June 11, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

June 11, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:49 pm

Empathy

"If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it."
I Corinthians 12:26-27

One of the greatest things that the Spirit of God can give to us is an understanding of what others are facing and feeling. With this spiritual sensitivity we are able to better serve those who are struggling in life. While we recognize that this is gained many times as we walk personally through the "valley of the shadow of death," it can be use to help others know they do not walk the path alone.

British statesman and financier Cecil Rhodes, whose fortune was used to endow the world-famous Rhodes Scholarships, was a stickler for correct dress--but apparently not at the expense of someone else's feelings. A young man invited to dine with Rhodes arrived by train and had to go directly to Rhodes's home in his travel-stained clothes. Once there he was appalled to find the other guests already assembled, wearing full evening dress. After what seemed a long time Rhodes appeared, in a shabby old blue suit. Later the young man learned that his host had been dressed in evening clothes, but put on the old suit when he heard of his young guest's dilemma.

Prayer: Ask the Holy Spirit to assist you in feeling what others are going through.

"Empathy: Your pain in my heart." ~Jess Lair.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Sieg9986 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:17 am

I really like that story, and that message.
Image Image
Skywriting...

[quote]
Sieg9986:

Always looking up, being on the ground bothers you. You’re always craning your neck to see up into the clouds or to see the grandeur of the stars. “Star Warsâ€
Sieg9986

Return to Devotional Readings