Gamecast - Episode 41 - "We'll save you money!"

The anime/manga/forums podcast

Gamecast - Episode 41 - "We'll save you money!"

Postby Link Antilles » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:17 pm

In this show, we discuss indie games, give a shout out to UC’s RPG, and Link rants about the bad games he played.

Download the show here: http://www.linkantilles.com/caagamecast/ or search "CAA Gamecast" on iTunes.
Link Antilles

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:57 pm

Fish and Chips

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:27 am

I just started listening, not gonna finish tonight (have a Japanese lesson to do) but First person storytelling and silent protagonists suck... Half Life 2 is a great story that's bogged down by the first person thing...

When people are talking, I'm tossing stuff at them with the gravity gun... I'm not paying attention to what they're saying half the time, because I'm wandering around looking at things... Now Portal, on the other hand, that was different. I don't know why it was, but it was... And, yes, Source is starting to show its age... The only thing is the pop-in is much less troublesome than Unreal Engine 3... If they could do the UE3 pretty without the pop-in, I'd be in heaven. Still, I think the drawback is that you have to do full loads whenever you go to a new area.... At least in the PS3 version... Worst port I've played on the PS3... I mean, the queen of loading screens, Heavenly Sword, at least covers up the loading screens with cutscenes... They have loading screens in freaking HALLWAYS on the PS3 Orange box... that's just BAD PLANNING... They could be loading the entire hallway. They have huge loads when you die and show up in the same room you were just in!!! Silent Hill: Homecoming is supposed to be Load Screen free on both PS3 and 360, the engine seems about on par with Source (So, yeah, SH:H looks dated)

Ritsuko-kun... Honto ni... ... BANG!

And the physics engine... IS HAVOK... I recognized it as soon as I started playing. Why do people talk about the HL2 engine? And FREAKING Force Unleashed! Also havok... Why do people talk about it like it's this incredible thing exclusive to HL2?

Sorry... Honestly, the deaths in Killzone look better than the rag dolls in Havok, but people still act like havok is so realistic... I heard that there have been football games with havok... Is that true? Ragdoll is like bloom or desaturation...

Ok... Since it took me so long to write this, I just got to the infinite undiscovery part... Let me say this: I watched the opening on youtube (didn't even realize it was out yet) and it looked like Final Fantasy 12... Then I switched to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX8y1cJv7lQ&feature=related

And it still looked like Final Fantasy 12... Let me say this... I have still not brought myself to beating FF12... I seriously hope FF13 is better than that...

Speaking of Stealth... Anyone play Siren yet? Maybe you have... Didn't listen to the whole thing yet... Onto my Japanese lesson.

EDIT: Ok, still listening... On the Mercs 2... I went to GDC and went to the seminar by the Pandemic... The guy basically said to all the game art students that they can ship our jobs overseas to romania where they can do our job for 10x cheaper and the only way any of us will get jobs is if we are master programmers in addition to speed modelers...

Hearing how much Mercs 2 sucks really brings joy to my heart. All the stuff you were saying about it reminded me of Haze... Falling through the ground, bad dialogue... I have to say, though... The "oh no you didn't" ad is pretty funny...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:59 pm

Sorry, Fish, I have replaced the game with a ten minute powerpoint presentation entitled "How to Escape Fiery Damnation - Accept Jesus or Burn." For anyone interested, it is available here:
[url=antagonist.theproject.us]antagonist.theproject.us[/url]

It is always interesting to hear what you guys think of various games, so I will be curious to learn your thoughts after playing mine. The engine is the Old Hamster Republic one, found here:
http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/index.php/Main_Page.html

As far as our discussion topic, I have played Cave Story. It was entertaining and had a surprising amount of depth given the short length. My only real complaint is that the requirements to get the best ending seem somewhat non-intuitive to me (going to save someone's life actually ends it) and I had to replay with that specifically in mind. The secret level is hard and I haven't been able to get my time all that low; offhand I can't remember my record.
uc pseudonym

Return to CAA Radio and Gamecasts