May 10, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

May 10, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Sun May 09, 2004 9:01 pm

Who Is My Neighbor?

Luke 10:29
"But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, 'And who is my neighbor?'"

Sometimes, recognizing who our neightbor is, those whom the Lord called us to be responsible for, can be a humbling experience.

That great African-American educator Booker T. Washington exemplified the beauty of a humble spirit. One day as Professor Washington was walking to work at Tuskegee Institute in Alabama, he happened to pass the mansion of a wealthy woman.

The woman, who did not recognize him, called out, "Hey you! Come here! I need some wood chopped!" She was a product of her culture and simply perceived him as a black man who was there to do her bidding. Without a word, Dr. Washington peeled off his jacket, picked up the ax, and went to work. He not only cut a large pile of wood, he also carried the firewood into the house and arranged it neatly.

He had scarcely left when a servant said to the woman, "I guess you didn't recognize him, ma'am, but that was Professor Washington!"

Embarrassed and ashamed, the woman hurried over to Tuskegee Institute to apologize.

The great educator humbly replied: "There's no need to apologize, madam. I'm delighted to do favors for my neighbors!"

Yes, our neighbor can even be those who just never seem to treat us with very much kindness. And yet, Christ compels us to love them in His name.

Prayer: Pray for the heart of a humble servant, and the willingness and openess to be a neighbor to all.

"Dear friends, I am the little servant of an illustrious Master." ~Hudson Taylor
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Saint Kevin » Sun May 09, 2004 9:10 pm

Thanks for the devotional. Great story.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby true_noir_chloe » Mon May 10, 2004 12:17 pm

Thank you again, Rev.Doc. ^_^

For Mother's Day I got my new devotional and Bible study book from my husband and the kids. It should last me a while. ^_^ It's The Beloved Disciple, by Beth Moore and the study guide which goes with it; on the life and ministry of John - I've been waiting for this one to come out. *woohoo*

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Return to Devotional Readings