Gamecast - Episode 31 - "This is below stupid!"

The anime/manga/forums podcast

Gamecast - Episode 31 - "This is below stupid!"

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:36 pm

In this show, we talk about the Penny Arcade and IGN feud, wrap up the big games of the year, and discuss a huge story that could change the face of game journalism.

Click here to grab the show!

Question to the audience:
How much stock do you put into game reviews? Favorite sites or magazines?
Link Antilles

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:40 pm

I don't put stock into game reviews. I put game reviews in the stocks. :evil: Seriously, I generally don't read game reviews -- likely because I don't buy games any more. *is too busy making his own to play any* ;)
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:10 pm

I find game reviews provide valid criticism on a technical level (controls, graphics, bugs, etc) but the rest falls under personal taste. An outside opinion should be supplementary, not a substitute to your own.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:55 am

I generally listen to what metacritic has to say.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:08 pm

I take every game review with a grain of salt. These are opinions we're talking about. While there may be objective things (such as glitches), those almost never form the basis for a review. I mean, Gears has got some serious glitches, but people didn't drop its score for that, really.

Even metacritic... It's just an arbitrary average of arbitrary opinions... Even the numbering system is flawed, because for some a 3/5 rating (6/10) is average, for some 5/10 is average, for some 7.5 / 10 is average. That hurts those averaging systems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:26 pm

With final exams and papers finally over, I had time to listen to the podcast earlier today.

I tend to look at game reviews for very basic information and little else. What sub-genre does it fit into? Are there any major technical issues? What is the balance of quality story and quality gameplay? Those kinds of things I can usually tell from the text of the review regardless of the bias of the writer. Ratings and such aren't that significant to me.
uc pseudonym

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:30 pm

I have to say, I agree about too many people on Uncharted... And the "5 soldiers" problem on Heavenly Sword was clear in this too, since you see one of the guys dead on the spikes, and the same guy fights you later on, and again, and again...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:25 pm

I tend not to listen to very many game reviewers. Instead, I usually follow specific developers that I know produce games that I enjoy. Paying attention to who does what on a dev team can really pay off with gaming goodness.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Return to CAA Radio and Gamecasts