CAA Radio – Episode 28 – “When Pigs Flyâ€Â

The anime/manga/forums podcast

CAA Radio – Episode 28 – “When Pigs Flyâ€

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:00 pm

In this show, we have a special guest from Canada (who could it be?!), talk about anime ranging from slice of life to sports, and much more!

You can directly download the show from this link: Right Click and Save As. Or stream the show (and check out the new logo!) from here.
Link Antilles

Postby goldenspines » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Link Antilles (post: 1429474) wrote:In this show, we have a special guest from Canada (who could it be?!), talk about anime ranging from slice of life to sports, and much more!

You can directly download the show from this link: Right Click and Save As. Or stream the show (and check out the new logo!) from here.

Ten bucks says I know who the special guest is before even listening. O:

*goes to download the episode anyways~*

BBL with a real comment. XD;
goldenspines

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:44 am

Fish.

You're right. I can't believe you actually like something that I like too! We never agree on this sort of thing b/c we have such wildly dissimilar tastes.

...Except when it comes to Giant Robo. We both love and adore that anime very much...

...And Casshern Sins, as well. Yeah, I remember us commiserating about that show. Good times...

...Ooo, and the One Piece manga. We both think it's fantastic fun...

...Also Bebop, Champloo, Berser--

HEY! You tricked me, Fish! In reality we agree on quite a bit and have VERY similar tastes!

In all seriousness, I think people tend to remember my negative posts or disagreements (*coughLASTEXILEcough*) with them more than any positive posts/agreement. I always thought you had excellent taste, Fish and that we agreed, on the whole, about anime/manga.

---

Great show all!

Nice to finally hear blkmage on the show. Thought it would have happened sooner, but such is the schedule of Toronto's resident math wizard. Good knowledge provided (as usual) on all the anime/manga you mentioned.

Fish, were you referring to the Dianoga in the Shadows of the Empire sewer level? I hope so, b/c that reference made me so happy...they scared the heck out of me as a young lad too!

Glad you all watched and (tentatively) liked Giant Killing. Though it is ugly (if those noses bother you, then stay out of the Lejiverse), and makes poor use of CG, it is a really good show (especially if you haven't seen a ton of sports anime). Mech/Link, the interpersonal stuff does drive the show quite a bit, so fear not.

Also:Image

CK, speak up! When you trail off, I can barely hear you =). And the public needs to hear you. I hope you will talk about Rainbow in depth at some point. Maybe I'll PM you about it later. It is a fantastic show that I think everyone on the pod would enjoy. Also, regarding your claim about the Engrish in anime...you haven't seen the Durarara!! Special yet have you?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:06 am

Halfway through the podcast you suggested that we should say what kind of anime the CAA would be. It was a suggestion I just could not refuse.

If the CAA was an anime, it would be a mystery-action Shōnen, and will begin with Link organising a massive get-together (after supposedly winning the Eurolottery, which can go up to a 100 million euros and can be entered by almost anyone) for about a 100 members of the CAA chosen by lottery as well). The Podcast gang are, naturally, pre-selected. The CAA get-together will take place on the Island of Palamalamalam in the South Pacific, to which they all travel in complete luxury, except for Mr Smarty Pants, who had to study and subsequently remains in the US. The island itself is small, has about a 1000 locals and the 'Club Dread' they going to stay at looks suspiciously like a military compound.

When all the members of the CAA are there Link reveals that all these years his membership has been a ruse, and that he is actually an ascended ancient from the dawn of time, a survivor of Atlantis. He is over a 1000 years old and that explains why he wears Hawaiian shirts.He then tells them that soon an evil entity from beyond time and space will insinuate itself into the universe, particular our neck of the galactic wood and we, the CAA, need to save Earth to save all else. Each of the members have been chosen because each of them have to potential to contribute to the fight with latent powers that he will learn them to awaken, and he knows this because he did a lot of Kabballah stuff as well as illegal blood tests. A lot of people are upset by this revelation, but Link presses forth that time is off the essence and he will prove all of this to them. He just needs to go get his things from the vault because they have no time to loose. Despite his words an hour is lost.

When he fails to return Fish and Mech goes to check, only to find he's been killed with a samurai sword made of obsidian glass. Because both are genre savvy they realize that one of the CAA members may be a traitor, assuming everything Link babbled about is real.

Some of the members of the CAA, however, are skeptical about all this and see it as an elaborate prank gone wrong, until the news reports over CNN start coming in.A strange red cloud is slowly spreading over the world as we know it, covering city, blacking out power and communication. It begins in Europe and spreads swifty across Western Russia, the Middle East, North Africa while an independent red cloud begins in South America, the United States and Africa, Australia and China. Soon all of the world superpowers are covered, leaving CNN to broadcast only from regional offices on Hawaii. For reasons unclear at this stage the cloud only moves on land and is intimidated by large bodies of water, making the islands of the world safe from the clouds, for now.

Soon the 100 members elect Mech as president. He appoints K-Chan his Minister of Communication, selects Fish to be the Minister of Research; his job would be to wade through Link's things in order to find out what he can about whats going on. Meanwhile, Blkmage and BigsleepJ are to investigate the murder of Link Antilles and discover who the killer is. Fish discovers that Link kept detailed dossiers on every member of the CAA, and mumbled something to himself about 'games' being a euphemism for 'invasion of privacy'.

Three days pass. Fish has read through all the files dilligently and discovered exactly what each power of the CAA member is and what it could do to help fight the red cloud. He has, however, discovered nothing that could indicate what exactly the red cloud is and how it ties with the 'entity' Link mentioned. Having built the story enough by now a robotic octopoid monster suddenly comes from the sea and begins to attack their compound. After a large battle the monster is pinned down and its heart destroyed. They decide to open the headcasing to see how it works. However, opening it reveals its brains to be... THE HEAD OF MR SMARTY PANTS! And everybody is like "Whooah!" And then the head begins to talk. "What's going on...? I can't feel my toes...."

Meanwhile BigsleepJ is hiding evidence from Blkmage because, dun dun duuh, a video he has shows that it was he who killed Link with the obsidian sword. Only problem is he can't remember doing the actual deed, and he needs to determine if he's guilty or not, in true Phillip K Dick fashion.

Don't forget to tune into the next episode random mecha monstrosities try to retrieve the head of Mr Smarty Pants while Nate and Shiroi discover their powers.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:19 pm

Oh gosh, Jay, that was awesome! XD I reallly enjoyed reading that, and the sudden reveal at the end was epic! :D

XD And when I "trail off" it's mostly because I'm like "okay, rambling... the guys have more important things to say for the moment..." Sorry about that!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Saved Gamer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:09 am

Bigsleepj. That was, quite frankly, awesome. This story needs to be made into something.
Saved Gamer

Postby goldenspines » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:15 am

I love the new logo for the podcast. :D It was a pleasant surprise on my ipod screen. Nice design, Mech. ^__^

I agree with Blkmage's evaluation of how a second season of Ouran anime would go. I mean, I personally love both the anime and the manga, but in two different ways. XD

I was going to take a stab at what type of anime CAA would be like, but I can't say anything that would rival Johnnie's idea. XD; That was brilliant. I want to hear the next episode. 8D

Ouran spoiler cast! Podcast members as Ouran characters! \o.o/
I dunno, I’d be interested. >_>

Great episode, guys! Blkmage was a fantastic guest. Even though I'm not terribly interested in math, I think I would read a slice of life manga about math/engineering students. XD
goldenspines

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:22 am

Interesting fact about Ashita no Joe (Tomorrow's Joe), since you guys referenced it: Apparently it is one of the top three anime that Japanese people think Americans should watch, according to a survey often alluded to be AWO's Daryl Surat.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:36 am

Wikipedia wrote:In computing, memoization is an optimization technique used primarily to speed up computer programs by having function calls avoid repeating the calculation of results for previously-processed inputs. Memoization has also been used in other contexts (and for purposes other than speed gains), such as in simple mutually-recursive descent parsing in a general top-down parsing algorithm that accommodates ambiguity and left recursion in polynomial time and space. Although related to caching, memoization refers to a specific case of this optimization, distinguishing it from forms of caching such as buffering or page replacement. In the context of some Logic Programming languages, memoization is also known as tabling.

Also, a summary of how my tastes have changed:
blkmage

Postby ich1990 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:22 pm

Nice logo!

I enjoyed the discussion much, although would have liked to hear a bit more about LotGH. I am pretty much already sold on it, but need a little prodding before I attempt to start such a massive series.

I have a feeling that a math/engineering student slice of life would be either incredibly boring, or incredibly awesome, and I haven't decided which. At times I think: why in the world would anyone want to follow my (or my classmate's) life..... and then I think about the time when we discovered that the resonant frequencies of each of our rooms was different--and proceeded to use bass speakers to blast each other from several floors/rooms away (with those in between hardly noticing). Or the time when we demonstrated that explosive shocks travel better through water than through air. Or when we attempted to supercool water inside a supersoaker to make the ultimate weapon.....Yeah, it could work.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:38 pm

goldenspines (post: 1429904) wrote:I was going to take a stab at what type of anime CAA would be like, but I can't say anything that would rival Johnnie's idea. XD]

I would still like to hear yours, and I'm sure everybody else would like to too. Give it a shot!

Saved Gamer (post: 1429866) wrote:Bigsleepj. That was, quite frankly, awesome. This story needs to be made into something.

goldenspines (post: 1429904) wrote:That was brilliant. I want to hear the next episode. 8D

Heh. I'm not sure how I'd be able to 'make' this into something. I don't have the time or skills to draw it up. The best I can do is summerize the episodes, but other than that I have no real wish to pursue this seriously. I have, creatively, too much on my back right now.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GeneD » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:03 pm

So I’ve seen the first ep of High School of the Dead, should I just go ahead and add it as completed on MAL?

Wow, Link wasn’t kidding when he said there’s going to be a lot of games mentioned. They were just popping up everywhere.

You guys had awesome ideas for a “real placeâ€
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby blkmage » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:34 pm

It's time for Funimation'sFailureToRenderServicesPromisedWatch:

Still going strong, I see.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:34 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1429675) wrote:HEY! You tricked me, Fish! In reality we agree on quite a bit and have VERY similar tastes!

In all seriousness, I think people tend to remember my negative posts or disagreements (*coughLASTEXILEcough*) with them more than any positive posts/agreement. I always thought you had excellent taste, Fish and that we agreed, on the whole, about anime/manga.
I think what it is is that interruptions draw people's attention more fiercely than anything else. You by a new book from a shop, and out of all the crisp, clean pages the only one you notice is the corner that's already dog-eared. Things like that, that interrupt the flow of your perception.

People, in general, like Last Exile. If I too liked Last Exile it would probably barely register, since naturally Last Exile is something that is liked. Probably I'd mention it in a thread and someone would remark that they didn't even know I'd watched Last Exile, even though I talked about it not even a week earlier.

But I don't like Last Exile. I rather dislike it. Currently it's probably one of the worst Anime I've ever seen for reasons X, Y, and Z, but people stopped listening at "I don't like Last Exile," so whatever else I say is an inexplicable character assassination of a show nobody fully remembers watching but everyone fully remembers liking, and we just can't have that.

Plus, Fish is critical and mean and someone needs to take him down a notch so he isn't so high on his horse.
TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1429675) wrote:Fish, were you referring to the Dianoga in the Shadows of the Empire sewer level? I hope so, b/c that reference made me so happy...they scared the heck out of me as a young lad too!
THOSE THINGS.

THOSETHINGS.
TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1429675) wrote:Glad you all watched and (tentatively) liked Giant Killing. Though it is ugly (if those noses bother you, then stay out of the Lejiverse)
I'm sorry, I can't hear this post over the fact that I read Fukumoto regularly.

The art in Giant Killing is great.
Fish and Chips

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:04 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1431409 wrote:Fish is critical and mean and someone needs to take him down a notch so he isn't so high on his horse.
I'm sayin'.

...Mr. Meanpants.
Fish wrote:THOSE THINGS.

THOSETHINGS.
They were...no, they are terrifying.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Furen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Just listening to this tonight, finally, and to the person who joined due to math jokes, that was me, though I didn't join because of the math jokes, it was just a bonus.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Return to CAA Radio and Gamecasts