May 7, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

May 7, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu May 06, 2004 8:40 pm

Purpose

Philippians 2:2
"...then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose."

We sadly convince ourselves that others have a higher purpose in life than we ourselves. However, Paul wanted the believers to understand that no matter what it is we are doing it all focuses on one purpose. Therefore, we shouldn't be asking ourselves, "What is my purpose in life?" but "What is God's purpose in life?"

John W. Gardner, founding chairman of Common Cause, said it's a rare and high privilege to help people understand the difference they can make -- not only in their own lives, but also in the lives of others, simply by giving of themselves.

Gardner tells of a cheerful old man who asked the same question of just about every new acquaintance he fell into conversation with: "What have you done that you believe in and you are proud of?"

He never asked conventional questions such as "What do you do for a living?" It was always, "What have you done that you believe in and are proud of?"

It was an unsettling question for people who had built their self-esteem on their wealth or their family name or their exalted job title.
Not that the old man was a fierce interrogator. He was delighted by a woman who answered, "I'm doing a good job raising three children;" and by a cabinetmaker who said, "I believe in good workmanship and practice it;" and by a woman who said, "I started a bookstore and it's the best bookstore for miles around."

"I don't really care how they answer," said the old man. "I just want to put the thought into their minds.

"They should live their lives in such a way that they can have a good answer. Not a good answer for me, but for themselves. That's what' s important."

If we as believers can ask this question, and answer that in whatever I am doing, wherever it may be, if God's love is evident, if it is directed by His Spirit, than His purpose will be accomplished. That purpose? Christ lifted up and glorified.

Prayer: Ask God through His Spirit to open your eyes and see His purpose of life that surrounds you.

Sign on door: "Gone out of business. Didn't know what our business was." ~1963 -- University Christian Church. in NY.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Aka-chan » Thu May 06, 2004 8:50 pm

Wow. That's something to think about, especially since end of the year exams are starting to take a toll and things are starting to feel pointless because of stress. -_- Thanks! I'll remember to pray about that!
Aka-chan

Postby true_noir_chloe » Fri May 07, 2004 9:52 am

I love the verse, Phil. 2:2, and the whole of chapter 2 in Phillipians. Thank you Rev.Doc for sharing this for me. I think when I said I was in a quandary over my purpose, it wasn't so much the way God might use me, and if it was as great as He uses you; but more the fact that why am I, a 42-year-old woman, on an anime forum? What do I really contribute to CAA? Everyone here is either in their 20s or younger, and in that way I feel a little "aged." *hehe*

And then I realize, I contribute whereever I'm needed to, by God's design, not by my own. The fact I even found this place and now my kids have a place to fellowship with other kids who enjoy anime like them, is fantastic. CAA is truly a site above the rest and I'll continue to just pop in and look over the prayer requests and then join in your devotions.

It's funny, I've just finished my journaling devotions book, "Whispers of Hope," by Beth Moore; I've been so blessed by her teaching. So, God has blessed me again by giving me a place to have devotions here. I'm thankful I can come and grow by more great teaching by you. ^_^

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby wiggins » Fri May 07, 2004 11:29 am

Thanks Rev.doc. That really helps focus things. How does that quote at the bottom relate to the devotional though?
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby Rev. Doc » Fri May 07, 2004 12:00 pm

wiggins wrote:Thanks Rev.doc. That really helps focus things. How does that quote at the bottom relate to the devotional though?

A church that loses it's focus and purpose (that of Christ) may as well and will eventually end up closing it's doors for good. But if a church is serving the living Lord, it will never die. Christ, and serving people in His name, this is our business.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings