Gamecast - Episode 13 - "The Next-Generation doesn't start 'til I say so"

The anime/manga/forums podcast

Gamecast - Episode 13 - "The Next-Generation doesn't start 'til I say so"

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:33 pm

So, the PS3 and Wii are here. What now? Check this show to hear more about these two beasts and a discussion about some fundamentals that make a good game.

Click here to grab the show

Note: Yes, this is a much longer show, so take your time. We are most likely going to take a Christmas break, so you won't have to worry about be left behind.
Link Antilles

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:43 pm

Oooo Nintendo Wiiii!

Loved the cast. Parts were funny. I LOVED THE Little bit omega had in the middle. The background music was incredibly hilarious. Will one of them be on the radio to promote the gamecast?

And ah yes. Red Steel, I have muuuuch to talk about that. It's quite an interesting (yet average) FPS.

And Twilight Princess, ahh that too. That game is incredibly lovely, though I would say at some very minor parts, the use of the wiimote is immersive, mainly boss battles. (Which are incredibly epic)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby midori45 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:32 pm

I'm now happy I didn't put the nintendo Wii on my christmas wish list >>. that kind of game interface isn't my style. I'd much prefure to pound a button instead of using a faulty motion sensory controler.

*is still happy she got Dark Cloud from a friend for free* But I need to know, is this a good game in the case of plot, graphics, and game play?

All in all great show. *now plots a way to get mom to buy Halo and Halo 2 for christmas*
Adopted by:

*Mega.exe

Breaking the bonds of popularity on day at a time :cool:

Julia M. (<-- My bff) wrote: You know what Grace, you take the whole "one step forward two steps back" saying to a whole new level. You just skip the forward step all together.

I carry the weight of the world
as the past is unfurled, but I won’t stop to
wonder,
Going through this life on my own made me as cold as a stone,
I’m a ship going under,
And I’d tell you this, but I don’t know how,
I’m caving in and I’m falling out and I can’t resist,
And I can’t rebound with the weight of the world as the world falls down... -Weight of the World by Saliva

I ain't such a saint that I can promise to risk my life for strangers. Neither am I scum enough to sit quietly by while people are getting hurt before my eyes. -Ichigo Kurosaki

Current Anime Favorites:

• Bleach
  • Elfen Lied
  • Death Note
midori45

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:35 pm

midori45 wrote:I'm now happy I didn't put the nintendo Wii on my christmas wish list >>. that kind of game interface isn't my style. I'd much prefure to pound a button instead of using a faulty motion sensory controler.

Uhm... what?

No get a Wii. You'll be happy. The motion sensor controller isn't necessarily faulty, though it can be inaccurate at times (No more inaccurate than the ps3's tilt sensor)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby midori45 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:31 pm

Inaccurate! That's the word I was looking for! Not faulty, sorry. Right and I do think for some games it would be kinda cool using motion sensors instead of a controler, but didn't you have to pre order it before the release date? *is still a slight n00b when it comes to preordering*
Adopted by:

*Mega.exe

Breaking the bonds of popularity on day at a time :cool:

Julia M. (<-- My bff) wrote: You know what Grace, you take the whole "one step forward two steps back" saying to a whole new level. You just skip the forward step all together.

I carry the weight of the world
as the past is unfurled, but I won’t stop to
wonder,
Going through this life on my own made me as cold as a stone,
I’m a ship going under,
And I’d tell you this, but I don’t know how,
I’m caving in and I’m falling out and I can’t resist,
And I can’t rebound with the weight of the world as the world falls down... -Weight of the World by Saliva

I ain't such a saint that I can promise to risk my life for strangers. Neither am I scum enough to sit quietly by while people are getting hurt before my eyes. -Ichigo Kurosaki

Current Anime Favorites:

• Bleach
  • Elfen Lied
  • Death Note
midori45

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:38 pm

Another solid podcast, though also another long one. Oddly, I have fewer comments to make on this one. I liked Omega Amen's portion in the middle as well. If you have more special feature ideas like that one, including them would make the podcast a great deal more amusing.

The discussion of gaming fundamentals was interesting. You might have, for the sake of time, made it a series and discussed a different genre each time. That worked well for the Christian video games thing, in my mind. Obviously this can't be implemented now, but take it as a general future suggestion. Some people also reserved their comments for the sake of time... want to share them now?

Random thought: I strongly agree about the melee noise in Halo. I like assassinations more than headshots, partially due to it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:04 am

midori45 wrote:Inaccurate! That's the word I was looking for! Not faulty, sorry. Right and I do think for some games it would be kinda cool using motion sensors instead of a controler, but didn't you have to pre order it before the release date? *is still a slight n00b when it comes to preordering*

It should be fairly easy to get soon. They sell pretty well, but there is a pretty large stock of them out there.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:09 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I LOVED THE Little bit omega had in the middle. The background music was incredibly hilarious. Will one of them be on the radio to promote the gamecast?
Yes, the idea is to do some "cross-pollination" between the shows with little advertisements, and it promotes the idea of the "CAA Podcast Network," meaning the shows share some relation.

That being said, I cannot guarantee my little advertisements will always be that hilarious since it is heavily dependent on what is the sound clip. At best, I will try to keep them amusing.
uc pseudonym wrote:I liked Omega Amen's portion in the middle as well. If you have more special feature ideas like that one, including them would make the podcast a great deal more amusing.
I came up with the idea when I listened to 1UP's podcasts (by the way, for those who want to listen to them, be prepared for a great deal of profanity), and I noticed they took breaks where they advertised about other podcasts on the 1UP site. I thought it is was a nice break point for someone who could not listen to the podcast in one sitting.

If we can come up with some more variety, we will try to do so.

As for the length, this podcast has less planning due to waiting for some events (the launches) to materialize and fallout from that. I blame that (and my busy work week) as reasons for the length.

EDIT: One last thought...
uc pseudonym wrote:Random thought: I strongly agree about the melee noise in Halo. I like assassinations more than headshots, partially due to it.
In general, I feel the use of sound and music is the most underutilized aspect in gaming so far. Great sound design can increase immersion immensely since it can inspire images, memories, and powerful yet abstract emotions. I guess because of my piano playing background I tend to be very sensitive to the aesthetics of sound... but I really do think the biggest area in need of improvement in all of games, both PC and console, is solid sound design within game design.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Return to CAA Radio and Gamecasts