Question about drawing

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

Question about drawing

Postby Goofy-Luffy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:27 pm

Well, I have some sketches done and I was wondering if I should pen them or leave them the way thay are.
I think that penning stuff takes away the. . . I donno. . . general feel of the drawing. Kinda makes it. . . simple.
Tell me what all you think about it, do you pen or do you leave them as they are?

Thanks! ;)
Goofy-Luffy

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Can you post the pictures here, or links to the pictures, at least? I'm sure that everyone who will respond will be able to give you a better opinion then. :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby RK Ryune » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:16 am

With inking in drawings, how you do it depends on the art style. If you have a really detailed, realistic piece with lots of shading, you definitely don't wanna ink it in. However, if the drawing is simple and pretty clean to begin with, it's a good idea to ink in at least the contour lines (what would make the art "line art" per say)

And if you don't wanna forgo the shading, then you can always go back in with a pencil and put it back in. There's no rule that says you can't mix media.
I shall move mountains-
with only a grain of confidence in the unseen,
I shall do the impossible
For nothing is impossible when one is willing
to reach for the unreachable.

With faith as my shield, there is no doubt all things are possible!
Believing the invisible, aboloshing the darkness,
Remembering that I am never alone,

THIS IS HOW WE OVERCOME
RK Ryune

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:57 pm

As for me, I usually ink my drawings...because I use colored pencil to color them. (Yeah... I am way in the stoneage with out a drawing tablet...*soob*)

Anyways... it isn't practical to use colored pencils with graphite pencils...especicially if you are using brighter colores like yellow, orange, pink..etc... they smudge together with the grey and leave the drawing looking really messy.

However, I usually do portraits in plain pencils and don't ink...^^;

I hope it helps.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Goofy-Luffy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:07 pm

I can't post my drawings just yet because I don't have the stuff to do it at home.
I could take my drawings to my friend's house, but I just haven't done it yet.
It'll be a while, because I'm waiting to order a computer and then get a scanner after that.
Thanks for posting!
Goofy-Luffy

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Draw something and ink it. That's really the way to tell.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:21 pm

I agree with rk ryune. It really does depend on your style of art. I, personally, enjoy drawing with pencils and I rarely use pens for any of my drawings. However, I’d advise that if you have really sketchy pictures that are somewhat hard to see in pencil, then you should either go over the picture in a darker pencil after you’ve finished, or just ink it. I mainly like pencils because they’re erasable and they don’t smear as easily as pens do (and even if they do smear, you could simply erase the smear.)
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby CreatureArt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:50 pm

I agree with Rai - its a good idea to do a test ink on a drawing and see whether you like it or not.

You could try doing a pencil drawing and make another copy to ink over, then compare the two. If you haven't got a lightbox you could scan the original pencil in then ink over it then compare the finished copy to the pencil version to see what you like better.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Maledicte » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:54 am

It depends on how you ink. But you'll never know until you start and practice inking.

I agree with CreatureArt about using a lightbox. Lord knows it's saved many a drawing from my hash inking.

Also, if you're worried about making a drawing "simple", you might want to practice shading techniques in pen, like hatching and cross-hatching. These can add a lot of depth and weight to a drawing.

In any case, an inked drawing usually looks a lot more presentable and eye-catching than most untouched pencils.
Maledicte

Postby mssthang_1 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:35 pm

finally, someone who understands.....anyways i recommend that if you plan on coloring it, inking just might help
Beware...I have an attitude and I'm not afraid to use it. :shady:

You can thank me for the warning. :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

~My Deviantart Account~
mssthang_1

Return to Webmanga/comics