June 22, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

June 22, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:56 pm

Hospitality

"Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality."
Romans 12:13

Each of us are challenged almost on a daily basis with an opportunity to show hospitality to someone in need. Our response to that challenge will reflect our priorities and Christ's Lordship in our lives.

In the book, "Finding Hope Again," Roy Fairchild told how he had come to Vienna after a two-week illness in a small Austrian village. He had spent most of his money on medical costs and his last cent to take a train to Vienna to try and find his friends he had been traveling with.

As he was standing in one of the street car stations in the centre of the city, tired, hungry and discouraged a little old wrinkled lady, one of the ladies whose job was to sweep out the station, came to him and asked him if he were hungry.

Before he could answer she took her own lunch from a brown paper bag and offered him half of it. He said he was so moved by her action that he has never forgotten her face or her kindness and the sparkle in her eye.

They talked for more than an hour about her life. She was raised in the country on a farm knowing only hard work. Since then she had lost her husband and two sons in the Resistance. Only her daughter had survived but she said that she was very thankful for many things.

When asking her why she offered him half her lunch the lady simply said, "Jesu ist mein Herr. Gott ist gut (Jesus is my Lord. God is good)".

Prayer: Ask the Lord to enable you to be hospitable in some way to someone today.

"Some folks make you feel at home. Others make you wish you were." ~Arnold H. Glasow
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby true_noir_chloe » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:20 pm

Thanks again, Rev.Doc. I always thought it was so interesting how in Romans it was written, "practice" hospitality. It's something we have to work at. ^___^ And, practice makes perfect, right? So, the more we do it the more hospitable we become. Thanks again.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Return to Devotional Readings