a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Never thirsty! » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:37 pm

Violence well I'm not sure if this is too violent to register on the scale but there are some scenes that could be extremely violent so 10 I mean unless ripping out a demon's heart with an electrically charged grappling glove on a regular basis isn't all that violent there isn't really any sexual content or fan service or anything like that pants that are ripped below the knee and ripped sleeves are about as bad as the nudity and sexual content go so no language but I would consider to have a 7=9 in bad religion because the desolation opens a portal that lets stuff that from Hell enter our world and terrorize the main characters. 1 I told my インストラクターを描く(drawing instructor) about it he's only seen the character sketches I don't have the whole plot figured out but I do know this much about it a mass outbreak of nuclear explosions which destroyed most everything on the Earth the resulting magnitude x(a magnitude so severe nothing can describe it) earthquakes(as in multiple) destroyed basically everything else so the indescribably severe earthquakes opened up a portal from the underworld and allow things like demons, various monsters such as some that have three arms one in the normal spots then one where their head would be their eyes and mouths are in the palms of those hands and cyclops centaurs and other mythical creatures. but our hero has the ability to type something into a computer and make it real he is the last human and he has to drive the monsters and demons to extinction before drive us to extinction but he finds out he is not the last human and he has a ton of awesome gear that I'm still dreaming up, but yeah, that's basically it.
User avatar
Never thirsty!
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:15 pm
Location: I don't even know anymore.

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Never thirsty! wrote: インストラクターを描く(drawing instructor)


Yeah, that? That's unnecessary. Just use English, you have no reason to drop Japanese in there. I'm also 99% sure you got that off Google translate, because it doesn't seem to make sense (someone else on CAA would understand it better). It's also exactly what you'd get when you put "drawing instructor" into Google translate, so, you know.
Image
User avatar
Ante Bellum
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:59 pm
Location: E U R O B E A T H E L L

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Never thirsty! » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:26 pm

kudos to you for you have successfully managed to prove that I used google translate and relatively quickly as well(seriously no sarcasm) nice :-) I just wanted to see if google translate was a reliable source for getting stuff translated into Japanese for (is it?)I planned on maybe using some calligraphy for street signs and stuff in my manga still deciding if I want to do that though ,but seriously is google translate reliable?
User avatar
Never thirsty!
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:15 pm
Location: I don't even know anymore.

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby DaughterOfZion » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Well you just said that you "drew your teacher" sooo...
User avatar
DaughterOfZion
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Kyubey Corp. Headquarters

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Never thirsty! » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:50 pm

DaughterOfZion wrote:Well you just said that you "drew your teacher" sooo...

wait what? I'm confused I thought I said drawing instructor as in he teaches me the art form of drawing
User avatar
Never thirsty!
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:15 pm
Location: I don't even know anymore.

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby goldenspines » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:11 pm

In Japanese, you literally said "I draw my teacher" with インストラクターを描く. If you wanted to say drawing instructor, while 芸術の先生 or 芸術先生 is the best way to go, a more literally and choppy sounding version is 描くのを教える先生 (fun fact, this will translate stupidly in Google translate). I prefer the former.
As a side note, I believe there is another less common word for "drawing instructor, but I haven't seen it recently and think no one would really understand it unless you are in that circle (mainly, an art school).

So yeah, don't use Google translate unless you want people to laugh at you. Me and my friends used to use Google translate for Japanese when we wanted a great laugh. XD Because seriously, Google translate turns "Are you free today?" into "Do you have freedom time today?". =D
Google translate, I've heard, works well for Latin languages (Spanish, French, etc.), but a language that doesn't translate as literally from English, like Japanese, it sucks.
So don't use Google translate for the sake of yourself and being respectful to the Japanese people and their language. Either go out and study Japanese yourself, get pay someone who knows Japanese to translate stuff for you, or just don't use it at all in anything you make unless you do TONS of research and know exactly what you are saying.

On topic, you never did mention what your teacher thought of you idea after showing him/her the character sketches. But anyway, I'll basically tell you what I tell every aspiring manga artist, it's a big project that you really need to love to make it work. Manga is not an easy thing to make. It's not an "easy" form of writing. In fact, it's one of the hardest mediums to create in because not only do you have to write a good story that makes sense and keeps the reader interested, but you have to draw pictures to go along with that story as well. And as a illustrator, I can tell you that's not as easy as it seems. (Mangaka make it look easy because they've trained years and years in art school).

So basically, good luck, work hard, etc. But don't bite off more than you can chew in a project like this. It will take you a very long while to get finished. I'm talking years.
Image
User avatar
goldenspines
 
Posts: 4865
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:42 am
Location: Up north somewhere.

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Never thirsty! » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Ok google translate is complete crap thank you for clearing that up I remember I had a Japanese friend back in fourth or fifth grade which is when I learned that most of America's spins on anime series are complete crap compared to the traditional version I really want someone on YouTube to make an abridged series for Bleach and call it Clorox someone probably has I just haven't found it. I'm willing to spend years on it I don't want my manga to be just a hobby but I don't want it to be the thing that pays my bills and puts food on my table I guess I just want it as something that could make me enough money to where if I lost my ability to work in whatever profession God has set out for me I just want it to be enough to where I get enough money from it so that it could keep my lights and water and such on and I'd just get food from the land I really wish they had a course in school called wilderness survival do they have something like that in college? I would take it if they did have it as maybe a science course? I don't know what that would fall under. I didn't have all of the character sketches totally finished those were just some of them he told me he would give me feedback when I finished the rest of them. does anyone have any tips on foreshortening because I really need to get better at it because whenever I try to draw something like that it always looks unnatural I don't know why but when I draw out a foreshortened character and try to emulazte their pose I always feel like I'm about to pull, tear, or hyper-extend something and that probably means something isn't right because I know I've got a great range of motion in my lower body considering how I can kick eight inches above my head forward, backward, sideward and in any other natural direction my upper body however not so much I can't bend my arms more than 80 degrees and I can't bridge mor that three inches of the ground or else I will break my spine that would end my ability to play sports forever.
User avatar
Never thirsty!
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:15 pm
Location: I don't even know anymore.

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Davidizer13 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:09 pm

How about, instead of trying to plot out a story, you learn to write in complete, coherent sentences. I had to re-read everything you said over several times just to know what the heck you were saying in the first place, let alone understanding it. I mean, you jump between talking about your comic book, the survivalist lifestyle, MMA or something, abridged series... Pick one and stick with it, for goodness's sakes. The more different things you try to say, the less likely I am to try and puzzle it all out. Take a breath before you post next time, think about the idea you want to respond to, and talk about that (and that only).
User avatar
Davidizer13
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:27 am
Location: VIOLENT CITY

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:34 pm

So far the only thing you're good at writing is stream of consciousness.
User avatar
K. Ayato
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:00 am
Location: Southern California

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:44 pm

Never thirsty! wrote:Ok google translate is complete crap thank you for clearing that up
Not totally, just for Japanese. Google translate can actually be a useful tool if you know how to use it and how it works.
I remember I had a Japanese friend back in fourth or fifth grade which is when I learned that most of America's spins on anime series are complete crap compared to the traditional version
This was back in the day when US licensing companies thought that changing stuff was cool (or 4kids, haaaha). This doesn't happen too much anymore, thankfully.
I really want someone on YouTube to make an abridged series for Bleach and call it Clorox someone probably has I just haven't found it.
Probably because Clorox is the name of a brand and is thus copyrighted.
I'm willing to spend years on it I don't want my manga to be just a hobby but I don't want it to be the thing that pays my bills and puts food on my table
Well, that's good. Because like acting, there are only a small handful of people who create manga for any substantial amount of money, especially in the US. You'd be lucky to get published.
I guess I just want it as something that could make me enough money to where if I lost my ability to work in whatever profession God has set out for me I just want it to be enough to where I get enough money from it so that it could keep my lights and water and such on and I'd just get food from the land
It may mot make you enough money for this. In fact, manga making is one of the worst jobs you can take on that could "support" you in an emergency situation. Try digging ditches or weeding onions for farmers. You'll make money plus you can learn about farming!
I really wish they had a course in school called wilderness survival do they have something like that in college?
You can find survival training classes or camping classes, I believe. I think some colleges have them, but most of the time they are run by certain local groups.
I would take it if they did have it as maybe a science course? I don't know what that would fall under.
While you're at it with taking classes, throw in anatomy and physiology in there as well. That's the best class for anyone to take, especially someone pursuing art.
I didn't have all of the character sketches totally finished those were just some of them he told me he would give me feedback when I finished the rest of them.
Good. Finish them.
does anyone have any tips on foreshortening
Look at yourself in the mirror in a forshortened pose and draw yourself. And WHILE you are drawing, pay attention to how you are making things seem farther away or closer. By overlapping, making things bigger or smaller, etc.
because I really need to get better at it because whenever I try to draw something like that it always looks unnatural I don't know why but when I draw out a foreshortened character and try to emulazte their pose I always feel like I'm about to pull, tear, or hyper-extend something and that probably means something isn't right because I know I've got a great range of motion in my lower body considering how I can kick eight inches above my head forward, backward, sideward and in any other natural direction my upper body however not so much I can't bend my arms more than 80 degrees and I can't bridge mor that three inches of the ground or else I will break my spine that would end my ability to play sports forever.
Don't break your spine. Look at reference photos of real people (NOT other drawings or any manga poses at all at this point) as well as yourself in the mirror and DRAW by looking.
Image
User avatar
goldenspines
 
Posts: 4865
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:42 am
Location: Up north somewhere.

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:42 am

Never thirsty! wrote:Violence well I'm not sure if this is too violent to register on the scale but there are some scenes that could be extremely violent so 10 I mean unless ripping out a demon's heart with an electrically charged grappling glove on a regular basis isn't all that violent


Not to kill your WAY PAST COOL EDGINESS here, but you're not impressing anyone. You sound like a twelve year old.
Image
User avatar
Ante Bellum
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:59 pm
Location: E U R O B E A T H E L L

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Xeno » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:44 am

This is 2 kewl 4 skool
User avatar
Xeno
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Oklahoma City

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Never thirsty! » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Ante Bellum wrote:
Never thirsty! wrote:Violence well I'm not sure if this is too violent to register on the scale but there are some scenes that could be extremely violent so 10 I mean unless ripping out a demon's heart with an electrically charged grappling glove on a regular basis isn't all that violent


Not to kill your WAY PAST COOL EDGINESS here, but you're not impressing anyone. You sound like a twelve year old.


wasn't trying to impress anyone just wanted to see if I could make it any darker or more violent there's always something worse I just haven't figured out what it is yet I don't know why but I have a strange urge that makes me want to make this as dark as possible without crossing the line of satanic which I probably already have because my character will be ripping out a demon's heart with an electrically charged MMA glove he will start electrocuting the demon heart while it's still in the demon thus electrocuting its bloodstream electrocuting it's body then he rips it out then crushes it in the palm of his hand and then streams of black blood run through his fingers and drip onto the desolate wasteland that is our planet in six years is that more impressive, or just more violent, or both ?I'm aiming for door two.







wow I just noticed that there were a ton of typos in my previous post I suck at proofreading don't know how I was able to make it to 12th grade without ever properly proofreading anything.
User avatar
Never thirsty!
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:15 pm
Location: I don't even know anymore.

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:29 pm

That's not impressive at all. You're using violence in place of other things like character development or a coherent plot. Basically, you need to go back to school and learn how to write a proper story before even touching this.
If you say you have only a "500 character attention span," then what makes you think you can spend years on a comic? Sometimes I swear you're a troll.
Image
User avatar
Ante Bellum
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:59 pm
Location: E U R O B E A T H E L L

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Never thirsty! » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:16 pm

Ante Bellum wrote:That's not impressive at all. You're using violence in place of other things like character development or a coherent plot. Basically, you need to go back to school and learn how to write a proper story before even touching this.
If you say you have only a "500 character attention span," then what makes you think you can spend years on a comic? Sometimes I swear you're a troll.


When I'm actually doing something I care about I could keep focused for hours for example I could write, put music to record and edit twelve tracks in a day if I had the time normally I can come up with lyrics for twelve tracks by the time I'm released from the prison called school, I get my chords and beat for one or two of the tracks while I ride the bus home using my iPod. That's about an 8.5 hour process then I record it when I need a break from my homework and in about a week I have a full-length pretty much done. It's possible as long as I have a plan for how I will go about making my tracks such as if I will write them during study hall or if I will make it look like I'm taking notes but really writing lyrics it depends on what we're doing that day if I have a chance to take notes I will write down the lyrics but after I've written down the notes because I would still need the notes and if I've still got half a period left
User avatar
Never thirsty!
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:15 pm
Location: I don't even know anymore.

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:48 pm

So you basically spend all your time in school doing personal projects instead of focusing on the lesson. That explains a lot, doesn't it?
That doesn't prove you can write any substantial story, though. You haven't proven your ability to write or draw (or, for that matter, make music or do martial arts, which, though it's a little harder to prove, has been you bragging and over-exaggerating). You hadn't even figured out your plot before deciding the violence you're going to have. Some writers can start with a basic foundation and build off that, but you can't stay focused in a single forum post, and you certainly can't build a story off how violent you want it to be. As another said before, you can barely grasp English. How do you expect someone to sit through your story if they can't make out what you're saying?
That's the problem I see with a lot of people like you. You like the idea of making a comic, or a story, or a video game, but you won't put in the effort to make something quality. People aren't going to take what you give them just because it's Christian or an OEL manga, you have to show them that it's worth their time and money.
Image
User avatar
Ante Bellum
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:59 pm
Location: E U R O B E A T H E L L

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:15 pm

What's with the uber-obsession with violence? There are more (and sometimes even better) ways to tell a story, you know.
User avatar
K. Ayato
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:00 am
Location: Southern California

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:08 pm

So. Let me get your plot straight: In a post-apocalyptic world, an anti-hero survivor with awesome powers goes out and fights the demons/monsters/rad-mutants/heffalumps in exquisitely detailed drawings that favor cartoonishly ultra-violent sequences over plot or character development.

That sounds like three quarters of everything that came out in the '80s OVA boom. It sucked back then, and what I've seen so far from your project, if that kind of story gets revived (which it probably shouldn't, honestly), you would not be someone I would choose to bring it back. You should probably do something more useful with your time, like paying attention in school.
User avatar
Davidizer13
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:27 am
Location: VIOLENT CITY

Re: a manga project I am currentlyy working on

Postby Midori » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:05 pm

My opinion is that violence as itself is not a taboo topic for writing or drawing, but treated naively makes for boring art that is not even shocking. In order to make good art about violence, you really have to understand the nature of violence; why it happens, and why it's scary, sad, mysterious, and weirdly alluring. Serious works about violence are not for children, primarily because they cannot understand it, not primarily because it may corrupt them. At least that's what I think.

In general if you want do creative work well, you have to be prepared to put a lot of thought and a lot of work into it. There's really no substitute for these. If you're okay with that, I truly hope you succeed. Goldy has given a lot of good advice. You might be able to get some advice from the other posters in this thread, though you may have to pick it out of the sarcasm in some cases. I wish people would be less sarcastic, but it's hard for them to help it sometimes.
Last edited by Midori on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I was myself sarcastic toward other members of this thread. X| Apologies.
User avatar
Midori
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:43 pm
Location: Mingling with local sentients


Return to Webmanga/comics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests