Gamecast - Episode 37 - "My Frequency 140.85"

The anime/manga/forums podcast

Gamecast - Episode 37 - "My Frequency 140.85"

Postby Link Antilles » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:53 pm

In this show, we talk about the raging Itagaki leaving Temco, Insomniac invading North Carolina, Qore, a certain little game coming out soon, and much more!

Grab the show here: http://www.linkantilles.com/caagamecast/ search "CAA Gamecast" on iTunes!

Question to the Audience:

How do you feel about product placement in games? Are there some games where you found it fitting? Any that could possibly benefit from it?
Link Antilles

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Great show! Though I am surprised it was so short. :)

How do you feel about product placement in games? Are there some games where you found it fitting? Any that could possibly benefit from it?

Considering how long and expensive game development is it might bring in funds that can help extend certain areas of the game design that, with normal budgets, have to be skipped if production goes on too long.

But, I'm sorry, I just don't like the idea of product placement. At all. Whenever I see something like a cell-phone randomly appearing within a blockbuster movie and the camera focusing on it so everyone in the audience can see its a Nokia I just want to throw something at the screen; probably the director.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:03 pm

On the other hand, I was glad to see this one was slightly shorter than usual. I actually had time to listen to it fairly quickly, but unfortunately when these threads are not bumped I tend to forget to leave a comment.

Question to the Audience:

I basically ignore commercials/billboards/ads in real life and I imagine I would do the same in a video game. Did GTAIV have real world product placement? If so, while playing for a while I didn't notice. That kind of environment allows for such things to feel comfortable, whereas I hope for the sake of all that is pure and holy that there are never Megaelixers brought to you by Coca Cola. But I can't think of how in-game advertising could actually improve the quality of the game.
uc pseudonym

Postby Yuen Fei Lung » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:52 pm

Awesome stuff guys! I'm looking forward to listening to more of your podcasts. I haven't gotten to play too much of MGS 4 (only about two hours) but I was VERY impressed with the two hours I did play.

I can understand why companies want to place restrictions on what can and can't be said in a review but yes indeed, it would be nice if the restrictions/requests they made made sense.
Yuen Fei Lung

Return to CAA Radio and Gamecasts