May 25, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

May 25, 2004

Postby shooraijin » Tue May 25, 2004 8:05 am

In Rev. Doc's absence, I will be posting his devotionals (written before he left for his trip) for him from 17-28 May. -- S.

Temptation

James 4:7 "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

Sometimes we should not be surprised when we are bitten by sin. We frequently allow ourselves to be in positions or possess things wherein we know temptation waits.

There is an old Indian legend that says that many years ago, Indian youths would go away in solitude to prepare for manhood. One such youth hiked into a beautiful valley, green with trees, bright with flowers. There he fasted. But on the third day, as he looked up at the surrounding mountains, he noticed one tall rugged peak, capped with dazzling snow. I will test myself against that mountain, he thought. He put on his buffalo-hide shirt, threw his blanket over his shoulders and set off to climb the peak. When he reached the top he stood on the rim of the world. He could see forever, and his heart swelled with pride. Then he heard a rustle at his feet, and looking down, he saw a snake. Before he could move, the snake spoke.

"I am about to die," said the snake. "It is too cold for me up here and I am freezing. There is no food and I am starving. Put me under your shirt and take me down to the valley."

"No," said the youth. "I am forewarned. I know your kind. You are a rattlesnake. If I pick you up, you will bite, and your bite will kill me."

"Not so," said the snake. "I will treat you differently. If you do this for me, you will be special. I will not harm you."

The youth resisted awhile, but this was a very persuasive snake with beautiful markings. At last the youth tucked it under his shirt and carried it down to the valley. There he laid it gently on the grass, when suddenly the snake coiled, rattled, and leapt, biting him on the leg.

The youth cried, "But you promised!"

"You knew what I was when you picked me up," said the snake as it slithered away.

Prayer: Pray that the Lord will give you strength to overcome temptation and away from circumstances that entice. Thank Him for past deliverance and His constant presence.

"There are several good protections against temptation, but the surest is cowardice." ~Mark Twain
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby wiggins » Tue May 25, 2004 10:18 am

Wow! I needed that.
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby Master Kenzo » Wed May 26, 2004 3:31 pm

Cool story. Good point. I must say, I also needed that. Thanks shooja...shoorain...*gives up* Cool Looking Mod Guy!
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Return to Devotional Readings