June 4, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

June 4, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:48 pm

Content In Our Discontentment

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!"
Philippians 4:4

There are times when we may find ourselves more at home with an attitude of discontement towards situations or individuals that we would rather live with that attitude than to change it and live the way the Lord would have us to.

Jones, a wealthy financier, had on many occasion in the good old days, when trains were flourishing and coaches were the last word in technological luxury, crossed the continent by Pullman. He was well known and well served and was accustomed to every convenience, particularly when dining.

Imagine his exasperation, then, when it turned out that the chef did not have tutti-frutti ice cream.

"No tutti-frutti?" he shouted. "I always have tutti-frutti."

"I'm sorry, sir," said the waiter, soothingly. "We have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, black walnut, cherry, mocha almond --"

"I want tutti-frutti," cried Jones, banging the table and turning red. "I have always had tutti-frutti and I won't have anything else."

For miles he muttered, scowled, growled, and snarled at everyone, so that every train employee on board had visions of angry reprisals. Finally, the train stopped at a station; a word to the conductor kept it there while the crew scoured the town for tutti-frutti ice cream.
A whole pint of the dessert was found and all of it was presented to Jones, with huge gobs of cherry sauce on it, together with a sliced banana and a swirl of whipped cream.

"Here is your tutti-frutti ice cream, Mr. Jones," said the quaking waiter.

Jones looked at it with a scowl, then with a sudden swipe of his arm hurled it to the floor, shouting, "I'd rather have my grievance!"

No matter what we are faced with, if we will live close to Christ, rejoice in Him, and follow His Word we will learn to be content no matter what.

Prayer: Ask God to help you to overcome discontentment in your life and in your attitudes towards others, instead rejoicing in His presence.

"Contentment makes poor men rich; discontentment makes rich men poor." ~Benjamin Franklin.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby wiggins » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:58 am

Thanks Rev.Doc.
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Return to Devotional Readings