April 30, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

April 30, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:53 pm

Things

Matthew 16:26
"What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul."

How much time do we spend each day thinking about what we would like to possess? Does that time outweigh the moments spent focused upon the Lord? We are a very materialistic people, but then this has always been true in regard to human nature. Many of the teachings of Jesus dealt with how those around Him allowed things and money to become the most important part of their lives. No, things haven't changed much.

George W. Truett, a well-known pastor, was invited to dinner in the home of a very wealthy man in Texas. After the meal, the host led him to a place where they could get a good view of the surrounding area.
Pointing to the oil wells punctuating the landscape, he boasted, "Twenty-five years ago I had nothing. Now, as far as you can see, it's all mine." Looking in the opposite direction at his sprawling fields of grain, he said, "That's all mine." Turning east toward huge herds of cattle, he bragged, "They're all mine." Then pointing to the west and a beautiful forest, he exclaimed, "That too is all mine."
He paused, expecting Dr. Truett to compliment him on his great success. Truett, however, placing one hand on the man's shoulder and pointing heavenward with the other, simply said, "How much do you have in that direction?" The man hung his head and confessed, "I never thought of that."

Prayer: Ask God to help you focus more on Him and less on things.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" ~Steven Wright
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby wiggins » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:01 am

Nice reminder Rev.Doc! Thanks! I need to learn to focus more on God and stay focused on Him all the time.
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Return to Devotional Readings