May 12, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

May 12, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue May 11, 2004 8:40 pm

Life's Distractions

Hebrews 12:2
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev used to tell of a time when there was a wave of petty theft in the Soviet Union. To curtail this the authorities put up guards around the factories. At one timberworks in Leningrad, the guard knew the workers in the factory very well. The first evening, out came Pyotr Petrovich with a wheelbarrow and, on the wheelbarrow, a great bulky sack with a suspicious-looking object inside. "All right, Petrovich," said the guard, "what have you got there?" "Oh, just sawdust and shavings," Petrovich replied. "Come on," the guard said, "I wasn't born yesterday. Tip it out." And out came nothing but sawdust and shavings. So he was allowed to put it all back again and go home. When the same thing happened every night of the week the guard became frustrated. Finally, his curiosity overcame his frustration. "Petrovich," he said, "I know you. Tell me what you're smuggling out of here, and I'll let you go." "Wheelbarrows, my friend, " said Petrovich, "wheelbarrows."

Sometimes we become so fixed on the things of this world that our focus is directed towards areas that neither benefit us nor edify the body of Christ. It is easy to be distracted and we fail to place our priorities where they should be. The saddest part about all this is, that even as God's children, we are allowing Satan to get away with doing this in our lives. It is the Devil's victory when we see the insignificant sawdust and not the wheelbarrows of life.

Prayer: Ask the Lord to help you focus on Jesus, and the important things in life that pertain to His kingdom.

"If you chase two rabbits, both will escape." ~Anonymous
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Master Kenzo » Wed May 12, 2004 5:25 am

I was wondering for a minute, "What does this story have to do with the verse quote?" but then you brought it all full circle in the end. Thanks again Doc, this is a great way to start my day.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby wiggins » Wed May 12, 2004 6:47 am

Cool Rev.doc! Yet another thing I have to work on. Are you somehow telepathically searching out my weak points? jk XD.
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed May 12, 2004 10:05 am

I think God is searching out your weak points, wiggins. ^_^ Anyway, I know you were joking wiggins, I hope you didn't mind my joking with you. The good jokes are the ones which have a little truth underneath, though. (~-^)

Anyways, I enjoyed this and it's so pertinant in my life. I'm always wandering around where I shouldn't be, and then I read something like this, by His grace, and am pulled back to where I need to be. So with that, I think I'll log off now. ^_^ Thanks Rev.Doc.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Return to Devotional Readings