Gamecast - Episode 24 - "It's about time..."

The anime/manga/forums podcast

Gamecast - Episode 24 - "It's about time..."

Postby Link Antilles » Sat May 26, 2007 8:01 pm

E3 may be downsized, rightsized, delayized, and remodelized, but the news is still going! In this show, we talk about Star Craft II, the Ubisoft event, Nintendo's Summit, Sony's Gamers Day, and more!

Click here to grab the show!

Question to the Audience:

What two third-party characters would you like to see in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?
Link Antilles

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun May 27, 2007 2:35 am

Link Antilles wrote:Question to the Audience:

What two third-party characters would you like to see in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

Tempted to say Sonic, but since he's standing on unstable ground, think I'll stick with some other names. I want to suggest some Final Fantasy I-IV characters, but with the advent of Dissidia, that door is probably closed (although characters from Chrono Trigger might be an option).

So I'm going to say some characters from Banjo Kazooie or Eternal Darknes, possibly even from Skies of Arcadia, as it ported to GameCube. Haven't played the later two games (both on my list though), so feel free to shoot me down for it, but after looking into them, I think they'd both offer som interesting choices if played out to full potential.
Fish and Chips

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun May 27, 2007 3:08 am

I want Megaman and Bub and Bob... They count as one the same way as the Ice Climbers do...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby kryptech » Sun May 27, 2007 2:01 pm

I've yet to download the show (let alone listen to it), but I'm eager to hear more about Starcraft 2 - I was hoping that might be on the agenda for this Gamecast.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun May 27, 2007 4:10 pm

EDIT AFTER WATCHING SHOW:

Did I hear that Starcraft works for Mac? I might have to look that up.w

I'm going to break the rules here and post more than two third-party characters. Any two of them would be fine.

1. Cyborg Ninja from Metal Gear Solid: The Twin SnakesIf they're going to get rid of my main bishie Marth [which would irk me], they need another sword-only character to replace him. The Ninja would be an awesome complement to Snake, and I even have an idea for an alternate form ala Zero Suit Samus [although somewhat in reverse]. It's in a spoiler box because you have to pretty much beat the game [at least through your fight with REX] to know about it.

[spoiler] His alternate form could be with his mask open and his laser arm that he used to weaken REX before he sadly got squished. He wouldn't have his sword in this form, so it would be a reversal of Samus' transformation [where Samus goes from gun-heavy to melee-heavy, Grey Fox goes from a sword-swingin' ninja to a ninja with a laser]. Alternately, the laser could be his "Super Smash" attack. [/spoiler]

I would have said Raiden from MGS2, considering a] he's a bishie who eventually gets a sword, so he'd be an interesting replacement for Marth and b] Kojima named him Raiden after meeting me [I kid]. However, he wasn't on a Nintendo console.

2. Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden
I'm going to second Omega on this one. Ryu is the man. One of the main reasons I started going to the gym was because I want to be in good enough shape to cosplay Ryu. However, I'd actually like to see more of an anime version of Ryu in Brawl, rather than his Xbox version. I think he'd fit Brawl better that way. However, lots of people would likely want to kill me if they did that to Ryu, so . . . It would be interesting to find a way to integrate his arsenal beyond his sword as well as his ninpo.

3. Bomberman from . . . the Bomberman games.
I think I'll also support Link's suggestion, mostly because I'd love to see how the big N would integrate him into a button-smasher like Brawl. If done right, he could be a really neat character. I see him as being a character that SSBB experts would use to show their skill, ala Mr. Game and Watch.

4. OMGNARUTO!
Not really ~ Naruto irritates me. Rock Lee maybe. [^_~]

5. Toad from the Mario games
If Nintendo put Toad in as his own, playable character [not some lame shield for Peach, which is pretty twisted for someone who's supposed to be a sweet, loving ruler <_<], I would be incredibly psyched. I don't know exactly how he would work in combat, but I think something random and funny would be nice. Alternate skins could include a Shroob and a Shy Guy. In fact, I might play a Shy Guy as much as Toad.

CHARACTERS THAT SHOULD NOT COME BACK FROM MELEE:
~ Pichu* [a lame copy of Pikachu that DAMAGES ITSELF. If you cut Pichu, he'd bleed weaksauce.]
~ Young Link [Not different enough from grown-up Link, although comboing Fire Arrows into bombs was entertaining.]
~ Falco* [just a copy of Fox with a modded blaster]
~ Dr. Mario* [just a mildly modified Mario]
~ Ice Climbers [their ice is frozen weaksauce]
~ Marth or Roy* [note the asterisk]

* For the starred characters, I'd love to see them as skins for the characters they copy, so people who love them can use them. However, I think they ought to change the name with the skin, which was a mistake they made in Melee by giving Peach a Princess Daisy skin, but leaving her name as "Peach". On that issue, I think a Princess Shroob skin for Peach would be hilarious and awesome. The reason I do not include Young Link is because he's too different in size from adult Link, and thus would have to play somewhat differently. A Fierce Deity Link skin would rock my world.

I would also love to see a Wii version of Jump Ultimate Stars. That would rock my world and then rock it again. Like a hurricane [or is it a typhoon?].

.rai//

P.S. If anything else comes to mind, I'll let you know.
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue May 29, 2007 3:22 am

I finally got to this ep... And I'm getting a PS3 hopefully by my birthday... No HDTV, though, until I pay off the PS3... Which will be next year... And I'm gonna get a Vizio 32" 720p set... It's the best HDTV under 1000 dollars... Not counting Monitors... This is gonna replace my dying TV and my dying monitor... I just hope they'll both last another year...

As for Assassin's Creed, what's wrong with making it Prince of Persia + Splinter Cell? I'm really looking forward to this game. I just hope they don't gimp the PS3 release like Splinter Cell was... I've looked forward to Assassin's creed since 2005... Longer than for MGS4...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu May 31, 2007 2:24 pm

Quite a bit of PSP discussion this time. It is a shame that I don't have one or any real access to one.

The bit on Halo mooning was amusing. I can see where they are coming from, but it still seems absurd. However, I did have one thought: couldn't they have simply made an announcement on the subject? Are they really being negligent if every detail isn't on the box when all the proper information is readily available?

As for Brawl, I would second Megaman. He's a classic character and would fit in well. While I'm tempted to say Final Fantasy characters, that's too easy of a route. They're practically their own world, actually, and could easily populate a game on their own. Another character doesn't immediately leap out to me (not counting responses to this thread).

Fish and Chips wrote:(although characters from Chrono Trigger might be an option)

This is an excellent idea. Chrono could fill Raiden's swordsman slot, or Magus might always be fun to play. The other characters are probably unlikely to make it in the game.

Raiden no Kishi wrote:5. Toad from the Mario games
If Nintendo put Toad in as his own, playable character [not some lame shield for Peach, which is pretty twisted for someone who's supposed to be a sweet, loving ruler <_<], I would be incredibly psyched. I don't know exactly how he would work in combat, but I think something random and funny would be nice. Alternate skins could include a Shroob and a Shy Guy. In fact, I might play a Shy Guy as much as Toad.

It would be interesting if his character was based on the powers he inherited from Super Mario Brothers "2". Specifically, the ability to pull up things really fast. It would be interesting for his attacks to involve pulling things from the ground (or grabbing opponents below him).

Raiden no Kishi wrote:Like a hurricane [or is it a typhoon?].

I'd say monsoon. With that, there's only one thing left to do...

This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer.
uc pseudonym

Postby kryptech » Thu May 31, 2007 4:03 pm

I loved the show opening with all those classic Starcraft quotes! Awesome. I didn't mind Link and Omega going on about Starcraft 2 for a while at the beginning - I have yet to watch the movies (ah, dial-up...) so it was great to hear about some of the cool features from you guys.

A note about the RSS feeds - I rely nearly exclusively on the feeds to see when the next radio shows come out. RSS rocks.
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

kryptech

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu May 31, 2007 4:09 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:The bit on Halo mooning was amusing. I can see where they are coming from, but it still seems absurd. However, I did have one thought: couldn't they have simply made an announcement on the subject? Are they really being negligent if every detail isn't on the box when all the proper information is readily available?

We live in a society where people sue food chains because their coffee is too hot. Ridiculous as it is, their just trying to cover all their bases. They shouldn't have to, but they are.
Fish and Chips

Postby Nate » Thu May 31, 2007 4:32 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:~ Pichu* [a lame copy of Pikachu that DAMAGES ITSELF. If you cut Pichu, he'd bleed weaksauce.]

However, like Jigglypuff, Pichu is AWESOME for being cheap. Fully charged Skull Bash = instant KO.

As for third party characters, I would like to see:

Megaman - Has already been mentioned, so I'll forgo that.

Perisie - Heh heh. Obscure characters. Perisie is a Fellpool, a catlike human from the game Star Ocean for the Super Famicom. I'd take her or Ratix.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu May 31, 2007 7:48 pm

Nate wrote:However, like Jigglypuff, Pichu is AWESOME for being cheap. Fully charged Skull Bash = instant KO.

Oh yes. Cheap victories = cool. Which reminds me . . . I think I need to go fire up some SSBM and get my Pichu on. I do think Pichu looks cooler than Pikachu, so they should at least make it a skin for Pikachu.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Omega Amen » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:06 pm

*suddenly stops zooming through the thread comments with his MEGA-WIDE HI-RES MONITOR OF DOOM!*
uc pseudonym wrote:This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer. This post will show up on Omega's computer.
Huh, finally a substantial post by uc pseudonym. It's about time! I mean that is like... 9 and 1/2 lines.

*continues zooming through the thread comments with his MEGA-WIDE HI-RES MONITOR OF DOOM!*
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby mastersquirrel » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:12 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:CHARACTERS THAT SHOULD NOT COME BACK FROM MELEE:
~ Pichu* [a lame copy of Pikachu that DAMAGES ITSELF. If you cut Pichu, he'd bleed weaksauce.]
~ Young Link [Not different enough from grown-up Link, although comboing Fire Arrows into bombs was entertaining.]
~ Falco* [just a copy of Fox with a modded blaster]
~ Dr. Mario* [just a mildly modified Mario]
~ Ice Climbers [their ice is frozen weaksauce]
~ Marth or Roy* [note the asterisk]

I'm afraid I must disagree with you on this, ESPECIALLY Marth, Roy, and Falco. Marth rocks plus Roy and Falco aren't just copies because they play quite differently (there are slight differences in several of their moves that make them quite different in fighting style).

I really would prefer that most, if not all, of the characters to make a comeback in Brawl though I realize this probably won't happen.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the show. I'll get to it sometime this week.
[SIZE="1"]"If there's one thing that I know, it's that I know more than one thing." - Master Squirrel[/SIZE]
mastersquirrel

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:33 pm

Omega Amen wrote:*suddenly stops zooming through the thread comments with his MEGA-WIDE HI-RES MONITOR OF DOOM!*
Huh, finally a substantial post by uc pseudonym. It's about time! I mean that is like... 9 and 1/2 lines.

*continues zooming through the thread comments with his MEGA-WIDE HI-RES MONITOR OF DOOM!*

I forgot, are you reading the threads in 1080p? I could never do that... 720p would be pushing it, as it already makes things hard to read...
Bobtheduck

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:I forgot, are you reading the threads in 1080p? I could never do that... 720p would be pushing it, as it already makes things hard to read...

Actually, when I am connected to my PC, I use the 1920x1200 resolution, which is slightly more than 1080p. The fonts are still rendered to the same size... I just see more area on the screen... I hope I made sense there.

My monitor also supports 1080p (i.e. 1920x1080) with the proper aspect ratio. Hence, I do not get any "stretching" when I connect it to my PS3.

I really do not find things hard to read. It is just that most websites' designs do not have the 1920x1200 resolution in mind.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby kryptech » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:42 am

Omega Amen wrote:I really do not find things hard to read. It is just that most websites' designs do not have the 1920x1200 resolution in mind.

I can believe that! I bet a lot of sites look like glorified sidebars smushed against the left side of the browser window.

kryptech

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:19 pm

i'd like to see chrono show up in ssbb, that would be spiffy, although i guess he would be too much like link, so maybe as a skin or something?

and to top it off, the tetris block should be thrown in there just to make things interesting
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:29 pm

Yeshua-Knight wrote:i'd like to see chrono show up in ssbb, that would be spiffy, although i guess he would be too much like link, so maybe as a skin or something?

and to top it off, the tetris block should be thrown in there just to make things interesting

If they gave us Magus as a playable character...that would be amazing.
Fish and Chips

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:52 pm

yeah, that would be cool, i would say lynx from chrono cross, but alas, he doesn't fit the criteria...
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Return to CAA Radio and Gamecasts