May 5, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

May 5, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue May 04, 2004 8:55 pm

Doubts

Jude :22
"Be merciful to those who doubt;"

We all struggle with doubts at some point in our lives. Perhaps the greatest guilt sets in when we doubt about spiritual areas.

G. Campbell Morgan had already enjoyed some success as a preacher by the time he was 19 years old. But then he was attacked by doubts about the Bible. The writings of various scientists and agnostics disturbed him (e.g., Charles Darwin, John Tyndall, Thomas Huxley, and Herbert Spencer). As he read their books and listened to debates, Morgan became more and more perplexed. What did he do? He cancelled all preaching engagements, put all the books in a cupboard and locked the door, and went to the bookstore and bought a new Bible. He said to himself, "I am no longer sure that this is what my father claims it to be--the Word of God. But of this I am sure. If it be the Word of God, and if I come to it with an unprejudiced and open mind, it will bring assurance to my soul of itself." The result? "That Bible found me!" said Morgan. The new assurance in 1883 gave him the motivation for his preaching and teaching ministry. He devoted himself to the study and preaching of God's Word.

Always remember that even the great spiritual leaders of church history have struggled with doubt, even among Jesus own disciples who walked with Him. Doubt gives way to questions, and questions brought to God harvest answers. It is part of a growing process that builds our faith. And remember to be available to others who are doubtful. We all walk that same path.

Prayer: Ask God to open your eyes in the midst of doubt to see the truth that is in Jesus.

"Give me the benefit of your convictions, if you have any; but keep your doubts to yourself, for I have enough of my own." ~Goethe.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Master Kenzo » Wed May 05, 2004 4:49 am

Another great Bible study, Doc. I really appreciate it, as I have struggled with some doubts myself.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby wiggins » Wed May 05, 2004 6:55 am

Thanks Rev.doc. I have actually had some doubts and questions recently, and I will bring them to God, and expect and wait for God to answer me.
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby Inferno » Wed May 05, 2004 9:39 am

Thanks for the dovotional Rev. Doc. It's always nice to know that i'm not the only one who doubts, but that every one doubts even great spiritual leaders doubted some times! Again thanks, I've been doubting a lttle this week and this devotional really helped!
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu May 06, 2004 5:15 pm

Rev.doc, I wanted to ask you something. Rather than pm'ing I suppose I could ask it here. I never have doubts about my Lord. I am so assured at this season in my life and know Him so intimately, that is not what I struggle with right now. What I have doubts with now is if I'm doing things, or being the kind of person I should be. Such as, being on CAA. You and I are around the same age, and yet you have a reason to be on CAA. I guess I doubt my purpose here. Where I have doubts is in my purpose for this part of my life.

Sorry to get so personal, but I was wondering if you ever think that way, as well. Thank you for another great devotion, BTW. ^_^

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu May 06, 2004 8:34 pm

true_noir_chloe wrote:What I have doubts with now is if I'm doing things, or being the kind of person I should be. Such as, being on CAA. You and I are around the same age, and yet you have a reason to be on CAA. I guess I doubt my purpose here. Where I have doubts is in my purpose for this part of my life.

My purpose here is no greater than your purpose, nor is my purpose different from your purpose. Our purpose is His (God's) purpose. If you are glorifying His Son here through your life (as I believe you are) than you have found what that purpose is. I've redone the devotion for May 7th to reflect this issue. I hope it will clear things up a little.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings