June 15, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

June 15, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:55 pm

Worries

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."
Psalm 91:1-2

In 1941, actor Jimmy Stewart enlisted in the Army Air Corps. Prior to being shipped out overseas, his father Alex wrote the following: My dear Jim boy. Soon after you read this letter, you will be on your way to the worst sort of danger. Jim, I'm banking on the enclosed copy of the 91st Psalm. The thing that takes the place of fear and worry is the promise of these words. I am staking my faith in these words. I feel sure that God will lead you through this mad experience. I can say no more. I only continue to pray. Goodbye, my dear. God bless you and keep you. I love you more than I can tell you. Dad. Jimmy Stewart rose through the ranks from private to colonel. He returned home a decorated war hero, unharmed even though his record included 20 combat missions. During the height of battle, Stewart said he learned to lean on the words of his tattered copy of Psalm 91, especially verses 1 and 2, which speak of God as a refuge and fortress. Upon returning home, he told his father: "What a promise for an airman. I placed in his hands the squadron I would be leading. And, as the psalmist promised, I felt myself borne up."

No matter what it is we are facing in life, God is there. He is your refuge and your strength. Place your greatest fears and worries in His hands. He will never leave you nor forsake you.

Prayer: Ask God for peace of heart and mind. Christ, the Prince of Peace will grant it.

"Every evening I turn worries over to God. He's going to be up all night anyway." ~Mary C. Crowley
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings