May 13, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

May 13, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed May 12, 2004 8:49 pm

Anxiety

Philippians 4:6
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

We have the tendency to worry, and usually over nothing.

An average person's anxiety is focused on :
40% - things that will never happen
30% - things about the past that cannot be changed
12% - criticism by others, mostly untrue
10% - about health which gets worse with stress
8% - about real problems that will be faced

In 480 B.C. the outmanned army of Sparta's King Leonidas held off the Persian troops of Xerxes by fighting them one at a time as they came through a narrow mountain pass. Commenting on this strategy, C.H. Sprugeon said, "Suppose Leonidas and his handful of men had gone out into the wide-open plain and attacked the Persians--why, they would have died at once, even though they might have fought like lions." Spurgeon continued by saying that Christians stand in the narrow pass of today. If they choose to battle every difficulty at once, they're sure to suffer defeat. But if they trust God and take their troubles one by one, they will find that their strength is sufficient.

Don't try to battle all your worries at once. When you take them one at a time and work each out to it's conclusion relying on God for the outcome your faith will be strengthened.

Prayer: Ask the Lord to help you trust in Him in difficult times and worrisome circumstances.

"The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety." ~George Muller.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Master Kenzo » Thu May 13, 2004 5:11 am

Another great devotional, Doc. Worry sure is a big problem for a lot of people I know, (as well as myself) But your advice rings true, as usual. Thanks for taking the time to write these :)
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby kaji » Thu May 13, 2004 6:25 am

Thanks Doc, right on top of it, as usual. :thumb:

-kaji
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Return to Devotional Readings