Websites...

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

Websites...

Postby Calypsa » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:16 pm

Okay, I've been pondering for a while starting my own webcomic, primarily manga style --- similar to Inverloch and Earthsong (though I don't claim to be that good at drawing yet!!). However, I'm stumped about what kind of website to use, and I'm desperate for ideas. What do y'all do for yours? Do you use a webcomic's hosting site, create your own...?

NOTE: No, I have no clue as to how to program, or use HTML, or any of that jazz. I AM willing to learn, though! I just need help getting...started. As in: What do I use to program if that's what I decide to do?

Yeah...I know...I must seem so computer illiterate. *sigh* :eyeroll:

Thanks so much ahead of time, to those who can help me!
[font="Trebuchet MS"][color="Green"]formerly known as Dragonfly[/color][/font]
Calypsa

Postby Cap'n Nick » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:39 pm

HTML and CSS are good things to know if you want to make your site by hand. If you know those, all you need is a text editor and a place to put your web pages. The structure of a comic book site also lends itself to server side scripting like PHP, but that's purely optional.

Comic Genesis (formerly Keenspace) offers comic hosting and some tools to facilitate the making of webcomic sites. I had a comic on there many moons ago and found it to be a nice little service, especially for the price (which was nothing). Back when I did it the turn-around was pretty slow on new sign-ups.

And remember, if you want to focus entirely on drawing and leave the site to someone else, it's not hard to find a helpful nerd.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:15 am

Quite a few people here use MangaView (shameless plug).

It's free and supported (by me).

You can download it here:

http://flactem.com/index.php?action=mangaview
Mithrandir

Postby Pepper Kittie » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:47 pm

Hey, that sounds like fun ^^ I hope your manga endevours go well. It's nice to meet ya.

No matter how you do your website or where you go, it'd probably be nice to know at least a little bit of HTML. For me, Lissa Explains was the easiest site to learn from. I think the link's http://www.lissaexplains.com . Depending on the genre of your manga you might be able to find another mangaka with a site that could host you. Comic Genesis sounds like a good place to start though until you get the hang of HTML and websites ^^ I hope you have fun. If you ever need anything, just ask. There's a lot of mangakas around here that would love to help.
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
~John 10:10

~* Advocate Voice *~
Pepper Kittie

Return to Webmanga/comics