talk on shows that had episodes released up to the day the podcast recorded. This show was a bit different since there hadn't been show releases for about a week before it already due to the earthquake, but normally once it releases we're talking about things that are less than a week old still for at least part of the show. The other reason is that we used to get severe complaints when editing delayed shows, though that was due to the podcast being more centered around forum topics, most of which were dead and buried by the time the podcast was posted. Maybe I'm just carrying over the aversion to delays from the previous incarnation of the show, but since the release delays were part of the reason the show died off previously, I feel a bit justified in being concerned about anything that pushes releases back by more than a couple days.

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467162) wrote:Whoa, I wasn't suggesting anything that drastic, and I don't think such action would be called for to make slight adjustments. We all have vocal tics and habits we fall into, and, often, changing them is only a matter of someone pointing them out to us b/c we aren't even aware of them. You don't need professional training to make minor alterations and/or drop vocal habits. Most freshmen college speech courses "correct" such things like so: "Hey, you do this. Don't do it when you're speaking to an audience."



I'd have to try to figure out what I'm doing physically when that happens in the recording. I'll see what I can do, but seriously it might take video or something to figure out the pattern... it's involuntary, and I only noticed it when I started trying to edit the older shows. I think it has to do with me running out of air at the end of sentences and trying to catch my breath afterwards, since I don't always do it. I've done public speech before (college, high school) and never gotten a comment about this so I'm betting that it's also partially due to having a mic all of 1-2 inches from all my breathing passages.


TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467162) wrote:I didn't mean any of the above as a personal knock. As I said, everyone has these things. mechana....come on.


It might have felt less personal if I wasn't the only person you mentioned or you found a better way of stating it or grouping it. The way it was said and positioned in the it made it sound like I was just another sound issue that was distracting from the entire show.

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467162) wrote:(1) There is no comparison between a vocal habit and a speech impediment and making one seems inappropriate. (2) The only reason I made the suggestion in the first place was because you don't have a speech impediment and are quite capable of making changes in this area. (3) Do you think I am that much of a callus jerk? It seems so...For the record, I would not complain about someone's speech or voice who was physically impaired. sigh.


As I said above what you mentioned is involuntary and I'm not even sure how to go about stopping it aside from trying to edit myself while on the air, which could result in a lot more fumbling.

I have several friends who've had to go through speech therapy to correct things like stutters, and unless they asked for help with it the best thing to do for them was to not make them nervous by pointing out the issue when they had trouble with it since that seemed to compound it.

This being the internet, I wasn't really sure if people would go further if we ever did have the occasion where there was a guest or a member of the hosting staff with such an issue, so yes, I guess I did presume that 3 was possible. I don't know you, so I'm honestly not that certain about what you meant by it. I'm sorry if that came across as rude, but I didn't exactly appreciate getting singled out, and I'd feel worse if someone felt they could take that sort of liberty with a guest.

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467162) wrote:None of the suggestions I posed have anything to do w/ actual sound quality. Everyone sounds fine, and I don't presume to ask anyone to spend money on the show. My criticisms had everything to do with post production. Goodness. As a college professor, I am very aware that such a feat is nigh-impossible. Again, I was speaking about post-production editing. Of course people will stutter, stammer and umm during the initial recording. I was only asking that such things be edited out afterward. I do not feel that this is impossible.


If we can find the 12-15 unpaid work hours/show to do it, I'll see if we can. I'm already trying to clean up the backlog of interviews and got stalled out by a freelance graphic design project, and those are MUCH shorter undertakings.

That being said I'll see if I can try to block in some time and persuade Link to let me have at least 1 pass at the show if I can find the time and see if we can feasibly play volleyball with the file across the country, and if I can find a 4 hour block to listen through it while editing, though since our most recent show ended at nearly midnight EST, that might get a little difficult to schedule out without making the delay at least 5 days from recording.
Image

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
User avatar
mechana2015
 
Posts: 5025
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Orange County

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:45 am

mech, I do apologize for singling you out. In retrospect, you're right that it probably wasn't the most sensitive way to state my opinion. I should have just made a generalization about vocal patterns. And seriously. I would never be critical about someone's voice who couldn't do anything to change it. True, this is the internet, but it is also CAA =). Not the place where you'd have long time members making fun of impairments. I feel like I've mostly given the impression in the past year and a half that I'm a decent guy.

Though I don't want anyone losing sleep or packing their day to the point of stress, I personally would prefer a quality over quantity approach. If it's a couple of extra weeks before a new pod comes out but said pod is leaner, trimmer and cleaner, then I'd be all for that. This is just one man's opinion, however. If the majority of the audience enjoys the current level of quality, then you really have no obligation to add tasks to your already busy lives. Also: I wasn't aware of the reasons for the last pod's demise, so your experience likely trumps my own point of view.

EDIT*: Though I am apparently a "big meanie," for offering feedback, let it be known that I do enjoy the show and its hosts. Thanks for making the show.
User avatar
TheSubtleDoctor
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:48 am
Location: Region 1

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:11 pm

The thing is, we already release once a month and if we are doing really, really good, twice a month. So pushing back the show because of edits by a "couple of weeks" would mean probably the repeat of the last form of the show: an end to it.

I understand the "Ums and Silence" isn't ideal but it is real. Perhaps we could rehearse or something, but that would come across as staged and fake. And it already takes several hours to plan and record.

So its pretty much what everyone wants: Is everyone okay with waiting several weeks to get a podcast that is probably dated? Or can people take what we do for what its worth. A group of anime fans, who are members of CAA, and who are really doing this because we want it to be fun for everyone. We aren't paid for it, we are hardly trained for it, and many times we sacrifice a lot so we can bring this show to you all.

We really appreciate everyone listening to us if it wasn't for you guys we wouldn't have this show.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
User avatar
ChristianKitsune
 
Posts: 5420
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:24 pm

ChristianKitsune (post: 1467119) wrote:I'd just like to pop in and remind everyone that what we do on the Podcast is for fun! Our opinions are our own and nothing we say is ever guranteed to be the same opinion you all have.
The only member of the podcast who has ever asserted their opinion was more than just an opinion is me. As I've conveniently never expressed an opinion on anything Leiji Matsumoto-related ever, you guys are safe until I get back to the states and find out how terrible it is.

Then you can complain about how we hate 70s television.[quote="ChristianKitsune (post: 1467119)"]And about the critiques, they are all well and good, but none of us on the Cast are professionals, we are normal people just like you guys who are just trying to have fun and bring you something interesting to listen to. ^^]I think there's room for critique even with this being a hobby of ours, but obviously there's an applicable limit to it. Assorted "Ums" and "Ahs" and silence we can work with; verbal tics we've had since we learned how to talk, probably not going anywhere. Editing is a separate beast entirely.

Also, I had no idea Subtle Doctor was a college professor.
User avatar
Fish and Chips
 
Posts: 4415
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:45 pm

TSD wrote:Stuff about how he appreciates the work of the hosts, enjoys the show, and doesn't want to add unnecessary work to the busy lives of the hosts.
OK, I think that did it. Now surely the hosts will know that I---Wait]Is everyone okay with waiting several weeks to get a podcast that is probably dated? Or can people take what we do for what its worth. A group of anime fans, who are members of CAA, and who are really doing this because we want it to be fun for everyone. We aren't paid for it, we are hardly trained for it, and many times we sacrifice a lot so we can bring this show to you all.[/QUOTE]Sigh. Fine, fine. I'll be your (pantomime) villain.

Image

NO MORE FUN! PODCAST UNIVERSITY FOR ALL OF YOU!! YOU MUST PURCHASE HIGH QUALITY MICROPHONES! SACRIFICES!! BWAHAHA! XD
Fish and Chips (post: 1467195) wrote:Editing is a separate beast entirely.
Do you mean separate from my comments about silences, umms and hang ons? If so, you are incorrect, since I was making a point about editing out such "excess fat."
Fish and Chips (post: 1467195) wrote:find out how terrible it is
Not even a little bit.
Also, I had no idea Subtle Doctor was a college professor.
Now, if only you all could judge me on the quality of my teaching =).

Image

I split my time between being an adjunct prof. (teaching philosophy and logic) and a reference librarian.
User avatar
TheSubtleDoctor
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:48 am
Location: Region 1

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:01 pm

idk, I think you might be underestimating how much time and effort it takes to edit stuff as small as that, especially in a 2+ hour podcast and if it occurs a lot
User avatar
blkmage
 
Posts: 4529
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:40 pm

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:08 pm

blkmage (post: 1467207) wrote:idk, I think you might be underestimating how much time and effort it takes to edit stuff as small as that, especially in a 2+ hour podcast and if it occurs a lot
This is probably true, since I've never edited a podast, though I have done my fair share of video editing, which takes ages if you want to get it right.

In fairness though, I did state above that I didn't want anyone to push themselves. I proposed a quality over quantity approach that wouldn't ask anyone to cram more editing hours into a day than they normally do. The idea would be to just use w/e editing time you normally to block off in a day to clean up the pod. Will editing take place over, say, 14 days rather than 5? Sure. Will this lengthen the time b/w releases? Yes. But I'd be OK with that.

However: I shall reiterate that this was just meant to be a helpful (or so I thought) suggestion. It's not a make-or-break issue...I just thought I'd get involved and put some feedback out there. Perhaps that was a mistake?
User avatar
TheSubtleDoctor
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:48 am
Location: Region 1

Postby Link Antilles » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Geez, we still talking about this, people? Here’s the simple solution: I need to move the podcast recording to my main computer. The computer I currently record on is an almost decade old XP machine. It is a single core system with a gig of RAM that seems to get slower by the day. I’ve gotten a BSoD many times by adding too many audio layers. Comrades, we are recording Soviet style. Heck, I’ve got the LAN cable barely holding in by electrical tape.

Like I said before: if I can record the show on my main computer (quad core system), I will be able to edit the show without worry. Hopefully, it’ll work fine. Knock on wood. We might get higher quality audio!

Anyway, I sincerely thank everyone for the feedback. Critiques and compliments a like. :thumb:
Image
User avatar
Link Antilles
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:00 am
Location: South Carolina

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:28 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467181) wrote:mech, I do apologize for singling you out. In retrospect, you're right that it probably wasn't the most sensitive way to state my opinion. I should have just made a generalization about vocal patterns.


Apology accepted. Thanks for being understanding as to why I got a bit upset.

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467181) wrote:And seriously. I would never be critical about someone's voice who couldn't do anything to change it. True, this is the internet, but it is also CAA =). Not the place where you'd have long time members making fun of impairments. I feel like I've mostly given the impression in the past year and a half that I'm a decent guy.


Unfortunately my experiences with C culture as a whole haven't given me any reason to expect respect for impairments or really... anything.

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467181) wrote:Though I don't want anyone losing sleep or packing their day to the point of stress, I personally would prefer a quality over quantity approach. If it's a couple of extra weeks before a new pod comes out but said pod is leaner, trimmer and cleaner, then I'd be all for that. This is just one man's opinion, however. If the majority of the audience enjoys the current level of quality, then you really have no obligation to add tasks to your already busy lives. Also: I wasn't aware of the reasons for the last pod's demise, so your experience likely trumps my own point of view.


I would love to have a cleaner leaner show without the unnecessary bits, which was why I started the redux project. Hopefully I can get better at catching things on the first listen and start getting those segments out faster.

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467181) wrote:EDIT*: Though I am apparently a "big meanie," for offering feedback, let it be known that I do enjoy the show and its hosts. Thanks for making the show.


We appreciate it, I think that there just might be a difference knowledge between the amount of effort put in the show and the amount of effort people think we put into the show, and that me be part of the annoyance some of the hosts are expressing.

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467201) wrote:Now, if only you all could judge me on the quality of my teaching =).
I split my time between being an adjunct prof. (teaching philosophy and logic) and a reference librarian.


You really don't want to know what currently think of college professors.

(currently works as staff at a college bookstore, and spring rush is coming)
Image

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
User avatar
mechana2015
 
Posts: 5025
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Orange County

Postby goldenspines » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:23 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1467162) wrote:Is this a compliment? I am unsure =).
Yes, it was. Also, your posts are more fun with images.
None of the suggestions I posed have anything to do w/ actual sound quality. Everyone sounds fine, and I don't presume to ask anyone to spend money on the show. My criticisms had everything to do with post production.
My only point was post production equipment costs as well.
Goodness. As a college professor, I am very aware that such a feat is nigh-impossible. Again, I was speaking about post-production editing. Of course people will stutter, stammer and umm during the initial recording. I was only asking that such things be edited out afterward. I do not feel that this is impossible.
Without it sounding choppy, I see this as fairly impossible. With the exception of cutting out some of the silent moments. But I've never seen a huge need for it.

But I digress, I only posted again to clarify. I don't think you're a meanie, but I did think you were a bit unfair with your crits.
And finding out you're a college professor makes those images you posted all the more enjoyable.
Image
User avatar
goldenspines
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:42 am
Location: Up north somewhere.

Postby GeneD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm a little late in the game, but I have to drop by and say that the podcast was fantastic and I enjoyed it very much.

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs, you made a really good guest. I've noticed sometimes the guest's don't always participate that much beyond the interview, but you really did and your contributions were very entertaining. Top notch, Sir.

Thanks to the hosts for such an awesome show and all the webcomic recommendations that will keep me too busy for boring things like work and real life. *Goes off to archive-binge.

EDIT: I've been listening to the Working OP song almost constantly for 3 days straight. XD
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
User avatar
GeneD
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:43 am
Location: South.


Return to CAA Radio and Gamecasts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest