June 2, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

June 2, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:42 pm

Examples

"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ."
1 Corinthians 11:1

What we do can have a great influence on those around us.

General George Marshall was called America's foremost soldier during World War II, serving as chief of staff from 1939 to 1945, while building and directing the largest army in history. He was a 1901 graduate of Virginia Military Institute and worked his way up through the ranks to become the most powerful military architect during World War II.

After retiring from the military, he served as secretary of state from 1947 to 1949 under President Truman. He formulated the "Marshall Plan", an unprecedented program of economic and military aid to the rebuilding of Europe, for which he won the Nobel Peace Prize in December 1953. But it was back in 1927 that Marshall became Assistant commandant of the Infantry School in Fort Benning, Georgia.

When he arrived, he found the fort in a generally run-down condition. Rather than use his rank as lieutenant colonel to issue orders for specific improvements, he simply got out his own paintbrushes, lawn equipment, and other tools; and went to work on his personal quarters. The other officers and men, first on his block, then throughout the fort, did the same thing, and Fort Benning was brightened up.

The life we live for Christ impacts many, having a lasting effect which could lead others to also take up their crosses.

Prayer: Ask the Lord to help you to be concious of the type of example you are setting.

"A man's life is always more forcible than his speech. When men take stock of him they reckon his deeds as dollars and his words as pennies. If his life and doctrine disagree the mass of onlookers accept his practice and reject his preaching." ~C. H. Spurgeon
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Knives » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:25 am

Ive been thinking about influences lately. THanks for writing this bible study it was interesting and hopefully it helped me with my walk with God.
Knives

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:16 pm

Thank you, Rev.Doc for another good devotion. ^__^ I often think over this subject in my quiet times. How can I show others the Christ in me when I speak or write, that He will be glorified and show through my words and actions? I always ask His Spirit to speak through me that His truth would be shown, and not my own prideful words. I guess I'm just thinking out loud again. *heh*

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Return to Devotional Readings