Gamecast - Episode 60 - "Historic Smackdown!"

The anime/manga/forums podcast

Gamecast - Episode 60 - "Historic Smackdown!"

Postby Link Antilles » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:41 pm

In this show, we talk about Dissidia, Batman, and fighting games based on classic literature. You know, the usual.

Stream the show from here or download it directly from here.

Question the Audience:

If you were to make an historic or classical literature based fighting game, what would it be about?
Link Antilles

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:52 am

Literary Team-up: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.
The battle for Russia come down to the other war of 1812. Choose from any of the approximately 580 characters from the novel (historic and otherwise) to duke it out on the Russian steppes or in the flames of a burning Moscow. Special Unlockable characters include Raskalnikov from Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.

Historic Event: The Cuban Missile Crises.
The cold war is about to get extra-hot! Nuclear weapons are so messy, so why not put brawn before intercontinental ballistic missiles? Robert S McNamara, Lyndon B Johnson and JFK tackle Castro, Ché Guevara and Khrushchev on the beaches of the Bay of Pigs as well as the White House War Room. Unlockable characters include a marlin-wielding Ernest Hemmingway, for some reason.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Omega Amen » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:33 pm

Now that's what I am talking about!

You can always count on bigsleepj for big money ideas.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:41 pm

The literary fighting game discussion was one of the best in a good while. Let me see what comes to mind...

Literary: The Man Who Was Thursday by GK Chesterton

Who wouldn't want to fight as one of the members of the Council of Days? Presumably Sunday would be off limits or an unlockable character, but otherwise there would be a highly distinct set of characters. Also, I would expect (nay, demand) special attacks so surreal as to put Lewis Carol to shame.

Historic:

I'm envisioning the dissolution of the Mongol Empire in Mortal Kombat style. You wouldn't have to go all that far outside of historical reality to come up with your fatalities/brutalities. Story modes vary based on character, but all end fighting Kublai Khan and then the zombie version of Genghis himself.
uc pseudonym

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:25 pm

It's been a while since I've answered one of these, but here we go... ^_^

Classic literature based fighting game: I can think of none other than the works of William Shakespeare. Hamlet versus MacBeth would be truly an epic battle, as might Romeo versus Brutus. Unlockable characters might include Julius Caesar and *insert your favorite character here*. :)

Historic based fighting game: At first I was tempted to follow the lead of whomever it was that said US presidents and suggest Canadian prime ministers, but then I thought of something better -- famous Old Testament warriors. Samson versus Goliath would truly be epic. ^__^

On another note, this is the first episode that I've listened to in a long time, and I'd like to compliment you guys on the great improvement in the sound quality since the last time I heard you. Well done. :thumb:
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby ich1990 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:58 pm

Literary Fighting Game: The Ball and the Cross by G.K. Chesterton.

Play as Evan MacIan (Catholic) or James Turnbull (Atheist) as they fight the duel of a century across dozens of battlefields, from an ocean seaside to the streets of London. All fights are free flowing over massive battlefields, dally too long and your game will be ended by the police. As each character fights the Indignation Meter fills and, once full, lets you unleash a cinematic special attack --complete with witty verbal diatribes that do more damage than any sword strike. Father Michael and Professor Lucifer are unlockable characters whose special attacks include Fire from Heaven and Airship Bombardment. Once story mode is completed up to the Insane Asylum level, the game changes to two player co-op: grab a friend and fight against the world's complacency. While you are at it, stay on the lookout for other hidden characters like The Pagan who comes with his own sacrificial altar stage.

Literary Logic Puzzle Game: Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

You play as the Underground Man trying to perform simple tasks in an attempt to avoid meshing with society. Throughout your journey you must constantly lie to yourself and come up with new ways to increase your social tension meter. If you are so unfortunate as to let it drop below Existential Levels, you never make it to the final level, The Underground, where you must sit in the dark and use your wits to talk yourself out of suicide. Or not. You decide which is the happy ending.

Also, in the interest of pedantry Star Wars: The Force Unleashed for the Wii has a two player versus fighting mode.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby goldenspines » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:26 pm

Every so often, I listen to the gamecast. I was rather glad I did this time, though. Or maybe I'm just starting to appreciate the video game geekiness more than I was before; who knows.

All the classic books I could think of already had a video game made for them. I think a Three Musketeers fighting game with a twist (different setting perhaps?) would be nice, though.

I actually found a trailer Three Musketeers-"ish" game from a few years back(maybe longer), but it looked lame and isn't a fighting game. XD

But, great gamecast, as always, gentlemen.
goldenspines

Return to CAA Radio and Gamecasts