[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
June 17, 2004 - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

June 17, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

June 17, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Encouragement

"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."
Hebrews 3:13

There are so many things in this world that can cause one to be discouraged. God has given each of us the opportunity to help one another out in times like this by simple acts of encouragement.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn is one of the leading Russian writers of the 20th century. He was born in Kislovodsk on December 11, 1918. A brilliant student, he graduated from the University of Rostov-on-Don majoring in physics and mathematics. He served in the Red Army and rose to the rank of Captain. In 1945 he was arrested after writing critical remarks in a letter to a friend. He was sentenced to eight years of hard labor. In 1950, he was transferred to the most dreaded labor camp in Kazakhstan. In 1952, with less than a year to go to his release, Alexander was losing hope. Weakened from the years of beatings and malnutrition, he came up with a plan. He would end it all by stopping his work and letting the guards beat him to death. Alexander leaned on his shovel, but as he did, a Christian prisoner next to him quickly drew a cross in the dirt at Alexander's feet. Then as just as quickly, the man erased it before a guard could see it. Alexander was a believer, and he later wrote that he was energized by that man's silent act of encouragement to remind him of his hope in Christ.

Prayer: Ask the Spirit to show you those around you who need an encouraging word or act of support and the words or actions needed in each case.

"Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you." ~William Arthur Ward.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings