[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Skipping Tomorrows webmanga - Page 2 - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Skipping Tomorrows webmanga

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

Postby Gypsy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:21 pm

Sorry to double post, but I put up the required ratings for the webmanga, so you can go to the first post in this thread and read about how horrible it will get later on. ^^
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:10 am

So, whyyyyyyyyy has the shameless praise and posting stopped? O_o

Fantastic job thus far Gyppers. I've picked up quite a few subtle things in names like Minnie and the physical appearance of Tom *cough Nick cough* You're doing a fantastic job so far; please keep it up!
Ashley

Postby Gypsy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:05 pm

Eh heh ... he does look like Nick, doesn't he? (My non-Zilch brother) That wasn't on purpose, I promise. ^^

I did a double update earlier ... was it this week? I don't remember. Anyway, anytime I think that a single page is too boring, I'm going to try to post two pages to make up for it (if I'm far enough ahead). I've started work on chapter 2 art and my coloring style changed .. slightly, but I don't think it'll stand out too much. And if anyone thinks that the art looks a little strange, please bear in mind that I drew all of those pictures over a year ago (not the chapter covers) and I'm just coloring them now.

I've had at least two people mention a guestbook to me, but I don't have any plans to put one in quite yet. I think only CAA people read it for right now, so this thread will have to do. ^^;
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Knuckles » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:47 am

Hey! really cool! I love the way you color.
Knuckles

Postby Gypsy » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:19 am

Today's update marks the end of chapter 1. If there are any changes you like to see (layout, update schedule) please feel free to comment - I'd really appreciate it ^^. I'm sorry that my web skills are so basic, but I hope that it's at least functional for you. I'm not as far ahead as I used to be, but here's hoping I'll be able to still go a long time without missing an update! ;)
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:55 am

Yay for chapter 1! Can't wait to see what unfolds next!

I do have to say though, that I actually like your "basic webskills"--they're so much friendlier for my dialup machine than say, Inverloch or Apple Geeks, which took so long I very nearly gave up trying last night. ; __ ;
Ashley

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:00 pm

Woohoo! Can't wait for more.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Gypsy » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:36 pm

[quote="Ashley"]Yay for chapter 1! Can't wait to see what unfolds next!

I do have to say though, that I actually like your "basic webskills"--they're so much friendlier for my dialup machine than say, Inverloch or Apple Geeks, which took so long I very nearly gave up trying last night. ]

Good, because being nice to 56kers was one of my goals. Maybe when I someday (that was typed wistfully, btw) convert everything over to flash, I may keep the basic html part going just for that reason.
Gypsy

Postby Mave » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:05 pm

[quote="Gypsy"]Today's update marks the end of chapter 1. If there are any changes you like to see (layout, update schedule) please feel free to comment - I'd really appreciate it ^^. I'm sorry that my web skills are so basic, but I hope that it's at least functional for you. I'm not as far ahead as I used to be, but here's hoping I'll be able to still go a long time without missing an update! ]

*celebrates* Gypsy, it's looking really good and I think the story is picking up very well! Congrats over your first chapter! :dance:

IMO, basic web skills is all you really need as long as you make sure that the website is:
- easy to navigate
- download quickly
- updated regularly

So yeah, you're fine. :thumb:
Mave

Postby Gypsy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:07 am

Thanks for the feedback, all!

I guess this means full speed ahead for chapter 2, which will start tomorrow. I might push chapter 2 a little faster than chapter 1 ... the more I re-read my pages in sequence, the more I realize how slow most of the dialogue is. But, I'm learning a lot, and that's what counts, ne? ^^;
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:25 pm

I read the first chapter as a whole, and I can actually say that I'm interested. This note may not be of great value, but I'll mention it: your female characters generally look younger to me than they are revealed to be.
uc pseudonym

Postby shooraijin » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:26 pm

Well, no girl wants to look old, you know.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Gypsy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:20 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I read the first chapter as a whole, and I can actually say that I'm interested.

And I didn't explode a single thing. I'm dumbfounded. o.O

This note may not be of great value, but I'll mention it: your female characters generally look younger to me than they are revealed to be.

Probably. I've been told that my characters look like kids before, and I think it's just a combinations of elements that form my current style. I'm sorry if it bugs people, but that's how I draw right now. ^^;
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:41 am

Gypsy wrote:And I didn't explode a single thing. I'm dumbfounded. o.O

I believe this is an opportune time to use the :shady: emoticon.

[quote="Gypsy"]Probably. I've been told that my characters look like kids before, and I think it's just a combinations of elements that form my current style. I'm sorry if it bugs people, but that's how I draw right now. ^^]

It doesn't bother me, and if it counts as style it doesn't matter. I mentioned it in case it was something you would want to change.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:46 pm

One thing I should have mentioned earlier (and why I didn't is beyond me) but all of this art is over a year old. I'm just *now* scanning it in, coloring, and putting together the pages. Some of the art irks me to no end, but I'm at the point where I need to finish this project up, rather than redrawing anything. Happily, my next project is mostly about high school, so hopefully the ages will appear a little more accurate. ;)
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:54 am

Yay for chapter two! I love the blank look on Shawn's face on page 2. BTW, have I mentioned he's a hottie? I have a bit of a crush on Shawn. ^^;;
Ashley

Postby Mave » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:43 pm

Some anime/manga characters are well over 500 years old but they look like young teenagers.

I wouldn't sweat over how old your characters are supposed to look too much. ;)
Mave

Postby Gypsy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:26 pm

[quote="Ashley"] BTW, have I mentioned he's a hottie? I have a bit of a crush on Shawn. ^^]

w00t!

edit: well that was a spammerific post. Now I need to think of something constructive to say ... Nah, I'll think of something tomorrow. ^^
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:52 pm

We'll let it slide this time, but only because it's your thread/comic. :grin:
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby inkhana » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:31 pm

[quote="Ashley"]Yay for chapter two! I love the blank look on Shawn's face on page 2. BTW, have I mentioned he's a hottie? I have a bit of a crush on Shawn. ^^]

I hope a certain someone isn't getting jealous...XD

Seriously, everything's looking good! I wish you put up more pages at a time, though...^^;; hehe

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Ashley » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:40 am

I hope a certain someone isn't getting jealous...XD

As long as I don't get a papercut on my face, I'm pretty sure he'll be ok with it. He has blue eyes too. =P

And dude, Gyp, I *love* the expression on Shawn's face in yesterday's page. You're quite expressive. ^^
Ashley

Postby Gypsy » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:40 pm

Ashley wrote:And dude, Gyp, I *love* the expression on Shawn's face in yesterday's page. You're quite expressive. ^^

It's the 'ol "make an expression in a mirror and draw it" trick. ;)
Gypsy

Postby Shinja » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:12 pm

ha ha, manga emma! so hillarious :grin:
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Gypsy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:46 am

Shinja, I just read your sig and now I want to work on Offsides instead of Skipping Tomorrows. :sweat:
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:35 am

Lol. I didn't even notice that.

shooraijin

Postby Ashley » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:33 am

I declare today's page the best so far. Shawn's expressions are just hilarious, and the Belldandy reference? Priceless. A true gem, Gyppers.
Ashley

Postby Shinja » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:47 pm

yeah, i had to steal that for my sig^^, oh and one question, whats with the duckys?
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Gypsy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:09 pm

The ducks ... well ... there is no really good reason, I'm afraid. :sweat: I was trying to go for a warm-happy-fuzzy sort of background, and all I could think of at the time were duckies. Although I didn't really plan it this way, there are more duckies to come. So, uh, yeah ... quack. :sweat:

Edit: Oh! And I now have 2 fanarts, 2! (laughs like the Count from Sesame Street) I hope to have the fanart/gallery page up soon. ^^
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:14 pm

Awesome use of perspective and expression in that last panel, Gyppers. :thumb:

And maybe while I'm trying not to go too crazy this weekend, I'll draw some fanart for you.
Ashley

Postby Mave » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:01 pm

LOL I particularly love the Belldandy reference and Shawn's expression in that panel. XDD

I agree, Shawn is pretty darn cool bishie material...I also love the way Emma looks too! *0*)// Keep up the great job, Gypsy!
Mave

Previous Next

Return to Webmanga/comics